PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Creep on Basix Trigger - Marlin 925 R

ggunner
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I recently installed a Basix trigger on my Marlin 925 R. I'm fairly new to shooting and did the job myself (probably a mistake, but an inevitable part of the learning process) and I'm not sure if I bungled it. I've read that Basix triggers are supposed to have very little creep. However, I notice that there's a slight, but definite creep on the uptake. It feels like a "two stage" trigger pull where I gently squeeze the trigger and it sets it at a catch point, right before it will fire.

Anyone experience a similar problem and know how to fix it? I may have added insult to injury by applying Loctite to some of the components, as I was directed to do so by the installation manual. (Lesson learned: test the gun first before Loctiting anything!) Any thoughts on how to unLoctite the Loctited screws?

As always, thanks for your help.

Izzy43
11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I installed the same trigger a couple of years ago in my Marlin 925M. No creep at all. Did you adjust the trigger? What kind of Loctite did you use, Red or Blue? If blue you should be able to loosen things up with no problem, if red the only way I have heard to loosen that is with heat. Try a hair dryer although I have never done that myself. Lesson learned, never use Red Loctite on a firearm if that's what you used. Also except for hardware that gets a lot of stress and torgue, fingernail polish works quite well for keeping nuts/bolts tight.

If you have adjusted the trigger already I would suggest giving RifleBasix a call and see what they suggest.

ggunner
11-05-2012, 1:34 PM
Hi Izzy, I used the blue kind. I've tried loosening the sear adjustment screw but I stripped my allen wrench :/

ggunner
11-05-2012, 1:58 PM
Okay, I tried soaking acitone and heat. That seems to have loosed the screw.

Izzy43
11-05-2012, 2:43 PM
Okay, I tried soaking acitone and heat. That seems to have loosed the screw.

The sear adjustment should eliminate your creep. Also when adjusting weight of pull periodically check to ensure that the bolt does not come out of the action when cycling. Sometimes if the weight of pull is adjusted too lightly this can happen. Its not a safety issue but it can be a surprise if you cycle the bolt and it comes completely out of the action.

ggunner
11-09-2012, 9:15 PM
The sear adjustment should eliminate your creep. Also when adjusting weight of pull periodically check to ensure that the bolt does not come out of the action when cycling. Sometimes if the weight of pull is adjusted too lightly this can happen. Its not a safety issue but it can be a surprise if you cycle the bolt and it comes completely out of the action.

Izzy, I still can't seem to get this right. I've installed all of the parts, but for some reason, when I cock and close the bolt, the safety won't engage. Here's a pic of the trigger:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax981ht0e4zs5b2/2012-11-09%2021.12.04.jpg

ggunner
11-09-2012, 9:26 PM
And how do you know where to set the sear and trigger weight screws? Thanks!

Izzy43
11-10-2012, 8:52 AM
And how do you know where to set the sear and trigger weight screws? Thanks!

I had that same problem but I just can't remember which adjustment I made to solve it. I would start with the weight of trigger pull, adjust a little then recheck the safety. If you still can't get it right send me a PM and I'll remove my action and adjust mine to see it I can figure it out.