PDA

View Full Version : Survival/BOB

firemanjoe
11-04-2012, 7:00 AM
I'm putting together a new bag intended more for survival in the event of a natural disaster rather than a bug out bag even though most of their contents may be the same. I have a great pack that is perfect but it's red and I'm afraid it may make me stand as a potential target by those who are less prepared. Should I invest in a pack that's not so obvious? What do you guys think?

C.Bronson
11-04-2012, 7:09 AM
Buy a USGI Assault pack. Woodland camo is what I went with. I have lots of bags and they are my favorites by far. They can be found for 60 or less. I just got another one in used condition for 30 shipped. Youtube-google USGI Assault Pack. They are great.

As far as a red pack goes, I'd pass. To much "HEY! LOOK AT ME!" factor. The right pack is like finding the right tool for the job. All packs carry stuff, but not all packs cover what you'd like in a pack. Happy hunting and good luck.

CAHighSierra
11-04-2012, 7:13 AM
Red, blue, yellow, whats the difference? If someone wants your stuff, they are gonna get it. People that are desperate are going to go after anything that moves. Use your money on something else you need if you already have a suitable pack. .02

stitch_paradox
11-04-2012, 8:44 AM
Invest in a pack with good ergonomics. Try fully loading your pack with all of your gear and hike with it for at least 3 miles. As for the color I would go for subdued colors like ME green, no cammo for me. It screams "I'm a survivalist and I have awesome gears"

Onetyme
11-04-2012, 4:27 PM
CA has a good point. But the ergo piece is pretty important. I have a couple UM21's of eBay. Besides being a tank it's very comfortable. I do a 6 mile hike most weekends with no back problems. my assault pack is loaded to 40lbs.

However, don't forget to have a really good pair of boots as well.

mcmikeblues7
11-04-2012, 4:30 PM
get all of your gear, then buy a pack that fits everything with not a lot of space left over.

DavidR310
11-04-2012, 4:38 PM
If you have the perfect pack fit wise, but don't like the emergency red color, get a rain cover.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Snugpak_Aquacover/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=USA&currency=USD&country=USA&SelectedBundle=173949&SelectedItem=614826&gclid=CO_Cz6LYtrMCFS6CQgodq3cA4g

Having a good fitting backpack is important.

TheChief
11-04-2012, 4:38 PM
If you like your pack and can load all your gear in it, then go buy a neutral colored rain cover for it. REI and Amazon have many different sizes.

Use "packcover" as your search term.

http://www.rei.com/product/757910/sea-to-summit-ultra-light-packcover-large

DavidR310
11-04-2012, 4:40 PM
^Great minds think alike.

slam128
11-04-2012, 4:50 PM
Buy a camo poncho or a black colored rain cover bag to disguise it. Also, can't you just sew a cover on to make it look a bit "ghetto" so people won't even look twice? In a pinch, I'd cover it up with a $0.10 black trash bag and call it a day.

whlgun
11-04-2012, 5:12 PM
My one problem with my BOB is that it looks "tactical". I don't fear that the unprepared will catch on to me being prepared. I worry the prepared will know I'm prepared and fear me. I don't like that I may be seen as a threat to those that know what it is that I have decided to carry.

You can always tell the difference between sheeple and the wolves.

Wolves fear other wolves.

jmsenk
11-04-2012, 6:06 PM
My one problem with my BOB is that it looks "tactical". I don't fear that the unprepared will catch on to me being prepared. I worry the prepared will know I'm prepared and fear me. I don't like that I may be seen as a threat to those that know what it is that I have decided to carry.

You can always tell the difference between sheeple and the wolves.

Wolves fear other wolves.

Wolves also run in packs. So do Sheep Dogs. My BOB isn't cammoed out or anything like that, but it is certainly tactical. I also frequently sport a 5.11 hat with my American Flag and an Airborne or Mountain Tab on the back of it (depending on my mood - Paratrooper or Lightfighter) It gets nods from people in the know, and completely ignored by the vast majority of society. More often than not, those who have spent a lifetime dedicated to something greater than themselves, are not going to be the ones who prey on those around them. Subtle, but still tactical gear, is like raising a flag to anyone you encounter who knows how to handle themselves, signaling that you do too.

From the opposite standpoint, If those who know what tactical looks like happen to be from the other end of society, then they will still recognize you, and leave you be, because they know you'll put up a fight, and thats not something that they need right now.

If someone sees my pack and thinks that I have gear and will be easy pickings, then they're about to have themselves a hard day. Win or lose, I won't go quietly.