PDA

View Full Version : How to carry sidearm?

waterdog27
11-07-2012, 3:13 AM
If you carry a sidearm when you hunt, and you wear a backpack, with a waist belt, how do you carry the sidearm? I have an Eberlestock pack and this doesn't allow to effectively draw from the holster. Seems like the only options might be either a thigh rig or a shoulder holster. Any suggestions?

MIAMIbaseballer
11-07-2012, 3:18 AM
drop leg holster

edgerly779
11-07-2012, 3:23 AM
Or cross draw .

NickTheGreek
11-07-2012, 7:19 AM
Upper chest holster. Works well with fishing waders too.

the0thermrt
11-07-2012, 8:02 AM
Upper chest holster. Works well with fishing waders too.

2nd.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/KitBags/tabid/922/Default.aspx

I wear it: hunting, hiking, trail running, mountain biking

DirtyDave
11-07-2012, 8:31 AM
I dont always hunt with a sidearm, but when I do, It's in a drop-leg holster

Shoot-it
11-07-2012, 1:04 PM
Kiester it I heard the new hunters are doing this.

CSACANNONEER
11-07-2012, 1:08 PM
Kiester it I heard the new hunters are doing this.

That would make it an "inside arm" instead is a "sidearm".

KIDRR
11-07-2012, 5:03 PM
I just carry it in a regular belt holster with a 2mag holder on the other side and don't buckle the bottom belt. If I have that much weight it's time to take some stuff out of the pack.

DirtyDave
11-07-2012, 5:05 PM
I just carry it in a regular belt holster with a 2mag holder on the other side and don't buckle the bottom belt. If I have that much weight it's time to take some stuff out of the pack.

Then what happens when you fill that pack with a boned out deer?

KIDRR
11-07-2012, 5:11 PM
Then what happens when you fill that pack with a boned out deer?

Either put the strap under the handgun handle or just take it off and put it in the pack as well.

Rattlesnake6.8
11-07-2012, 5:38 PM
Safariland drop leg holster.

taloft
11-07-2012, 7:23 PM
Just tossing an idea out here. Paddle holster and just attach it to the waist belt on the backpack. That way when you take the pack off, you can just pull the holster off and put it on your waist.:shrug:

newglockster
11-07-2012, 7:27 PM
^^^ Yep

5shot
11-07-2012, 7:41 PM
Just tossing an idea out here. Paddle holster and just attach it to the waist belt on the backpack. That way when you take the pack off, you can just pull the holster off and put it on your waist.:shrug:

That's what I do.

neverfinished
11-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Strange im using a Eberlestock J107 dragonfly with a waist belt as well and i was able to carry a side arm with relative ease on my hip and draw effectively. It took a little bit of shifting though. I found keeping the Holster towards the front with it inverted up a little bit made it work fine and i hiked all over the mountains that way.

If it doesnt work for you though i'd recommend a leg Holster as well.

waterdog27
11-08-2012, 2:31 AM
Thanks for the many ideas. I have a paddle holster that I used to use during training that might work with my pack. The Eberlestock I am using is the Just One and the waist belt pretty much covers my normal holster (Raven Concealment Phantom). The chest holster would work well for ordinary backpacking, but when I am hunting, I am carrying my binos there which would make things pretty awkward.

Abesnake
11-08-2012, 5:36 PM
If you carry a sidearm when you hunt, and you wear a backpack, with a waist belt, how do you carry the sidearm? I have an Eberlestock pack and this doesn't allow to effectively draw from the holster. Seems like the only options might be either a thigh rig or a shoulder holster. Any suggestions?

I've used all three, drop leg, bandolier and shoulder holster. I do sometimes carry a backpack and certainly a water camel. I didn't like the drop leg, because it's heavy on one side, it kinda bangs around and restricts circulation from the usual two tie downs. I also found it catches foliage easily. I liked the bandolier, because my legs were free and it's easy to walk with and draw from. However for me it was like carrying a parachute and difficult to get on and off with the other stuff I wear. I like the shoulder holster the best. I bought a cheap one to wear for a while and then I upgraded. It's easy on the draw, it's up high in the pocket and off my chest. I also have more range of motion to get a shot off without the bandolier on my chest. I went to Alfonso of Hollywood Leather co. in Burbank and spent the money. They have been making everything from saddles and bridles to coin purses by hand for four generations. My Shoulder holster is so comfortable it's like a part of me now. It was a few hundred dollars, but I love hunting and I want to have good equipment and be comfortable. So, once a year I treat myself to something special. My $.02.

kgcabs
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I dont always hunt with a sidearm, but when I do, It's in a drop-leg holster

LOL

This really doesn't help you but I use a Badlands 2800 and it has a holster built in to the waist belt.

billetmann
11-09-2012, 2:13 PM
this is by far the best holster i have used.
if you're carrying a pack andwant to carry a backup -this working very well.

www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

JeffCinSac
11-09-2012, 3:06 PM
.38 +P snubby in right front pocket.