PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a drop leg holster

thetaxguy
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey all,

I have been looking at a lot of holsters and keep coming back to the Safariland Tactical Holster. I will be taking a two gun tactical course and would like to test out the difference between a thigh and hip holster but am not looking to spend $170 to test out the Safariland. I would also need a holster thats compatable with a compact XD-9 and Sig SP2022. Safariland appears to be firearm specific which most likely means that I will be looking for a universal holster (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you have any other suggestions that would be of good quality?

Thanks for your help!

deadcoyote
11-07-2012, 9:14 AM
I know this is a pretty weak answer, but I've been looking for a drop leg holster to carry a Glock 22 with a TLR on it when I'm hunting. I am broke, and don't want to spend $150-$220 for a set up. Cheaper than dirt has a bunch of universal nylon drop leg rigs, uincluding ones that will accept weapon lights, for around $25-$35 bucks.

jessegpresley
11-07-2012, 9:21 AM
Don't buy universal fit holsters. Some (most?) classes won't allow nylon holsters. Drop leg holsters are used to clear body armor or because you have too much junk on your belt to have room for a belt holster. They are not used because they're better than belt holsters. Buy a belt holster specifically made for your gun.

deadcoyote
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Don't buy universal fit holsters. Some (most?) classes won't allow nylon holsters. Drop leg holsters are used to clear body armor or because you have too much junk on your belt to have room for a belt holster. They are not used because they're better than belt holsters. Buy a belt holster specifically made for your gun.

I have a belt holster for my work which I like, a Serpa. My off duty weapon is identical to my work one, it's just we don't use lights at work, been having trouble finding a holster that is Glock 22 and TLR-3 compatible that I can afford. Those drop leg ones looked decent, should hold up to a couple of weeks of use a year.

I agree with you though, drop legs are often used in LE as well by people who don't need them and don't reain with them at all.

*** Sorry, I missed the part about this being for a class, was reading too much of my own situation into this.

thetaxguy
11-07-2012, 9:22 PM

Jesse, I already have belt holsters for both sidearms. During this class we will be fully loaded (plate carriers, packs, etc.). Believe me, if I could I would not hesitate to wear my Serpa, but given the nature of the course, a drop leg would be much more useful.

socalblue
11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Jesse, I already have belt holsters for both sidearms. During this class we will be fully loaded (plate carriers, packs, etc.). Believe me, if I could I would not hesitate to wear my Serpa, but given the nature of the course, a drop leg would be much more useful.

Just by the thigh holster adapter for the Serpa then.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Holster-Platform,814,82.htm

thetaxguy
11-09-2012, 9:37 AM
Just by the thigh holster adapter for the Serpa then.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Holster-Platform,814,82.htm

This response does not address the need for the holster to fit two different firearms. Thanks for the suggestion though.