PDA

View Full Version : Torquewrench for scope rings? IOR scope

mr2.0
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Do any of you guys use a torque wrench to tight down the rings on the IOR scope? I've never use a torque wrench before for scope rings, just hand tight, but I'm a little concern because the manual from IOR said to tight the rings no more than 12 in/lbs. I have the IOR tactical 16x42

I read somewhere in the ARF where the guy over tight the rings, damage the tube and caused the side focus wheel on one of the IOR scope permanently damage.

So where is the cheapest place to pick up cheap torque wrench for cheap ( minimum 10 in/lbs)? The cheapest I've found local was about $160. Thanks

M. Sage
07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
He musta really reefed on those rings.

Aren't they flat-head screws? Unless you get all Ahhnold on them, you should be ok. Getting a torque wrench that small... and keep in mind, you want 12 in/lb to be in about the middle of the wrench's adjustment range, since mid-range is where it's most accurate.

Use a screwdriver with a skinny and uncomfortable handle if you're worried.

SDJim
07-21-2007, 1:04 PM
So where is the cheapest place to pick up cheap torque wrench for cheap ( minimum 10 in/lbs)? The cheapest I've found local was about $160. Thanks

There's this from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23322&title=SCOPE+RING+TORQUE+WRENCH

Or maybe some of these from Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=torque&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=8&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=12&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

mr2.0
07-21-2007, 1:12 PM
Cool, thanks guys, I like the idea of T-handle, but the FAT from Midway probably suit me best. Thanks again.

mr2.0
07-21-2007, 1:14 PM
He musta really reefed on those rings.

Aren't they flat-head screws? Unless you get all Ahhnold on them, you should be ok. Getting a torque wrench that small... and keep in mind, you want 12 in/lb to be in about the middle of the wrench's adjustment range, since mid-range is where it's most accurate.

Use a screwdriver with a skinny and uncomfortable handle if you're worried.
I have TPS rings and they come with torx screws.

rksimple
07-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Scott at Liberty Optics has the one you need for IOR. I think they're around 50 bucks shipped.

mr2.0
07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Scott at Liberty Optics has the one you need for IOR. I think they're around 50 bucks shipped.
Thanks.