PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic .22

Lexington-1
11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Gents

I know that most .22 rifles off the shelf on average can accurately shoot a 1 inch group up to 50 yards with standard .22 ammo. With subsonic .22 they obviously shoot with a lower velocity. Because of the lower velocity, does this translate into a shorter accurate range? If so, by how much, 5 yards, 10 yards etc.?

I know there can be a lot of variations to consider so I'm not looking specific but a general answer. But to help narrow it down. Let's base this on a Rugger 10/22 Carbine.

If anyone has used .22 subsonic. I'd appreciate if you would share your experience with using them.

The purpose of using .22 subsonic is for rat pest control on a farm.

Thanks

Dakine_surf
11-01-2012, 1:17 PM
I use the aguilla Sniper Sub Sonic 60 gr ammo.

It is quiet, cycles about 80% of the time, and the 60 grain bullet really smacks with authority. It is not cheap however. But if you are using it for pest control, it is one of the best rounds available.

Izzy43
11-01-2012, 1:32 PM
Gents

I know that most .22 rifles off the shelf on average can accurately shoot a 1 inch group up to 50 yards with standard .22 ammo. With subsonic .22 they obviously shoot with a lower velocity. Because of the lower velocity, does this translate into a shorter accurate range? If so, by how much, 5 yards, 10 yards etc.?

I know there can be a lot of variations to consider so I'm not looking specific but a general answer. But to help narrow it down. Let's base this on a Rugger 10/22 Carbine.

If anyone has used .22 subsonic. I'd appreciate if you would share your experience with using them.

The purpose of using .22 subsonic is for rat pest control on a farm.

Thanks

.22 Subsonic begins to really outperform high velocity .22 at ranges beyond about 35-40 yards. At close range it probably doesn't matter which ammo you use. For quieter hard hitting ammo I would suggest Winchester Super-X Subsonic Hollow points. They have a huge hollow point and really put a whoopin on small critters.

pennys dad
11-01-2012, 2:12 PM
Agreed with Izzy. My follow up shots with subsonic are great, hence my accuracy with subsonic is excellent. I shoot subsonic from 25 to 100 yards with come ups and I am happy with the results.

hakenlag
11-01-2012, 7:23 PM
Lexington-1, I bet you're a little confused right about now, right?

High velocity .22 rounds leave the barrel above the speed of sound. As they slow, they obviously drop to sub-sonic. When this happens their sonic boom (shockwave) catches up to them. Since the bullets are small and light, they get tossed around and will lose accuracy. Subsonics don't have a sonic boom chasing them so they don't get smacked in the rear as it goes by. That is why subsonics tend to be more accurate. The purpose of high velocity ammo isn't as much for longer range accuracy as it is to hit small game harder. While the subsonic is fine for rats and smaller rodents, it's not as effective on larger critters. I know from personal experience that subsonics will bounce off an oppossum skull whereas the slightly less accurate but much harder hitting velocitor won't. But as long as you avoid the skull and go for heart/lungs on an opossum, even the CCI Quiets (710 fps according to manufacturer data) will drop 'em.... real quiet like.;)

Lexington-1
11-14-2012, 3:17 AM
Thanks for the info gents.

deadcoyote
11-14-2012, 1:43 PM
It really dependa on the firearm and the round. I like the concept of subsonic just for reduced report, I have an old Remington 521 targetmaster that didn't shoot most I tried well. However, I recently tried the Remington sub-sonic with the lightening bolts on the green box ($4 for 50 at Walmart). It worked great to 50 yards, just as good as target loads or the hyper velocity stuff. i've found my Remington and my Savage both have different loads that they specifically run better than others.

Rangem4
11-14-2012, 1:54 PM
I have some CCI 40 gr. 1070 fps.
1,070 feet per second is 729 miles per hour.
This is pretty hard hitting ammo and it makes a pretty good crack when I shoot it.

The speed of sound is the distance travelled during a unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 C (68 F), the speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). This is 1,236 kilometres per hour (768 mph), or about one kilometer in three seconds or approximately one mile in five seconds.

So based on this data most 22lr. ammo is subsonic right?
I know the temperature and altitude make a difference.

CSACANNONEER
11-14-2012, 2:02 PM
Subsonic 22 ammo will be far more accurate at longer ranges. If you want to shoot at a distances past where supersonic amm becomes subsonic you will get zero precision or accuracy from supersonic ammo but, the subsonic stuff will perform well.

donw
11-17-2012, 9:12 AM
subsonics work really well and are 'quiet' but unless you 'tune' a semi-auto you may have feeding/cycling problems.

i found that to be true on an older Erma Luger i had a while ago

Izzy43
11-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I have some CCI 40 gr. 1070 fps.
1,070 feet per second is 729 miles per hour.
This is pretty hard hitting ammo and it makes a pretty good crack when I shoot it.

The speed of sound is the distance travelled during a unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 C (68 F), the speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). This is 1,236 kilometres per hour (768 mph), or about one kilometer in three seconds or approximately one mile in five seconds.

So based on this data most 22lr. ammo is subsonic right?
I know the temperature and altitude make a difference.

I don't know for sure and wouldn't bet a nickel on it but my best guess is that there is more Bulk .22lr ammo than subsonic. Most Bulk ammo is 1200fps or above. Low priced subsonic target ammo is around $5/50 where bulk ammo is $15-25/550. More folks are likely to spend $.03-.06 per round than $.10-30 per round. So I think high velocity ammo is more plentiful than subsonic.

SB1964
11-17-2012, 3:51 PM
The Winchester Subs I use are MORE Accurate than typical High Velocity I use. I like the Win. Super x 40 Grain Subsonic. Significant noise reduction, good Cycling. The Trick to Subsonic is getting the Grain & Velocity you need matched for your Gun. Subs are even made with Primer only, very low powered. I`ve prolly only shot 150 rounds of the Subs I like, very accurate & no issues. I`m not a Match Guy, nor do I shoot at longer Ranges, say over 100 yrds.

Levetti
11-20-2012, 4:33 PM
CCI Quiets at 710fps won't consistantly cycle my semi-autos, but they are accurate up to 400 yds in my boltgun. They are also very quiet. I always have problems with subsonic ammo and its consistency. Seems like most subsonic can vary +-200 fps;you have rounds that sound really hot, and rounds that you can't even hear.

Dannicus
11-20-2012, 4:40 PM
Subsonic 22 ammo will be far more accurate at longer ranges. If you want to shoot at a distances past where supersonic amm becomes subsonic you will get zero precision or accuracy from supersonic ammo but, the subsonic stuff will perform well.

This isn't always the case, of course. My best shooting .22 rifle generally shoots a little tighter at 100 yards with high quality HV ammo than with most low velocity or standard velocity stuff I've tried.

CSACANNONEER
11-20-2012, 4:55 PM
This isn't always the case, of course. My best shooting .22 rifle generally shoots a little tighter at 100 yards with high quality HV ammo than with most low velocity or standard velocity stuff I've tried.

So, you shoot to distances past where HV ammo goes subsonic and get better precision than shooting subsonic ammo? I'm willing to bet you don't. In fact, I'll bet you that my statement is 100% accurate for ALL ammo out of any firearm. So, what you got to bet? BTW, at 100 yards, your HV ammo is still supersonic so, your experiences don't apply to my statement.:p

korny351
11-21-2012, 12:21 AM
BTW, at 100 yards, your HV ammo is still supersonic so, your experiences don't apply to my statement.

CSA, I respectfully disagree with this statement. Taking data from CCI's website, MiniMags have a MV of 1260 fps. and 1200 fps. for 36 and 40 gr. variants. At 50 yds, they are traveling 1104 and 1092 fps. respectively, already below the speed of sound. At 100 yds they have both fallen off in the neighborhood of 1000 fps. I'm fairly certain that other mfg's HV ammo will perform similarly.

I would still question Dannicus' statement that HV is more accurate than subsonic. I'd have to say, he just hasn't found the subsonic ammo that's the best match for his rifle.

Izzy43
11-21-2012, 7:36 AM
This is directed at no one in particular but when I see statements that say this or that ammo shoots more accurately that some other one I prefer to see some comparative targets for that ammo. The problem with accuracy statements is that the poster doesn't specify what accuracy he/she is referring to.

When accuracy of ammo is given in terms of MOA @ a specific distance then that's some useful information. Just saying its accuracte @ 100yds has little meaning in the real world.