PDA

View Full Version : Run Silent, Run Deep...Black Ops Generator.

DavidR310
11-05-2012, 11:56 PM
pFDswDCtqAc

http://www.auroragenerators.com/generators/portable-diesel-generators/agi6500sde

http://images-cdn.ecwid.com/images/1273254/48628789.jpg

Thoughts, feedback?....

POLICESTATE
11-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Interesting, certainly my biggest concern with generators during SHTF is the noise and that it will potentially attract unwanted attention.

odysseus
11-06-2012, 12:35 AM
It's interesting for sure, diesel is a plus. It is with that case and exhaust, 363 pounds though. It is a 6500 diesel which those all run heavy. I am wondering though, who makes the motor? And of course, sound is something you have to experience first hand, especially under load. I am wondering how quiet it actually is.

Librarian
11-06-2012, 1:02 AM
Web site says from China.Many other generators made in China ...

LT 69 db noise level - Noise

These types of generators are often referred to as silent. That is because they are much quieter then their open frame versions or a gas equivalent. Aurora Generators are even quieter in competition for a few reasons. Aurora uses higher quality insulation, heavier enclosures and a better muffler system. Two mufflers and a combination flex pipe / catalytic converter is used here. The exhaust is clear and cool. Emissions are cleaner then from a gasoline generator and are safer for the environment.

odysseus
11-06-2012, 1:09 AM
I read the db figure in the specs, but as I was saying real people's experience will be more helpful.

mej16489
11-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Just a footnote on db ratings...

1) Try to make a logical comparison of the distance measurements. i.e. 59db at 10ft compared to 59db at 30ft....59db at 10 feet is 'more quiet'

2) How much more loud is 59db at 10ft vs 62db at 10ft? Answer: twice as loud. Every increase in 3db equals double the sound pressure.

kaligaran
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Every increase in 3db equals double the sound pressure.

Thank you for posting this. I have been shopping for generators and had no idea that 3db would double. That's a lot less than I had expected for that kind of sound difference.

DavidR310
11-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Guess this puts me out of the picture:

Altitude: Not intended for use above 3000 feet

mej16489
11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Thank you for posting this. I have been shopping for generators and had no idea that 3db would double. That's a lot less than I had expected for that kind of sound difference.

Yes, a relatively small number equals quite a substantial change in pressure.

...and now I'm going to muddy the waters a bit.

For most average people even though 3db is technically 2x as loud...it generally takes roughly a 6db increase in pressure for it to 'feel' 2x as loud (for low frequency noise like a generator)

Technical sound pressure vs 'feels like' or 'sounds like' differences can have HUGE variances among different people.

bussda
11-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Not all generators can be legally sold or shipped to California. I skimmed the website and there was nothing saying that it was California approved.

gemoose23
11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Check out these guys, added to my list of homesteading wants: Made in CA.
http://www.hardydiesel.com/diesel-generators/perkins-generator-8-30-kw.html

Theres a video mid page of the noise level of their generator..

DavidR310
11-06-2012, 1:55 PM
Not all generators can be legally sold or shipped to California. I skimmed the website and there was nothing saying that it was California approved.

It doesn't, I am scouring the site for anything.

I did find this:

Aurora makes the engines. They are a single cylinder diesel like the original Yanmar and all those clones you see but without the flywheel generator so it has more power, is shorter and since the alternators are also build in-house, it is not needed. It is built into our own alternator. All parts available on our website. Warranty information is on our "warranty page" and service it depends what is wrong. You really should be able to basic service on your own. That includes oil changes and even a valve adjustment. The manual and videos show this.

Call us or click live chat, we can help you further.

kb58
11-06-2012, 2:04 PM
Check out these guys, added to my list of homesteading wants: Made in CA.
http://www.hardydiesel.com/diesel-generators/perkins-generator-8-30-kw.html

^They start at $6200...

VegasND
11-06-2012, 5:35 PM
I had been wondering about quiet generators. Good links and comments.

BruceR
11-06-2012, 6:06 PM
I'm considering building a generator vault that would not only keep the hardware secure but also kill all noise. A company I used to work for had a co-generation unit downstairs but you wouldn't know it until you walked into the engine room -- and then you needed hearing protection.

The vault would have means to contain engine noise while facilitating the flow of combustion air, cooling air, and exhaust. Sensors could alert me to troubles or even automatically shut off fuel and flood the vault with halon.

I need an outbuilding anyway for the generator -- I might as well build it right.

Dubious_Beans
11-06-2012, 6:37 PM
They don't mention if the 69dB is at full load or at idle.
That could make a very large difference.

email
11-06-2012, 6:40 PM
2.9 gallons for 12 hours of operation at 75% load is very good for 4,000+watts.

1000 meter maximum operation is not as good.

Overall, a neat idea. I hope they continue with development.

Dubious_Beans
11-06-2012, 7:05 PM

I think it says 3.9 gallons, not 2.9.
And I'm assuming that's 75% of it's CONTINUOUS rated load (5KW), not peak load (6.5KW). That would be 3750 watts.

Still not bad fuel consumption though.

Lifeon2whls
11-06-2012, 9:40 PM
Seems like a waste of money.

Next time you experience a complete power outage, walk outside and simply listen. You can hear so many things you didn't realize were out there. A "silent" 69 db genny is going to be heard by everyone around you.

As someone else mentioned, you need to build an enclosure for it with sound proofing materials and a serious exhaust system to eliminate the noise enough for others not to hear. When I worked on TV sets and we needed additional power, they would bring in this diesel gennys on trailers that would be completely insulated. You had no idea they were running unless you looked up and saw the exhaust coming out...and that was the point because we didnt want the drone of a genny in the background of all of our shots.

Or, simply learn to live without power.

drunktank
11-07-2012, 7:33 AM
On paper, it seems decent for the money. Made in china generator is a no go for me though.

They make it seem like 69db is silent but its far from it. My One of my Hondas is 49dB and you can hear it next door if it's sitting in the front yard...

Here's a quick and cheap "fix" to help lessen noise. If you're on dirt, dig a hole to set the generator down in so the sound travels up. Otherwise, build a little wall (permanent or portable) around the generator for the same effect. It helps a bit and with a Honda, is usually enough to stay incognito.

billped
11-07-2012, 1:19 PM
Yes, a relatively small number equals quite a substantial change in pressure.

...and now I'm going to muddy the waters a bit.

For most average people even though 3db is technically 2x as loud...it generally takes roughly a 6db increase in pressure for it to 'feel' 2x as loud (for low frequency noise like a generator)

Technical sound pressure vs 'feels like' or 'sounds like' differences can have HUGE variances among different people.

Sometimes more important than the actual perceived volume is the frequency or other tonal characteristics of the sound. Most would prefer a consistent purr over a rattling/grinding sound, even if the former is technically louder. Consider the difference between a fan in your bedroom vs. a dripping faucet - the fan is almost certainly louder, but we know which one drives us nuts.

Bottom line: listen to it and make your own decision.

DavidR310
11-07-2012, 1:48 PM
On paper, it seems decent for the money. Made in china generator is a no go for me though.

They make it seem like 69db is silent but its far from it. My One of my Hondas is 49dB and you can hear it next door if it's sitting in the front yard...

Here's a quick and cheap "fix" to help lessen noise. If you're on dirt, dig a hole to set the generator down in so the sound travels up. Otherwise, build a little wall (permanent or portable) around the generator for the same effect. It helps a bit and with a Honda, is usually enough to stay incognito.

They're not made in China, they are made in Canada. Librarian quoted something way out of text.

A group of us decided it was time to buy some generators. Honda was a common name we were all familiar with but, they were too expensive. We found a similar generator made in China. It cost less than Honda. We received two of them for evaluation and to demonstrate to others. The response was positive.

Collectively the group of us with backgrounds in electrical trades, marketing and customer service, became the largest online distributor of these generators in North America. Unfortunately like many products, the manufacturer started to trade quality for cost savings. We were not happy with the direction this product was taking us. We had to find another niche.

That niche was diesel generators. Diesel engines have a much higher compression ratio than gasoline engines. Because of this, the strength of parts used is much higher. Since they can last more than twice as long, diesel was far more appealing to us. The trouble was, and the advantage today is, the markets flooded with low quality made in China generators. So many other brands are all virtually the same product with just another name on it.

For Aurora diesel generators to be unique, we designed them differently. We also used higher-quality materials and performed our own quality control. We also added features not found on other products. More importantly, we would prove to consumers that we have a better product. This is how we did it...

DavidR310
11-07-2012, 1:51 PM
Sometimes more important than the actual perceived volume is the frequency or other tonal characteristics of the sound. Most would prefer a consistent purr over a rattling/grinding sound, even if the former is technically louder. Consider the difference between a fan in your bedroom vs. a dripping faucet - the fan is almost certainly louder, but we know which one drives us nuts.

Very true, it does seem more like a purr on the video which is a more pleasant tone.

mej16489
11-07-2012, 1:53 PM

Absolutely!

DavidR310
11-07-2012, 2:34 PM

They talk about why that rating in detail here:

www.auroragenerators.com/resources/articles/buyer-guides/59-diesel-high-altitude (http://www.auroragenerators.com/resources/articles/buyer-guides/59-diesel-high-altitude)

Librarian
11-07-2012, 3:06 PM
They're not made in China, they are made in Canada. Librarian quoted something way out of text.

That's possible.

On what page of their web site do they state the generators or the engines are manufactured in Canada?

They are in Canada. That's clear.

DavidR310
11-07-2012, 3:30 PM
That's possible.

On what page of their web site do they state the generators or the engines are manufactured in Canada?

They are in Canada. That's clear.

Per the discussion forum:

Aurora makes the engines. They are a single cylinder diesel like the original Yanmar and all those clones you see but without the flywheel generator so it has more power, is shorter and since the alternators are also build in-house, it is not needed. It is built into our own alternator. All parts available on our website. Warranty information is on our "warranty page" and service it depends what is wrong. You really should be able to basic service on your own. That includes oil changes and even a valve adjustment. The manual and videos show this.

Call us or click live chat, we can help you further.

I'm calling them tomorrow and find out for sure. Plus, I am still wondering about CARB requirements.

David

Dubious_Beans
11-07-2012, 3:42 PM
Aurora makes the engines.

That doesn't necessarily mean they make them in Canada.

Apple is an American company and they make iPads, but the pads sure as hell ain't made in America.

CAL.BAR
11-07-2012, 3:47 PM
Meh...Get a Honda 3000IS or 4000is. Can be converted to tri fuel (diesel may not be available after a disaster) and is just as quiet.

drunktank
11-07-2012, 3:50 PM
Ironically, I just noticed that a Honda 3000 generator had been running right next to me all day and I didn't notice it ;) !

Yeah, hopefully none of their stuff is made or manufactured in China. Their stuff is too hit and miss.

DavidR310
11-07-2012, 4:15 PM
Meh...Get a Honda 3000IS or 4000is. Can be converted to tri fuel (diesel may not be available after a disaster) and is just as quiet.

Has anyone ever duracoated a Honda eu? Hmmm.....

Edit*

This is close

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/444300_L1?$product$

freonr22
12-12-2012, 5:54 PM
Looks like a kippor different label