PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me (please) cuz I'm stoopid

Rob P.
07-20-2007, 2:06 PM
I have an Italian Carcano rifle (WWII vintage) and it uses ammo clips (not a magazine) that are inserted into the "well" from above when the bolt is open. 6 round, single stack, stripper clips.

As I'm unfamliar with evil black rifles (never having fondled one) I don't know the following:

Is the upper able to be "tilted" exposing the internals? It looks like the upper pivots on some sort of front "pin". does it tilt on this "pin"?

If so, can stripper clips be used to insert > 10 rnds into the OPEN magazine well from above after the upper is opened? The clips could be double stack & made of plastic and they just drop out the bottom after the last round is fired. The clips hold the ammo until after the last one is chambered.

Since the mag well is open, there is no "magazine" to insert into it. And, if the lower is modified, there's no way to hold a magazine if one were to try to insert it. One must physically OPEN the action to insert the strips from above.

Or do you think the BOF/DOJ would consider 15 round stripper clips to be "top-loading magazines"?

Like I said above, I'm stoopid and don't know the answers to these questions.

Blue
07-20-2007, 2:10 PM
I have an Italian Carcano rifle (WWII vintage) and it uses ammo clips (not a magazine) that are inserted into the "well" from above when the bolt is open. 6 round, single stack, stripper clips.

As I'm unfamliar with evil black rifles (never having fondled one) I don't know the following:

Is the upper able to be "tilted" exposing the internals? It looks like the upper pivots on some sort of front "pin". does it tilt on this "pin"?

If so, can stripper clips be used to insert > 10 rnds into the OPEN magazine well from above after the upper is opened? The clips could be double stack & made of plastic and they just drop out the bottom after the last round is fired. The clips hold the ammo until after the last one is chambered.

Since the mag well is open, there is no "magazine" to insert into it. And, if the lower is modified, there's no way to hold a magazine if one were to try to insert it. One must physically OPEN the action to insert the strips from above.
Or do you think the BOF/DOJ would consider 15 round stripper clips to be "top-loading magazines"?

Like I said above, I'm stoopid and don't know the answers to these questions.

With topfed AR's, a magazine is pinned/locked into the lower. The magazine cannot hold more than 10rds. When using a stripper clip, you also use a "spoon". The spoon straddles the magazine, and has a guide for the stripper clips. The stripper clip is removed entirely from the gun/magazine once you load the magazine with it. Yes the upper hinges on that pin. When hinged, the lower's firecontrol group and upper half of the magazine are exposed.

M. Sage
07-20-2007, 5:57 PM
Clips greater than ten rounds are prohibited anyway. I see where you're going with it.

Besides, the en bloc needs to sit in a magazine of some sort anyway...