PDA

View Full Version : If you're not prepping, this might be you.

Yehosha
11-01-2012, 1:52 PM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-seen-on/176839571.html

I'm still baffled that people don't prepare better when they know for certain a disaster is on the way. These people had a week to get ready and did nothing. In CA we will not have such a luxury for a major earthquake, so you need to be getting ready NOW.

If you are not prepping for disasters like earthquakes, then I fear you and your family will one day regret that decision.

We spend big money on insurances of all kinds to protect ourselves and our belongings, so how does it not make sense to spend a little time and money to protect yourself and those you care about from a potential disaster? Do you want to be self-sufficient when a crisis hits, or do you want to be dumpster diving and having to rely on FEMA for everything?

To me the choice is easy.

Toyman321
11-01-2012, 6:17 PM
We had this exact discussion at work, the comment from one of my coworkers was something along the lines of "but who actually has a stockpile of water at their house?"

People like that are the reason you don't advertise to the neighbors what you have stored.

Armed24-7
11-01-2012, 6:27 PM
Many years ago, a drill instructor in the academy use to tell us, "You have to stay ready to be ready." He drilled it into our heads and it is so true, especially in CA.

I am not a hard core prepper, but I feel I am ready for life after a catastrophic earthquake and little to no law enforcement help.

DavidR310
11-01-2012, 6:32 PM
Yeah it is sad, I saw the news where this two kids died in a car that was swept away in the storm. They blame the guy who didn't let her in.

They said she was looking for shelter. What the heck was she doing out in the storm with kids anyway? I wish the mom died for her stupidity and the kids lived. Sad.

Eldraque
11-01-2012, 6:35 PM
my mom started storing water on her own. I was surprised. she has been simply sterilizing gallon milk containers once we finish the milk. filling with water and freezing some, and just storing the rest in the garage.

snubbyfan
11-01-2012, 6:41 PM
Living up here, being prepared is commonplace. Storms, power outages, flooded roads and getting snowed in are normal events. Ya need to be prepared to live without power, water, etc. for a week or more at a time.
I do gotta admit that after the last power outage, we splurged and got a generator for the next time.

dave3223
11-01-2012, 6:47 PM
One thing to take into consideration however is that not everyone who finds themselves unprepared is a sheep. Let's realize that in hurricane areas, many people actually do prepare. However, after a hurricane (or earthquake or whatever), the damage to property can be so extreme that a person's home (and preparedness supplies) can be swept away in an instant.

CBlacksheep
11-01-2012, 6:49 PM
my mom started storing water on her own. I was surprised. she has been simply sterilizing gallon milk containers once we finish the milk. filling with water and freezing some, and just storing the rest in the garage.

This.

Even when one runs very low on food, a large supply of potable water will sustain life.

llamatrnr
11-01-2012, 6:58 PM
It's gonna get a whole lot worse . . .

CessnaDriver
11-01-2012, 7:00 PM
I wonder how many people have no clue their water heater is full of.... water.

CAHighSierra
11-01-2012, 7:06 PM

Milk jugs are not good longterm storage containers.

89burban
11-01-2012, 7:11 PM
Talked to customer from New Jersey today. he said the news isn't getting it right, it's way worse then they are showing. People are beating each other over gas and other items it's getting ugly.

barbasol
11-01-2012, 7:47 PM
When I brought home the 55 gal barrels bought from another cgunner my wife chuckled. Now she feels weird when they are empty while i refill. We have enough water for 30 days for my family but I feel like we need more barrels. I'm also very concerned that if an event is so serious that I need my 30 day supply of water, who knows what will have happened to my supplies.

kaligaran
11-01-2012, 7:49 PM
Milk jugs are not good longterm storage containers.

Why aren't they good for water? I know the lids aren't tight but should be ok for water AFAIK.

Personally, I use 2L soda bottles that are properly steralized and even treat the water with 6-8 drops of bleach before storing. Better seal with the screw top lids.

ZombieTactics
11-01-2012, 7:49 PM
I have several 55-gallon barrels available at $20/ea. PM if interested.

CAHighSierra
11-01-2012, 7:51 PM
Why aren't they good for water? I know the lids aren't tight but should be ok for water AFAIK.

Personally, I use 2L soda bottles that are properly steralized and even treat the water with 6-8 drops of bleach before storing. Better seal with the screw top lids.

Milkjugs start to break down and leach into the liquid inside them after time.

DavidR310
11-01-2012, 8:25 PM

Unless you went with instant water heaters.

chris
11-01-2012, 8:27 PM

i thought it it was full of pee. :D

Rider1k
11-01-2012, 8:29 PM
Unless you went with instant water heaters.

besides the water heater there is clean water in the tank of your toilet and also you have water in all the piping in your house.

EM2
11-01-2012, 8:53 PM
not a problem, we have a 3500 gallon storage tank & a 10,000 gallon swimming pool.

try this:

http://hydromissions.org/products/

http://hydromissions.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/slapshotconstruction.pdf

11HE9
11-01-2012, 8:59 PM
Do you want to be self-sufficient when a crisis hits, or do you want to be dumpster diving and having to rely on FEMA for everything?

To me the choice is easy.

I always joke that if a "big event" happens in my area and I'm not killed or completely whiped out, when the rescue choppers fly over my house they may see NEED BEER on my roof :p

If FEMA is offering something (food, water, fuel, etc...), I'll take it as long as there are no rules attached. I will not disarm, I will not be seperated from my family (dogs are family too), I will not leave my home.

kaligaran
11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Milkjugs start to break down and leach into the liquid inside them after time.

Ah I have heard that but had totally forgot about it. They are made of biodegradable plastics if I remember correctly and that's why.

So I immediatly googled 2L soda bottles to see if they were too. And the answer is 'no'. /whew, I was concerned I might have needed to rethink my cheap-o water storage. :D

Laythor
11-01-2012, 10:32 PM
people who don't even have a week of food deserve to be dumpster diving. I mean really? How in the heck did you run out of food in less then a week???

I did like the follow up video: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Anger-Grows-Among-Storm-Victims-in-Howard-Beach/176897431

people complaining about how no one is helping them... right as the mailman drops off their mail and walks to the next house. Yep, living in hell out there, you poor people.

AwakeAware1016
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Long-Lines-for-Gas-in-Sandy-Aftermath/176705621

Store gas. Rotate it and don't go below 3/4

zatoh
11-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Just got my order of Pri-G in. Now to refill and treat my supply! Also, inverters are cheap. Everyone should have at least one.

comblock
11-02-2012, 1:17 AM
take up backpacking and camping. You will most certainly have enough food for a month at least.

Dutch3
11-02-2012, 3:59 AM
people who don't even have a week of food deserve to be dumpster diving. I mean really? How in the heck did you run out of food in less then a week???

Unfortunately, many people rely on fast food joints and convenience stores for their daily subsistence. The concept of actually preparing a meal at home is foreign to them if it doesn't involve a microwave oven.

I know several people who live like that and the excuse is always "Well, I live alone so it doesn't make sense to cook anything or have a pantry full of food that will go to waste, blah, blah, blah..."

bob7122
11-02-2012, 6:13 AM

I did like the follow up video: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Anger-Grows-Among-Storm-Victims-in-Howard-Beach/176897431

people complaining about how no one is helping them... right as the mailman drops off their mail and walks to the next house. Yep, living in hell out there, you poor people.

poor people...

sunborder
11-02-2012, 7:13 AM
For some who are living on the edge of their budgets (Economic recession, anyone? Woman with children whose spouse became abusive and is now on public assistance? Seniors with a minimal fixed income and high medical expenses?), a major disruption like this *at the end of the month* means that they may very well not have a week's worth of food just lying around the house. As gun owners/enthusiasts, most of us have considerably more disposable income than folks living in the poorer neighborhoods of New Jersey or outlying areas of NYC.

My family is breaking even on expenses right now, and no money for guns/toys, but we do have a food stockpile left over from better times that we cycle through to keep fresh. Lots of folks don't have this option. Also, in NYC where rents are sky high, some people literally don't have room in their living space to keep large stockpiles of food lying around. Large fridges and bountiful cabinet space are not part of NYC life (for the 99%) for this reason.

Moto
11-02-2012, 7:22 AM
Hundreds of years ago in Europe when drinking any type of water in the city was dangerous, everyone (even children) drank beer.

Forget water, stockpile BEER! :)

Barbarossa
11-02-2012, 7:55 AM
If I lost power for a week, I'd have to do A LOT of smoking. Deer, fish, duck etc...

MudCamper
11-02-2012, 7:59 AM

I've seen a few news stories like this, and these people make me f'n sick. They sit there and complain that the government isn't there to help them? Why don't they pick up a damn shovel and help themselves! Worthless leeches.

kcjr1125
11-02-2012, 8:02 AM
it is tragic to see this. it is also survival and i would do what i have to to survive including dumpster diving.

d4v0s
11-02-2012, 8:07 AM

dont forget a little bleech (google the ratios) to make it last a long time!

llamatrnr
11-02-2012, 8:44 AM
It's gonna get a whole lot worse . . .

It has. It'll get real interesting when folks run out of prescription meds; anti-psychotics and insulin come to mind . . .

kb58
11-02-2012, 9:10 AM
It's human nature to not want to think about bad things. Unfortunately, humans' attraction to religion plays into this, where we've gotten it into our heads that if we believe in something hard enough (the storm will be small, there won't be an earthquake, and believing in government conspiracies) the thought gets internalized as fact. Where it all goes wrong is that once it transitions to "fact", it get's acted upon as such, like "deciding" that a storm will be small and therefore not needing to prepare. We are our own worst enemy.

kb58
11-02-2012, 9:18 AM
One thing to take into consideration however is that not everyone who finds themselves unprepared is a sheep. Let's realize that in hurricane areas, many people actually do prepare. However, after a hurricane (or earthquake or whatever), the damage to property can be so extreme that a person's home (and preparedness supplies) can be swept away in an instant.
Agreed. A perfect example is a prepper who's home gets burned to the ground during a storm. Even though they did all the right things, they may end up just as homeless as someone who did nothing.

speedrrracer
11-02-2012, 9:53 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/11/02/us/20121102_HP_AFTER_SANDY-slide-Z83N/20121102_HP_AFTER_SANDY-slide-Z83N-articleLarge.jpg

If you need to motivate someone, look at all the pictures at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/nyregion/recovery-efforts-after-hurricane-sandy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 (unless you think the NY Times is a liberal media outlet that only publishes lies, in which case these pictures are lies, and I guess NY is having a big party right now and nothing is wrong).

And this was from a storm that they knew was coming! They had advance warning from all sides. Imagine a big quake here in CA -- much, much worse. Keep your preps secret...

slam128
11-02-2012, 9:59 AM
The field reports from Sandy, Katrina, Chile earthquake is a great reminder to be self sufficient. You can't count on the gov, red cross, other people for your own safety and well being. If this last storm is not evidence of that, then people are just not accepting reality. I totally agree with the OP - they were very fortunate to have advance warning. Here in CA, there's no warning for earthquakes or even fires. As insensitive at it may be, right now is a good time to take note on how SHTF will start. Learn from others mistakes so you can be better prepared.

slam128
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Do NOT store your water containers on concrete. Place something like a board or some wood to separate contact between the plastic and the concrete.

CAL.BAR
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
What amazes me is that THESE PEOPLE KNEW THIS WAS COMING. I can understand an earthquake or something, but they had over a week to get ready!

People standing in line for gas - really - couldn't fill up a week early?

I saw one retard who had driven "30 miles" to get gas...for his generator (he had a 2 gal., can! Really?? what about the gallons you just WASTED driving to get gas (when you had it in your car the whole time!

jonnyt16
11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not above admitting that while I definitely have some preps in place, I'm nowhere near where I should be. For instance, I don't have any gasoline stored (except in our car's tanks).

kaligaran
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not above admitting that while I definitely have some preps in place, I'm nowhere near where I should be. For instance, I don't have any gasoline stored (except in our car's tanks).

Same, I keep my tank about half but I was just talking to my significant other about this today.

Time to start yet another storage. :)

Sunday
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Liberals,,, The government is here to help us and take care of us. They be city folks.

bloodhawke83
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
It has. It'll get real interesting when folks run out of prescription meds; anti-psychotics and insulin come to mind . . .

My mom would die without insulin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

triggatronic
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
It's sad, most people aren't prepared. I'm not going to be one of those people. I've been stocking up on non-perishables, medical supplies and whatnot for the last couple months. Every paycheck I get I add on even if it's just $20 spent.

Thanks guys for the tips on cheap water storage. That's the next phase of this project.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

llamatrnr
11-02-2012, 11:41 AM

...and you'd be willing to do just about anything to obtain some, as will the hundreds or thousands of others in your (mom's) situation, correct? (rhetorical question)

FeuerFrei
11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
There's a lot of "GTSS" going on in these big cities. (Govt Teet Sucking Syndrome)
Wheres my benevolent govt to come and fix me and mine? Wheres my food? Water? Clothes? Shelter?
The "teet" is disfunctional and inept at best. People should learn the lessons from others misery and start being prepared now.
I look at the gas lines, heated arguments that lead to worse, no food or shelter to be had. No ATMs operational and CC is worthless without power.
Watching human nature at work. Lowest comon denominator will soon be reached and people will realise that they need to depend on them selves and not their govt.
I say to those that are prepared; Help others if you can. Do all you can and keep safe.

k1dude
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I've seen a few news stories like this, and these people make me f'n sick. They sit there and complain that the government isn't there to help them? Why don't they pick up a damn shovel and help themselves! Worthless leeches.

They're called Obama voters and they make up about half the nation or more. Think they'll still vote for bigger government after this? Yup. Count on it.

k1dude
11-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Agreed. A perfect example is a prepper who's home gets burned to the ground during a storm. Even though they did all the right things, they may end up just as homeless as someone who did nothing.

That's why I have both bug-out bags and get-home-bags. I can live indefinitely with my BOB and at least a week with my GHB.

If a prepper is truly prepped, they would still be OK if they had BOB's for everyone in the house. That's why it's also a good idea to have a supply cache buried somewhere.

A true prepper would be OK after the house burned down.

CAL.BAR
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Yes, but insulin is RX so you can't just go get a whole bunch, and even if you could, it doesn't store very well or for very long. (Mom's SOL if it gets bad enough)

k1dude
11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
There's a lot of "GTSS" going on in these big cities. (Govt Teet Sucking Syndrome)
Wheres my benevolent govt to come and fix me and mine? Wheres my food? Water? Clothes? Shelter?
The "teet" is disfunctional and inept at best. People should learn the lessons from others misery and start being prepared now.
I look at the gas lines, heated arguments that lead to worse, no food or shelter to be had. No ATMs operational and CC is worthless without power.
Watching human nature at work. Lowest comon denominator will soon be reached and people will realise that they need to depend on them selves and not their govt.

I disagree with the bolded portion. If you know liberals like I know liberals, they think the fix for future disasters will be to tax those evil rich people even more to create an even larger government. Because the reason the government isn't there to help them in their time of need is because the government is too small and currently doesn't have enough power and resources.

Bert Gamble
11-09-2012, 7:03 AM

Agreed. I am actually only taking half of the recommended dosage of my prescriptions but still refilling them on schedule to have some in reserve.

Nothing as serious as insulin of course. Never though about this until I read "One Minute After". I will admit that it scared me a bit.

railgunner
11-09-2012, 7:36 AM
Saw a news clip of a reporter interviewing one of the unprepared residents hit by Sandy. They were complaining and being real critical that the Red Cross had not even been there to help them. The new reporter interupted the lady and asked her if she had ever donated to the Red Cross. The lady stood there with a stupid look on her face for awhile then said "NO"

Oceanbob
11-09-2012, 7:57 AM
Yes, but insulin is RX so you can't just go get a whole bunch, and even if you could, it doesn't store very well or for very long. (Mom's SOL if it gets bad enough)

Insulin is now over the counter. For the last 3 years FYI.

But it does expire unless frozen.

EM2
11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Saw a news clip of a reporter interviewing one of the unprepared residents hit by Sandy. They were complaining and being real critical that the Red Cross had not even been there to help them. The new reporter interupted the lady and asked her if she had ever donated to the Red Cross. The lady stood there with a stupid look on her face for awhile then said "NO"

Of course she did.
Excellent news reporter.

postal
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Loving this!!!!!!!:D

fifT7
11-09-2012, 3:42 PM
Why not store on concrete?

Maltese Falcon
11-09-2012, 4:12 PM
Do NOT store your water containers on concrete. Place something like a board or some wood to separate contact between the plastic and the concrete.

I knew this intuitively for some reason and made platforms from discarded pallets from work, covered them with screwed on plywood and painted them. The platforms themselves sit on bricks so no direct contact with flat concrete and good drainage / ventilation.

AwakeAware1016
11-10-2012, 3:06 AM
I watched a video of people sitting in thier cars (while running) in line for gas to fill up. And the station was rationing to $20 per person. @$4/g=5 gall

ERdept
11-10-2012, 5:38 AM
take up backpacking and camping. You will most certainly have enough food for a month at least.

Yeah, in LA, a guy named Christoper Nyerges teaches survival classes, including eating local plants, found on hikes, fire/shelter making and improvised weapons.

His website is online.

I've always advocated this for SoCal.. Our emergency will be initiated by a big quaked, which will leave your house intact.

But I feel there will be a loss of power for 1-2 weeks while things get cleaned up.

In the meantime, most people will run out of food and this will cause looting. Due to looting and fires, you cannot the the PD to respond cause they will be overwhelmed, thus you must depend on yourself. The PD is easily overwhelmed, even on a heavy call volume day, like a rainy holiday, the response is slow.

During the King Riots, they just drove by. During that time, I was the manager of Jones Bicycles in Downtown Long Beach. There were two other stores, Los Alamitos and 2nd street.

My store was looted, I remember calling the PD, they drove up but didn't' get out of their cars, the looters ran, they drove away, and the looters came back. Now the store is gone.

So, I suggest a back up generator for the fridge, and keeping several weeks of food and water, and weapons around for the looters. All you need is to keep the frozen and refrig items cool. the rest is canned and dried goods, like rice, beans, etc.

Light and heat are from candles in tins of water (prevent fires), cooking can be on the BBQ. You can ride this out.

Power will soon be restored.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
11-10-2012, 6:09 AM
100 gal of water and 25lbs of oatmeal, not the best but it will keep me full for a week.

socal44
11-10-2012, 6:25 AM

Why?

stitch_paradox
11-10-2012, 9:24 AM

WHY?

furiousyellow
11-10-2012, 9:54 AM
I've always advocated this for SoCal.. Our emergency will be initiated by a big quaked, which will leave your house intact.

But I feel there will be a loss of power for 1-2 weeks while things get cleaned up.

In the meantime, most people will run out of food and this will cause looting. Due to looting and fires, you cannot the the PD to respond cause they will be overwhelmed, thus you must depend on yourself. The PD is easily overwhelmed, even on a heavy call volume day, like a rainy holiday, the response is slow.

So, I suggest a back up generator for the fridge, and keeping several weeks of food and water, and weapons around for the looters. All you need is to keep the frozen and refrig items cool. the rest is canned and dried goods, like rice, beans, etc.

Light and heat are from candles in tins of water (prevent fires), cooking can be on the BBQ. You can ride this out.

Power will soon be restored.

Beans and bullets are great to have, but as an apartment dweller the thing that worries me most is fire. That's something you can't prep for. Even if it's not caused by quake damage, you suddenly have dozens of people using open flames for light and cooking. I can only hope they had enough sense to purchase a fire extinguisher. One of my neighbors didn't and burned down not only their apartment, but the one above and the one connecting and that was with fire department's quick response. Even homeowners in New York ending up homeless by fire.

After fire, my next biggest concern would be sanitation. Unlike people who own homes and can just bury it in the backyard (assuming they have one) what are people living in apartments going to do for waste disposal if they can't flush their toilets?

I feel like I have enough beans and bullets and am now focusing on updating immunizations and being able to self-treat as many injuries and illnesses that don't require immediate hospitalization.

fifT7
11-10-2012, 1:53 PM
Does anyone have a reason not to store on the concrete or is it like the "don't store a battery on the concrete or it will drain the power"

jonnyt16
11-10-2012, 3:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with storing water on concrete. But do not store water in direct sunlight and try to keep it in a room at room temperature or colder.

By the way, you guys should join a cool new forum over at http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/forum.php

Lots of members from California over there and a real nice easy forum to navigate. Lots of great info!

slam128
11-10-2012, 4:30 PM
I would not recommend storing water directly on top of concrete because chemicals from concrete can leach into the plastic water container. Put some form of barrier between to the container and the concrete for safer water storage. Hate to have bad water in times of need.

fifT7
11-10-2012, 4:58 PM
Slam128. What kind of chemicals are going to leach out of the concrete, through your container and then into your water.
Concrete is water, cement, gravel and sand.
I also understand that there are other additives and there are cures, stains and epoxies that may be applied to your finished concrete. But unless you live in Chernobyl your concrete should not be seeping harmful chemicals.
Am I wrong?

canyon289
11-10-2012, 5:08 PM
This is an open ended philosophical question but something that I've had in my head for years.

Wolves are naturally adept at survival in the wild, whereas their domesticated canine counterparts are not.

Do you feel like this is happening to the human race in general? That in the last century we're getting so used to living in our constructed world (on demand water, widely available food, artificial environments) etc, that a portion of our population is extremely ill equipped to rough it out?

CAHighSierra
11-10-2012, 5:13 PM
After fire, my next biggest concern would be sanitation. Unlike people who own homes and can just bury it in the backyard (assuming they have one) what are people living in apartments going to do for waste disposal if they can't flush their toilets?

Look up poo powder. It neutralizes waste. Its not cheap but it can keep things sanitary for a bit.

10rounds
11-10-2012, 5:27 PM
By the way, you guys should join a cool new forum over at http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/forum.php

Lots of members from California over there and a real nice easy forum to navigate. Lots of great info!

Thanks for the link! Another forum to join.

jonnyt16
11-10-2012, 5:56 PM
Wolves are naturally adept at survival in the wild, whereas their domesticated canine counterparts are not.

Do you feel like this is happening to the human race in general? That in the last century we're getting so used to living in our constructed world (on demand water, widely available food, artificial environments) etc, that a portion of our population is extremely ill equipped to rough it out?
There is absolutely no doubt this is happening! Actually, it already has happened. A great book you must read (most of us here have already read it) is One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It illustrates what happens when modern society has to "rough it" and its not pretty.

Technology has definetely softened us. Flipping a switch or pushing a button has replaced even the most basic survival skills. I often wonder sometimes when I see a person with their nose buried in their "smartphone" if they would even know how to start a fire without a lighter or matches.

broknknuckles
11-10-2012, 6:07 PM
They're called Obama voters and they make up about half the nation or more. Think they'll still vote for bigger government after this? Yup. Count on it.

Yeah I'm sure everybody who voted for Romney has got everything under control. Hey Red Cross, Republicans are prepared and don't need or want any help. GTFOH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smle-man
11-10-2012, 6:32 PM
Ah I have heard that but had totally forgot about it. They are made of biodegradable plastics if I remember correctly and that's why.

So I immediatly googled 2L soda bottles to see if they were too. And the answer is 'no'. /whew, I was concerned I might have needed to rethink my cheap-o water storage. :D

I tried milk jugs and they started leaking after about 6 months.

bbguns44
11-10-2012, 6:59 PM
I don't get it. Just hop in the car & drive 100 miles & you'll be out of the damaged area.
Check into a motel & order a pizza. Storms & earthquakes don't destroy all roads.
Insurance covers the looting.

TigerShark
11-11-2012, 1:25 AM
My in-laws are still without power in the middle of Long Island. Luckily their nat gas, water and sewage is not a problem. But they.ve had a cold spell and can't use the heater without the electric blower. He still has to drive to work everyday and then struggle to find gas to get there.
They are lucky though that relatively no damage happened to their house.

cannon
11-11-2012, 7:54 AM
100 gal of water and 25lbs of oatmeal, not the best but it will keep me full for a week.

Do you have a way to cook all that oatmeal?

Like X above I went the simple route. Lots of 8 & 12 packs of canned foods from Costco. Tuna, variety of beans, some veggies and for my sweet tooth. Lots of fruits and fruit cocktails *and meat in the chest freezer

Along with a Coleman stove and BBQ I figure I'll weather the earthquake aftermath well fed.

Other preps are in place for comfort.

*Nothing takes the sting out of a disaster like BBQ. ;)

furiousyellow
11-11-2012, 8:03 AM
Look up poo powder. It neutralizes waste. Its not cheap but it can keep things sanitary for a bit.

Thanks. I already have all that stuff. It's the 100 other people living in my building that probably don't that concern me.

kb58
11-11-2012, 9:57 AM
If you live on the top floor there's nothing to worry about as it's all "downhill" from there...

CessnaDriver
11-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Prep?

Why?

We have a POTUS who will drop by wearing a bomber jacket.

Relax.

Eldraque
11-11-2012, 10:13 AM
remember, preppers are terrorists, 2A supporters are terrorists. I dont want to be a terrorist :(

Steve_In_29
11-11-2012, 8:13 PM
Look up poo powder. It neutralizes waste. Its not cheap but it can keep things sanitary for a bit.Walmart sells the generic equivalent of WagBags that are used for human waste disposal. I have been stocking up on these just in case.

Steve_In_29
11-11-2012, 8:15 PM
remember, preppers are terrorists, 2A supporters are terrorists. I dont want to be a terrorist :(You are more then welcome to join all us former military that are terrorists as well.

CAHighSierra
11-11-2012, 8:15 PM
Walmart sells the generic equivalent of WagBags that are used for human waste disposal. I have been stocking up on these just in case.

You sure they are for both? Ive only seen the piss powder at wallyworld. Whats it called?

Steve_In_29
11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
You sure they are for both? Ive only seen the piss powder at wallyworld. Whats it called?"Toilet Waste Bag" in the camping section.

Riflewizard
11-12-2012, 4:37 AM
I don't get it. Just hop in the car & drive 100 miles & you'll be out of the damaged area.
Check into a motel & order a pizza. Storms & earthquakes don't destroy all roads.

why does no one else consider this an effective plan?

Nor Cal Scot
11-12-2012, 5:42 AM
why does no one else consider this an effective plan?

$200 a day of additional expenses adds up quick...

jonnyt16
11-12-2012, 9:07 AM
My home is my castle and I will not abandon it and leave it at the mercy of looters.

mt4design
11-12-2012, 10:30 AM

It's sometimes difficult to impossible to get out of the L.A. basin on a holiday weekend.

Think about what it would be like with freeways down at the same time aftershocks are going on.

Best thing to do, IMHO, is to figure on sheltering in place for a length of time and work with neighbors on a plan to protect and secure your neighborhood.

Also, I'd like to find out what my neighbors do, if some may be doctors, military, work a trade, etc.

Even 100 miles out of L.A., those areas would be affected because of damage to rails or transportation routes.

Just In Time delivery to markets, pharmacies, even fast foot and restaurants will be affected.

Water disruption could occur which would also hamper restaurants and fast food, along with hotels, etc.

The longer the disruption, the worse it will get.

The unprepared will eventually either die off or begin to seek supplies from other people's homes.

Have some stuff you might just sell in a yard sell available and throw it out in front of your home. Clothes, broken television, etc. Make your house look like it's already looted.

Best to think about this stuff now and do some research while the net is available.

Dooligan
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Just so you know, a CHP officer was shot (may he RIP) at the 680/24 interchange about 10 miles from where I live. Both sides of the freeway were shut down during the investigation.

Everything...I mean EVERYTHING came to a screeching halt. This was ONE freeway. Backroads came to a grinding halt after 1 hour. Infrastructure was still intact, and no one could go anywhere for roughly a 50 mile diameter. One freeway. Food deliveries, gas deliveries, etc...nothing moved.

Just imagine if a couple of overpasses collapse. What then?

sharxbyte
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM

In that case, they need a big steel watertight container chained and bolted/anchored to the ground.

Cheap? no, but neither is having a hurricane shelter.

D.carden
11-12-2012, 1:12 PM
Just so you know, a CHP officer was shot (may he RIP) at the 680/24 interchange about 10 miles from where I live. Both sides of the freeway were shut down during the investigation.

Everything...I mean EVERYTHING came to a screeching halt. This was ONE freeway. Backroads came to a grinding halt after 1 hour. Infrastructure was still intact, and no one could go anywhere for roughly a 50 mile diameter. One freeway. Food deliveries, gas deliveries, etc...nothing moved.

Just imagine if a couple of overpasses collapse. What then?

I sure remember that day..!!!! 680/24 and 242 are a major commute interchange. That entire east bay area was a mess. People running out of gas while stuck on the freeway or on city side streets for three hrs or more....If that was an infrastructure catastrophe and long term, it would have been devastating...... A real testament to 'stay home and ride it out' if you're prepared.......

wjc
11-12-2012, 3:09 PM
You are more then welcome to join all us former military that are terrorists as well.

I prefer the term "Freedom Fighter".

:43:

Cali-Shooter
11-12-2012, 11:33 PM
They haven't learned before Sandy, they won't learn after Sandy. Those people strive to be gov't lapdogs and handout recipient pets. Why be responsible for yourself? Someone else will do it for you! :facepalm::helpsmilie:

Cali-Shooter
11-12-2012, 11:36 PM
remember, preppers are terrorists, 2A supporters are terrorists. I dont want to be a terrorist :(

In the long run, there is one way to avoid being a "terrorist" in America. Leave America. Otherwise, stay and fight back against the bullsmit they sling at us.

Roots78
11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
How is it that people don't even have some top ramen and canned vegies!? At least enough to last for a week or two? I have enough canned and dry foods to last for at least a month in just my regular kitchen pantry not to mention what I am planning to start stockpiling in our BOB and vehicle. I always have at least 150 gal of purified water on hand at any given time too.

ocmsrzr
11-13-2012, 1:23 PM
Have some stuff you might just sell in a yard sell available and throw it out in front of your home. Clothes, broken television, etc. Make your house look like it's already looted.

Clever. That's going in the toolbox.

Lifeon2whls
11-13-2012, 2:10 PM

Having been robbed and being there while my best friends home burned down, you begin to understand what its like to loose everything and feel like someone has completely violated you and your family. It changes your view on things and makes it hard to simply up and leave when you know you have people who are going to tear through. Also, having gone through the Northridge quake, insurance can be a pain in the butt.

I'm not saying I wouldnt leave if I had to, but I'd like to be prepared to stay in my home and protect it rather than escape to some random hotel for who knows how long.

zombiescanlearn
11-13-2012, 8:08 PM

There are 3 major Freeways connecting Orange County, CA with the rest of CA. A 9.0 earthquake takes them out, then OC is effectively cut off from the rest of the U.S. Depending where it hits, we might be dealing with tsunamis, a melt down at the nuclear plant off of the 5 FWY, etc. Look at the roads every night during rush hour, now imagine the roads when fwy's are knocked out and gangs roaming the streets.

zombiescanlearn
11-13-2012, 8:09 PM
How is it that people don't even have some top ramen and canned vegies!? At least enough to last for a week or two? I have enough canned and dry foods to last for at least a month in just my regular kitchen pantry not to mention what I am planning to start stockpiling in our BOB and vehicle. I always have at least 150 gal of purified water on hand at any given time too.

How are you storing all that water?

jonnyt16
11-13-2012, 8:15 PM
Don't know about Roots78, but this is how I do it.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2%84%a2-20---5-Gallon-Water-Storage-With-Filter-Pump-By-Shelf-Reliance-and-Seychelle.product.11757341.html

kaligaran
11-13-2012, 8:44 PM
Don't know about Roots78, but this is how I do it.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2%84%a2-20---5-Gallon-Water-Storage-With-Filter-Pump-By-Shelf-Reliance-and-Seychelle.product.11757341.html

Jonny, I looked at those before online but have never seen them in person. I was a bit skeptical about the bags and boxes holding up. So no problems with these on your end?

jonnyt16
11-13-2012, 9:03 PM
Kaligaran, I had the same questions as you did which is why I ordered only one box to test it out. Only small problem I found is that if you fill the bag completely full of water, it is kind of a pain to put back in the box and it does want to bulge the box out a little.

I found two solutions to this: One, you can reinforce the box around the bottom and edges with duct tape. Or two, just fill the bag to about 4 or 4-1/2 gallons instead of a full five.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this system of water storage and will be ordering the whole package deal from Costco very shortly.

ExAcHog
11-13-2012, 9:56 PM
Kaligaran, I had the same questions as you did which is why I ordered only one box to test it out. Only small problem I found is that if you fill the bag completely full of water, it is kind of a pain to put back in the box and it does want to bulge the box out a little.

I found two solutions to this: One, you can reinforce the box around the bottom and edges with duct tape. Or two, just fill the bag to about 4 or 4-1/2 gallons instead of a full five.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this system of water storage and will be ordering the whole package deal from Costco very shortly.

OR....Sign up with Alhambra water delivery service. We bought the water cooler outright and now only pay for the water. We opted to build up to having 20 5 gallon bottles in stock, It's $5.00 per 5 gal bottle, (cheaper than Costco) lasts just as long. Now as we use them up, they just pick up the emptys and drop off fresh bottles. (Constantly rotating our stock to keep it fresh)!

Roots78
11-14-2012, 4:15 PM

Water storage containers are cheap and easily acquired. I can get 55-275 gal. Water storage containers for $35-$100 on craigslist. Currently I keep emergency stores of reverse osmosis water in 35 & 45 gal. Brute Trash cans (brand new with lids of course). I was using it for my Saltwater Reef fish tank but I am getting rid of my tanks. I will be purchasing a 275 gal. water storage container that seals up tight and will keep the water fresh for much longer. The trash cans work in a pinch though. We just use the water regularly and keep them filled with fresh water. I store them inside the house. Here is a link to a Craigslist add in the I.E. for 275 gal. containers for $100.00 http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/3372419105.html

kaligaran
11-14-2012, 6:12 PM
@ Johnny - thank you.

@ ExAcHog - never considered doing that. Now that's a great idea. I'll ahve to see if anyone will deliver to me (I live up on top of a mountain, doubt a large truck like a water truck would get up my driveway).

capt.t
11-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Guys I'm from NJ and lived thru the storm, there are some items I want to address. But first let me say I'm not going to address the people that blatantly were not ready. This should be some items to consider from what we have learned.

First lots of people lost their houses, and when I say houses I mean everything. The houses that were still standing had feet of water running thru them. So if you happened to store you generator and gas in your garage they are gone. Same issue for food and water, unless it was up on the second story they are useless at this point. This covers most people living at the shore and even a few miles inland. There were areas that had NEVER flooded before that just had storm water rising so fast you just left everything to save your own life.

Next issue is most of the people here were prepared for a few days of living without places being open. The storm started on Sunday night, most people started losing power by Monday morning. The storm didn't pass until Weds morning, so most had already been running of generator for 24 hours at this point. Some places were out of power for 14+ days, most of us had enough gas for our generators to last 2-3 days on hand. If you lived down the shore, you could not get gas for at least a week. The stations either didn't have power, were out, or there tanks had water in them. The gas lines were miles long, and the wait was hours. If you were lucky they would sell you $50's in gas. Thats if you could get out of the area you lived in, many roads were still flooded and trees down everywhere.

Our generator burns 8 gallons a day with a 4 gallon tank. We had the generator full, and had 15 gallons of gas on hand. We also had both vehicles full if we needed it. Most people couldn't limit their generator use for the first 48 hours because we had to run sump pumps. So by the time it was safe to get out we were running low on gas without pulling it from the cars. Most gas stations were still closed at this point, most of the state only had about 25% of the gas stations open. They couldnt' get fuel in and everyone was running generators waiting in line. Just a take away we learned was that 2-3 days isn't enough gas. This had never been an issue before, even after last years hurricane.

As for food and water, most people followed the general guidelines provided to them. Have enough food and water on hand for 5-7 days. Well guess what after 5-7 days the stores still weren't open in the area's that didn't have power. Again this leaves out the group of people that last their houses and everything in them.
I know there is a lot of conversations about living off the land, but when you have little kids this isn't an option. Also the world didn't end, we still needed to clean up after the storm. Most still had to goto work on top of that. The kids were home from school for a week plus, which also burns thru gas and supplies.
I'm not saying this is everything but it's just some food for thought when you are preparing for something. We did have advance notice and generators and water were very hard to find even 3 days before the storm started. Nobody thought we would run into the gas issues like we did.

EM2
11-15-2012, 7:24 PM
capt.t, great insight and food for thought, thanks.

Socalman
11-15-2012, 7:53 PM
............Also, in NYC where rents are sky high, some people literally don't have room in their living space to keep large stockpiles of food lying around. Large fridges and bountiful cabinet space are not part of NYC life (for the 99%) for this reason.

Have you thought about how much room is available UNDER a bed?

You can begin prepping on a small scale even on a very tight budget. Buy a 1 pound bag of beans or rice on the next trip to the market. Buy one extra can of vegetables the next time. Perhaps a can of fruit the next. Another time a can of tuna or chicken. Each trip to the store buy one item for storage prep. Check the expiration dates on cans. I have seen dates on the same product vary by as much as 13 months on the same product on the same shelf.

Using this method after just a few months you have a months worth of food. All these items can be stored under the average bed frame. One can start small and build slowly, the key is to start.

We began with the idea of having 3 days worth of food for when "The Big One" hits Calif. Granted this method does not give you large supplies of freeze dried foods that will store for 15 years but it will take you through a crises like the current mess left by Sandy.

Crom
11-16-2012, 2:59 PM
Guys I'm from NJ and lived thru the storm, there are some items I want to address. But first let me say I'm not going to address the people that blatantly were not ready. This should be some items to consider from what we have learned.
<SNIP>

Best post in this thread by far. One thing seems to stand out to me and that is that floods are an entirely different animal when it comes to disasters. Reminds me of Katrina.