PDA

View Full Version : AK's, MonsterMan, and compliance parts

Blue
07-20-2007, 1:12 PM
Will a MM grip count as a compliance part even though it's not really a "pistol" grip?

caduckgunner
07-20-2007, 1:17 PM
I don't think it matters, if you remove the pistol grip, that is one less foreign part you need to replace. I'm building mine with the following US parts, FCG (3), receiver (1), and muzzle brake (1). 922 is bassed on foreign parts on the gun, not us parts on the gun.

jumbopanda
07-20-2007, 1:30 PM
Exactly right, the lack of a foreign part is what counts, not the presence of a US part.

bigthaiboy
07-20-2007, 3:53 PM
With my first AK build (95% completed) I went a little overboard on the 922(R) US parts -

Receiver (1)
Trigger group (3)
Gas piston (1)
Muzzle brake (1)
Magazine (3)
Synthetic foregrip (1)
MM grip (1)
Synthetic buttstock (1)

That's 12 compliant parts. Total overkill, I know. Rifle seems to function well though. Next time I'll keep it down to about 6 or 7 parts.

Question : Does removing the foregrip pistol grip and regular pistol grip, plus welding a Tapco extended muzzle brake / barrel extension on an AMD-65, count as 3 less imported parts?

jumbopanda
07-20-2007, 3:57 PM
Question : Does removing the foregrip pistol grip and regular pistol grip, plus welding a Tapco extended muzzle brake / barrel extension on an AMD-65, count as 3 less imported parts?

Yes.

And by the way, you have waaay too many US parts! The only foreign parts are what, barrel, trunnion, bolt carrier, and bolt?

bigthaiboy
07-20-2007, 4:14 PM
And by the way, you have waaay too many US parts! The only foreign parts are what, barrel, trunnion, bolt carrier, and bolt?

Yes, I know, I went a little 922((r) crazy. I may share some of the U.S. made parts over to my next build. Presently, this is around a 75% U.S parts build! Problem was, it took me quite some time before I could find a NDS-3 reciever, so I was shopping for parts over a period of a few months and had kind of lost count of how many parts I had actually bought.

Mind you it was interesting to change out things like the gas piston - which was much more involved than I had anticipated - not like changing one out on an SKS at all!

RobT2K
07-20-2007, 4:38 PM
BigThai-
What muzzle brake is that? I like the looks of that one, plus it looks like it would work better than the Tapco slant brake I have.

bigthaiboy
07-20-2007, 6:03 PM
I got it at http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/
and it is described as an A2 style muzzle brake ($12.00).

swhatb
07-20-2007, 10:57 PM

nice... were can i find a pup like that :confused:

07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Are U.S. made parts for AK's that bad?

bigthaiboy
07-22-2007, 3:01 PM
Are U.S. made parts for AK's that bad?

I'm not sure where you have made that observation, but in my opinion, the US parts are often as good or superior in quality and finish as the original parts you are swapping out. After all the AK rifle is not universally recognised for it's precision engineering and quality finishes. If you are comparing the quality of the AK US made parts with US made AR parts, then there is no comparison, but then you are not using AR materials and paying AR prices.

The AK platform has several limitations, so will never be considered by almost all people as an adequate platform to build into any kind of match grade rifle, which explains why nobody appears to be manufacturing the $200+ drop-in precision triggers for the AK. For example, I think it is generally recognised that most AK builders are using the Tapco G2 trigger group, which is a great improvement over the original at $40 a set. By AK standards, the G2 trigger group is considered good quality. Many builders just need adequate quality parts to generally there to make the AK 922(r) compliant.