PDA

View Full Version : SHTF food and water, What to get and where?

em9sredbeam
11-01-2012, 7:50 AM
I am not one of those zombie apacolypse survivalist bombshelter types, but the situation in New York and talking about food running low had me thinking that it might be a good thing to have some food and water stored. What is good to have that keeps a long time (mre, or whatever)? What is the best container to buy water in? I am not looking to spend a lot of money or take up a lot of space, but would like to have something just in case. Can you guys point me in a good direction.

teh.killer.of.zombies
11-01-2012, 7:51 AM
I have plenty of canned foods. Also some MRE for my family for 3 months. I filter my water and store in plastic bladders you can buy online.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jrock
11-01-2012, 7:56 AM
saw some good shtf food items in nra catalog. $100 was maybe 60 meals or so..but they come in containers labeled as if its paint inside to detract vandals.

rei has cheap bpa free water jugs.

meanwhile, i think there are several threads on all this.

nickel_1022
11-01-2012, 8:53 AM
Chefs gourmet...30 day food supply in a bucket. Best price on overstock.com.
@$100. Check it out on YouTube, might also wanna get a deck box and store up some water
For like a 30 day supply. Pm me if ya got ?s I don't always look back on these threads.

NotEnufGarage
11-01-2012, 9:07 AM
Canned and dry items (chili, soups, stew, tuna, sardines, veggies, rice, beans) will keep for years.

You can keep bread in the freezer for quite a while.

Canning is a fun hobby. With the right equipment (pressure canner), you can store all kinds of different foods long term (beef, chicken, soups, stews, veggies, etc.). It's also a good way to save on overall food costs for your family by purchasing in quantity, preparing a dish once and serving it numerous times.

DavidR310
11-01-2012, 9:16 AM
"Eat what you store and store what you eat."

Don't mess with food you never ate before. If you have never had at a long weekend on a diet of mre's or super special survival food, why store them for shtf? Some of that stuff in mre's can plug you up or set you free lol. You don't want to have a bad case of the runs during shtf as it could be fatal without access to medical supplies. If you have kids, shtf is the worst time to force kids to eat food they do not like or worse, have them get sick during shtf. In shtf, your going to have enough to worry about with looters, thugs, gangs and keeping your family safe.

You can easily reach a 3 month supply of food with nothing but grocery store bought items. If you have a big family, look at some #10 cans of food. If your solo, smaller cans will do just fine. Here is a list of items that have a very good shelf and will keep you eating normal during shtf:

Rice*- Brown keeps longer than white, but I like white rice.
Beans*- I prefer pinto because I am Mexican lol.
Canned hams- Holiday season is coming up soon and you should find some on sale.
Peanut butter- Great source of fat calories and very filling.
Tang- Orange flavored instant drink that kids love, plus has 100% vitamin C.
Canned soups & stews- Love Progresso & Dinty Moore
Spam!- Love this stuff. If you don't, it taste better pan fried.
Canned tuna- I love tuna, even have a few cans of salmon.
Canned chicken
Canned veggies- get a couple different varieties.
Oatmeal*
Instant cocoa powder- Hot cocoa is a great morale booster, especially for the lil ones.
The snack size pudding & apple sauce- Cheap, no refrigeration required
Dried crackers- Triscuits comes to mind.

*For these items, find a Mormon cannery. You can buy in bulk dirt cheap and with their dry canning, the food should be good for 30 years.

Remember, this is a list I thought of that relates to me off the top of my head and your mileage may vary. I just wanted to point out that it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on food preps. Plus the idea is, all the food above gets rotated out of stock and eaten on a regular basis so you never waste money because nothing goes bad. Also, you already know how to prepare the food and your taste buds and stomach are used to the food.

Now, go past that 3 month mark and then you would be getting into mre's & emergency super dehydrated mylar vacuumed sealed bags.

Notenufgarage is thinking how I think. Canning is the way to go. Imagine warming up a nice jar of your Mom's homemade menudo (soup) during shtf. It makes me happy just thinking about it, lol.

ramathorn
11-01-2012, 9:25 AM
Try Costco. Bottled water (kirkland brand) is pretty cheap. They also have "emergency food" online that's regularly on sale.

DavidR310
11-01-2012, 9:27 AM
As for water, for a quick start, throw like 6 cases of those 24pks of water under a spare bed or empty closet. Grab a black sharpie and mark the expiration date clearly. Pick up a few more on the next grocery trip. Mark those and start to rotate like your food supply.

Don't forget you have water stored in water heaters (not instant type), toilet tanks, the water filler in canned goods, fish tanks (filter first) and hot tubs and swimming pools. (Make friends with your neighbor that has a pool. Treat water first.)

kaligaran
11-01-2012, 9:53 AM
Go to Costco and pick up a 20 pound bag of rice (~$10) and a 20 pound bag of pinto beans (~$20).

If you are talking short term situation, that will get you through a lot.

Canned goods are great.

I stopped drinking canned soda and started buying 2L bottles.
I fill up old 2L bottles of soda with water (after cleaning with hot water and dish soap) and add 6-8 drops of bleach just to be super cautious. Now I have a huge stockpile of water after only a few months and it's easy to carry/move.

DeliveryBoy
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
If you're looking for CHEAP.

Rice and dried beans. Sealed in mylar bags with oxygen eater. Both are Super cheap and last FOREVER (10+YRS). Lots of food for a long time... like all things come with a down side- prep time. Soaking/cooking.

Water- backpacking filter doubles nicely as SHTF water supply... urban area-pool.

Both water filteration & longterm food storage info can be found on the interspace. Google is your friend. Here on calguns. Survival forums. Keyword search- water purification, longterm food storage, "" rice/beans/mylar bags... LOTS of info sources.

My .02... variation. 3 months of mre's. Takes a lot of space and $$$. 6month rice n beans-sucks in consumption. ...but couple weeks worth of mre's plus some longterm rice n bean. Good variation, short and longterm effective, cost efficient. AND food and water are very important... other things are just as important too. Research some SHTF/survival threads for over needs. We aren't apocalyptic preppers... simply prepared for bad things. Its insurance and its simply. It can be fun too. Good luck and enjoy. I can supply some goof links upon request (and when I'm not on my phone [also a spelling disclaimer-phone])

KevinB
11-01-2012, 10:21 AM
What ever happened to having a well stocked pantry. Fill your pantry with the things you eat everyday.

You should have all the staples you need for at least 6 months in your home. Canned goods are great. Meats, veggies and fruits.

Learn how to bake, make bread, can, and dehydrate foods. It is not rocket science.

To get started go to www.providentliving.org and read up about how us Mormons do things. Your religion is your own business but taking care of your family is your duty.

Find a LDS cannery and get started on your pantry. don't survive, flourish.

darkside
11-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Most stores will have sales right after Turky Day. Just stock up on Spam, beans and rice.

arslin
11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
My first steps were as follows:
Water- At vons there are (around $1) are bottles of water that are stack-able. They are thick plastic, and could be reused if needed. The large bottles are good, but they are impossible to move. My plan is to sit tight if something happens, but… I like flexibility.
Food- I got 2x5g food grade buckets at the hardware store, and some gamma lids (~10-15$ total). I then went to costco and got 1 50 lbs bag of white rice($18). That filled up my two buckets about 3/4th the way. So I got a second 25lbs ($10) bag that more than filled it up the rest of the way. I then tossed in some O2 absorbers. Somepeople use mylar bags. My thinking is this: A) They are costly. B) They are unnecessary as the bucket will keep out 99.9 of the O2. C) Any leaks will be absorbed by the massive O2 absorber that I have. D) I really do not plan on keeping this food 20 years.

I have other things (can tuna, soups etc...), that is my sort term SHTF food. The bulk of my food supply is that rice. I may add some beans/lentils and sugar in another few buckets. If something happens, I may never like rice again. I may not even have a balanced meal when the SHTF, but I will have food and water.

My plan is very cheap. Low investment because something might happen… not that it will happen.

kaligaran
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Most stores will have sales right after Turky Day. Just stock up on Spam, beans and rice.

Good point! I hadn't even considered that. Prolly because it's Black Friday/Weekend and going to a store at that time might as well be my idea of what SHTF will look like...
Along with holiday music and decorations. It's right out of my nightmares.

wjc
11-01-2012, 3:39 PM
OP, got to Redwood City Trading Post in Redwood City.

They have most of what you will need for water, food, etc.

I just picked up a couple of 5 gallon water jugs from them...

Bobbar
11-01-2012, 7:49 PM
Go to food for less if you have one. An amazing sale going on right now. Check ur weekly flyers. Store what u eat!

RookieShooter
11-01-2012, 7:55 PM
You also need to stock up Propane tank, charcoal or firewood so you can cook the rice & bean. A generator and some batteries will come by handy too.

IVth Horseman
11-02-2012, 12:25 AM
If you're looking for long term and extremely shelf stable food, scope out the Mountain House #10 cans. Not the cheapest, but in the long run it's a quality investment. They'll last 25+ years and are dehydrated so it's very lightweight. And it tastes great!

johnny1290
11-02-2012, 1:52 AM
MREs aren't great for around the house.

I have a 20# bag of white rice, a few cases of water, a few big quaker oatmeal boxes. I should have beans but I don't.

I store the rice in my freezer for a couple weeks. Supposedly it kills the eggs in there or else you'll get pests you won't like but won't hurt you.

That plus I try and keep the cupboard loaded. Nothing delish but cheap and storeable. Will do fine in a pinch. or a budget crunch! :D

Iskra
11-02-2012, 1:25 PM
Just order water service from a company like you probably have for the cooler at work. We request 15 bottles (that's what fits under our stairs). Once delivered, cancel service. Those 5-gal jugs are polycarbonate, which is very long-lasting & stable. We renew every 4-5 years.

At 1 gal per person/per day, that will last my family about 11 days. Figure 1/2 gal each for drinking, and a quart each for hygiene (in addition to the stockpile of baby wipes) and a quart each for cooking the stocked rice, beans, etc. 11 days is not ideal, but much better than most have, and is enough to know whether we should stay put or get on the move.

danv1369
11-02-2012, 2:42 PM
One very important factor is going to be water. The freeze/air dried food require 2-4 cups of water per meal. MRE's can be eaten cold but they taste much better warm. You can cook them in a pot or pan but will still need water to clean the pot/pan.

Another important consideration is the weight. If your home is unstable after an earthquake and you need to relocate light portable food will be a huge benefit. It would be a real pain trying to move 100 cans of pork and beans :D

As someone mentioned earlier you need to like the stuff you have otherwise it is pointless. If you decide to go with freeze/air dried food go to the local outdoor store and grab a few meals that sound appealing and spend the weekend trying them out. Here is a write up I did early this year. Taste Test Project (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fROUKbQLlQS1uhhU5s-Wh5b0-iwzvb8Nl81IgeZ-tNE/edit)
The Zombie aspect is more for fun...I try to prepare for ANYTHING!

kaligaran
11-02-2012, 3:54 PM
Another important consideration is the weight. If your home is unstable after an earthquake and you need to relocate light portable food will be a huge benefit. It would be a real pain trying to move 100 cans of pork and beans :D

And having food stores at opposite ends of the house is helpful and/or multiple storage points. if an earthquake owns your house, hopefully you can get to at least one of your stashes.

jonnyt16
11-02-2012, 5:59 PM
As far as water, what do you guys think of this storage system?.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2%84%a2-20---5-Gallon-Water-Storage-With-Filter-Pump-By-Shelf-Reliance-and-Seychelle.product.11757341.html

JoeJinKY
11-02-2012, 6:19 PM
Remember that canned vegetables have BOTH food AND water in them, and it is safe to consume for two or three years after purchase. Maybe even longer. You can cook the vegetables and then drink the water after it cools down. yes, it will taste like vegetables, but at least it is water.

For "survival" food, it is different. you start talking about MREs and dehydrated foods, but unless the entire world collapses, it is fair to assume that ordinary canned foods you buy from the grocery store will get you through extended hard times.

Non-potable water can be stored in those 55 gallon blue plastic drums. Use a gallon to flush a toilet when no water source can fill the tank via the plumbing. Remember that a waterbed hold a lot of water. Two or three of them in a house will give you enough water to flush a toilet many times.

Washing hands can be done with the pop up sanitizing wipes, and when THEY dry, you can burn them for heat.

slam128
11-02-2012, 6:46 PM
For starters, you can get 1 Month Supply By Chefs Banquet (http://www.costco.com/330-Total-Servings-of-Emergency-Food-Storage-ARK-1-Month-Supply-By-Chefs-Banquet.product.11649759.html) then you can get a two or three 5 Gallon Water Container (http://www.campmor.com/reliance-rhino-pak-bpa-45-5-5-gallon-water-storage-container.shtml?source=CI&srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=33-99742889-2). Slowly add things here and there and you'll be set.

nrgcruizer
11-03-2012, 2:49 PM
There's a lot of good info here. I don't know all the facts, but after Katrina, people were told to at least stock up for 3 days worth of emergency food & water. Then I heard 1 week. Now we have Sandy.

I had to work my way up the ladder since MREs can be expensive. I first bought 1 case of Ramen, CupO'Noodles, spam, & a case of tuna from Costco. I have bought some other canned goods when I'm out grocery shopping and I see items on sale. Then I bought 1 5 gallon container from a local purified water seller in my area. You can also buy them in Walmart now. I bought 2 more 5 gallon container later to cycle out my old water. These are purely for drinking & cooking.

I went to my local Walmart & found some single burner camping stove & a double burner. I bought 2 Coleman water bladders (I believe they're 3 gallons), some propane tanks, & Mountain Mike's Meals to test my stomach on). I stocked up on batteries and flashlights. Candles as well. Bought another stove from Walmart last week since you can use candles to heat your water or food with it. I bought some first aid emergency kit, mess kit, canteens (3 1 quart, 2 2 quarts water bladder), a web gear, medic bag, water purification tablets from Berkeley's Military Surplus store (I would buy REI. But it's too expensive & military gear will last you a lot longer at a cheaper price. Some items will not match. But hey...I don't think they're holding any beauty pageants right now in New York to see who has the best looking bug out gear.).

I finally bought some MREs (2 cases, 24 meals - 23 now since I tested it on my stomach...lol). It's not much. I can probably stretch it to 1 meal per day. But it would be good to have when you can't light a fire after an earthquake breaks a gas line (I do recall multiple fires when I lived in San Francisco during the Loma-Prieta earthquake), or you just run out of fuel to cook with, or you just want to keep a low profile (Rodney King Riots). Clean drinkable water could be in short supply, depending on the variables, so using the least amount of water to prepare meals and keeping water for hydration is a good idea for me.

There's some people who have a lot more than I do. But I didn't get mine overnight. In fact, I think it's been over a period of 3 years that I started accumulating gear, food, & water. I would use some of my bonus checks on gear & supplies. I think your first priority should be on how to get through the first 3 days when a disaster hits. Good luck with that!!

ElToro
11-03-2012, 3:20 PM
Also check wally world. mine recently had cases of 24 1 liter Aquafina for like 2.99. i loaded up. i gradually work through the water and constantly replenish keeping a minimum on hand. around labor day Home Despot had crazy quantity of BBQ briquets on sale for like half off. can always get a fire started. rarely i se 1 pound propane cans on sale but i always keep buying more. it never goes bad and my stove and lanterns run off them. but Costco is your friend. i buy the cases of canned goods( peas, beans, fruits and spam) and keep plenty in reserve. Assuming the house is not destroyed in a earthquake, i can go a good long while, at least 30+ days without .gov help.

also this time of year, load up on excess candy. you can get single serve chocolates (snickers, 3 musketeers etc) load up and keep for a pick me up or treat for kids. kept in a gallon Zip Lock, it will last at least until next halloween.

wjc
11-03-2012, 5:33 PM
There's a lot of good info here. I don't know all the facts, but after Katrina, people were told to at least stock up for 3 days worth of emergency food & water. Then I heard 1 week. Now we have Sandy.

I had to work my way up the ladder since MREs can be expensive. I first bought 1 case of Ramen, CupO'Noodles, spam, & a case of tuna from Costco. I have bought some other canned goods when I'm out grocery shopping and I see items on sale. Then I bought 1 5 gallon container from a local purified water seller in my area. You can also buy them in Walmart now. I bought 2 more 5 gallon container later to cycle out my old water. These are purely for drinking & cooking.

I went to my local Walmart & found some single burner camping stove & a double burner. I bought 2 Coleman water bladders (I believe they're 3 gallons), some propane tanks, & Mountain Mike's Meals to test my stomach on). I stocked up on batteries and flashlights. Candles as well. Bought another stove from Walmart last week since you can use candles to heat your water or food with it. I bought some first aid emergency kit, mess kit, canteens (3 1 quart, 2 2 quarts water bladder), a web gear, medic bag, water purification tablets from Berkeley's Military Surplus store (I would buy REI. But it's too expensive & military gear will last you a lot longer at a cheaper price. Some items will not match. But hey...I don't think they're holding any beauty pageants right now in New York to see who has the best looking bug out gear.).

I finally bought some MREs (2 cases, 24 meals - 23 now since I tested it on my stomach...lol). It's not much. I can probably stretch it to 1 meal per day. But it would be good to have when you can't light a fire after an earthquake breaks a gas line (I do recall multiple fires when I lived in San Francisco during the Loma-Prieta earthquake), or you just run out of fuel to cook with, or you just want to keep a low profile (Rodney King Riots). Clean drinkable water could be in short supply, depending on the variables, so using the least amount of water to prepare meals and keeping water for hydration is a good idea for me.

There's some people who have a lot more than I do. But I didn't get mine overnight. In fact, I think it's been over a period of 3 years that I started accumulating gear, food, & water. I would use some of my bonus checks on gear & supplies. I think your first priority should be on how to get through the first 3 days when a disaster hits. Good luck with that!!

Be careful with MRE's. They can lock you up...if you know what I mean...if you eat them for long periods of time.

It's a good idea to have an alternative like Weiss buckets or some other food source (rice, beans, etc).

BonnieB
11-03-2012, 7:12 PM
I'm from Boston originally, born and raised in a seaside town. We just grew up with 'pantry habits' there as children, because there are frequent blizzards and hurricanes, where you can't get out of the house for days. Sometimes no power for days, due to ice storms.

Everyone there started stocking up in August or September. 20 lb sacks of potatoes and onions, beans, rice, pasta, canned goods galore, Campbell's soup, mac and cheese, oatmeal, powdered dry milk and condensed milk for the kids and babies, salt pork. Bags of apples, jams, jellies, pickles. Lots of molasses, which is good for sweetening everything and never goes bad. (Think home made baked beans cooked overnight in the coals of a fireplace. Yum!). And "sea crackers" which are double baked biscuits that are are immortal. All these go in the the pantry or the cellar and will keep a long time in a cool dry environment. The apples are the most vulnerable.

We checked our basement pumps too, in fall. I remember my dad filling up all the bathtubs (we didn't have bottled water then) and checking on my mom's bleach supply if a hurricane was predicted. We didn't worry all that much about water, it was usually pouring out of the skies into clean buckets. And he laid in a cord or two of wood in the summer. When I lived there I also laid in propane tanks and a little stove that was safe to run indoors.

Come March or April, everyone starts eating up the remaining food in the pantry and the cycle starts again in September.

This is old-timey New England stuff, that everyone we knew did, as a matter of routine. That's from living in a climate that will kill you half the year. It is not a religious thing, not is it a bunker mentality. It's just New England.

My pantry is building up now, just a matter of habit. My friends think I'm nuts to give up half of a closet in my apartment but I really can't help it at this time of year. I feel naked without stuffed pantry shelves and three gallons of bleach.

I really don't understand people who don't keep enough unrefrigerated food in the house to feed themselves for two weeks. I'm not a survivalist, particularly, and I do feel bad for the Sandy victims. But my parents bought a house on a hill, with no overhanging trees, that had storm shutters, a fireplace, a basement and a pantry.

This isn't so easy in California, where we have more risk of earthquakes and floods, hardly anyone has a basement. But I shelve my canned stuff low in the pantry, dry stuff is high up. And I do keep a bug out bag with some Handi-wipes, Lipton Soup, ramen, 3 dehydrated bean meals, prescriptions, little bottle of bleach and cat food.

nrgcruizer
11-03-2012, 8:07 PM
Be careful with MRE's. They can lock you up...if you know what I mean...if you eat them for long periods of time.

It's a good idea to have an alternative like Weiss buckets or some other food source (rice, beans, etc).

Heh...I'm asian. Got plenty of rice. Beans would be a good idea for protein source though. ;) Haven't tried Weiss Foods yet. But they look good enough to eat & it don't look like I gotta kill it twice to eat it.

I left the US Army in 1993. We didn't have heaters for MREs then. So I thought I'd try these out. No different from back then, except the food is warm. I ate mines cold.

xDIEGOx
11-03-2012, 8:53 PM
As far as water, what do you guys think of this storage system?.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2%84%a2-20---5-Gallon-Water-Storage-With-Filter-Pump-By-Shelf-Reliance-and-Seychelle.product.11757341.html

That looks interesting. Anybody care to shed some light on this?

Avarice
11-03-2012, 9:22 PM
I love 275 gallon IBC totes for storing water. Better price than the blue barrels, they are food grade, easier to empty and refill, and they use a smaller footprint than 55 gallon barrels, gallon for gallon. They can also be stacked.

Squid
11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
MRE's aren't good for "survival". They block you up something wicked. I tried about one whole MRE and I was noticeably blocked up. More blocked up than I can ever remember, and that was with an MRE 'cut' with other food and lots of beer.

I guess an MRE is what they feed guys who are going to be sitting inside a NBC protected tank for 3 days and can't take a dump.

Just get "into" decent semi-health cereal bars, and some dried fruit in good seal plastic. Beef Jerky, Slim Jims. I like to think in terms of weeks food crammed into jacket and cargo pants.

I preach storing water in any 1 or 1/2 gal plastic container with good screw tops. Just stash in odd corners around home, like 2 liter soda on side under the bed.

I think the 2liter soda is about perfect, since it is stressed for carbonation, and carries better in backpacks that 1 gal milk jugs. They fit good under most car seats. I stuff two in large paper grocery bag to prevent rolling.

Plus, 1 gal is too big to be handing out to people, because they will pass it around and spread germs or waste it.

kaligaran
11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Heh...I'm asian. Got plenty of rice. Beans would be a good idea for protein source though. ;) Haven't tried Weiss Foods yet. But they look good enough to eat & it don't look like I gotta kill it twice to eat it.

I left the US Army in 1993. We didn't have heaters for MREs then. So I thought I'd try these out. No different from back then, except the food is warm. I ate mines cold.

Wise actually has some tasty foods (for dehydrated in a bag stuff anyway).

I'm also assuming Weiss is Wise foods.

I picked up a bucket for $100 and the sticker said it was made this year.
Tried a couple and they aren't bad at all. I'm sure they will taste like Olive Garden if S ever HTF. :D

nyc71
11-03-2012, 11:54 PM
I second Wise Foods, when I went to the Shot Show their rep was serving samples. I'm a picky eater considering they're not homemade food it tasted pretty good.

stitch_paradox
11-04-2012, 9:23 AM
First I would advise you to invest in good water filtration and purifier systems, Berkeley and First need is what I have in mind. Berkely unfortunately illegal here in Commie Cali, but it works great as a home system. The First Need XL is my portable/backup unit. Also try to stock up with some of those 5 gallon water container, and if you live in a house get those 55 gallon drums.

As for food, stock up with those healthy choice canned foods. It has less sodium which is better for long term consumption. I do not advocate canned food, instant food, or MREs for everyday eating because it is just plain unhealthy, even the military are not supposed to eat MRE's for more than 30 days. However when disaster strikes you have to do what you have to do. But having a homegrown staple of fruits and vegetables aren't bad either, that's why I suggest you keep a small garden.

Stock up on rice and beans as well, good source of carbs. And I personally stock up on protein mix powders, they are great for on the go quick fixes.

tacksman
11-04-2012, 1:25 PM
check these out.

http://www.htiwater.com/divisions/humanitarian/index.html

wjc
11-05-2012, 3:30 PM
Wise actually has some tasty foods (for dehydrated in a bag stuff anyway).

I'm also assuming Weiss is Wise foods.

I picked up a bucket for $100 and the sticker said it was made this year.
Tried a couple and they aren't bad at all. I'm sure they will taste like Olive Garden if S ever HTF. :D

yeah, it's Wise Foods. I always spell it like it's German for some reason.

Too many years of German class I guess. :D

97F1504RAD
11-05-2012, 4:16 PM
I have several sources. I have cases of bottled water, datrex emergency water packages and I also have a waterbob.

http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Water-Storage/dp/B001AXLUX2

http://www.amazon.com/Datrex-Emergency-Water-Packet-12packets/dp/B001CS53E2

rockin44s
11-05-2012, 4:21 PM
also on the water front, they have individual charcoal straws at your local military surplus store or "REI" equivalent. 12 dollars for i think like 26 gallons? and with that all you have to do is have the straw and filter that easily fit in your pocket.

Jel
11-05-2012, 4:46 PM

Depending on where you live and what type of home you have (apartment, townhome, detached, etc.) it could work for someone with limited storage capabilities.

For those where space is not an issue, like a garage or storage shed in the backyard it would probably be most cost effective to go with the 55 gal drums. I would think that they would hold up better in an earthquake as well, with the drawback of them being very heavy after being filled.

There is the added benefit of portability and the ability to stack your supply in various locations throughout your home. I believe I remember seeing a similar product where you could actually convert them into toilets if needed. The inline filter is nice, but no info on it.

Everyone's needs are different so this could work for some.

jyo
12-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, MREs are hard to digest---just what you need in a sewage/fan situation. My plan is to bug-in as much as possible---canned foods last almost forever and often don't require additional water---just heat and eat, or just eat if no fire available. Bottled water makes a good short-term solution---have plenty and rotate.

sharxbyte
12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm sure its not the best, but I use old juice/milk jugs. The water may not be perfect or the most pure, or best tasting after a lot of time in plastic, but i'll be better off than the guy without water.

ElvenSoul
12-13-2012, 8:49 AM
Water get a Sawyer Squeeze, purification tablets, and keep a few bottles around.

njineermike
12-13-2012, 8:55 AM
+1 on all the "go to costco" and "store what you eat" comments. We buy water, rice, canned soup and veggies, paper products, and hygiene supplies in bulk and rotate stock. Anybody NOT planning for some type of short term independence due to natural occurrences that lives anywhere on the planet isn't using their head. I remember distinctly the runs on grocery stores during the riots and after earthquakes, and when I was in the Midwest, ice storms would routinely kill power for a few days. Blizzards shut down interstates so trucks can't get through every winter all over the country. Always have food and water that you don't need heat to prepare, or have propane stored.

gemoose23
12-13-2012, 9:38 AM
I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water. Just buy the emergency kit for 30 bucks and supply your own buckets. :)

http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/ftkhq.ftcwc/v/vspfiles/photos/categories/43.jpg

I'm sure its not the best, but I use old juice/milk jugs. The water may not be perfect or the most pure, or best tasting after a lot of time in plastic, but i'll be better off than the guy without water.

Think about switching to 2 liter pop bottles for your water storage. Those milk jugs degrade over time and empty pop bottles are easy to come by.

njineermike
12-13-2012, 9:40 AM
I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/ftkhq.ftcwc/v/vspfiles/photos/categories/43.jpg

I'm getting one of those!!

MotoriousRacing
12-13-2012, 9:44 AM
If you're looking for long term and extremely shelf stable food, scope out the Mountain House #10 cans. Not the cheapest, but in the long run it's a quality investment. They'll last 25+ years and are dehydrated so it's very lightweight. And it tastes great!

Augason Farms does the same dehydrated food that last 25+ years. This food will be good when I retire, so a decent investment.

MotoriousRacing
12-13-2012, 9:49 AM
I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water. Just buy the emergency kit for 30 bucks and supply your own buckets. :)

Think about switching to 2 liter pop bottles for your water storage. Those milk jugs degrade over time and empty pop bottles are easy to come by.

Activated carbon won't filter out bacteria and viruses. Think about some of these Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets (http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023FDQ2O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&smid=ASVP5ZC56BDXR) or household bleach. I don't have the formula off-hand, but something like 10 drops per gallon, stir and let sit for 4 hours is about right.

njineermike
12-13-2012, 9:49 AM
Saw this while I was researching DIY freeze drying:

http://www.overstock.com/Emergency-Preparedness/Lindon-Farms-300-Serving-Freeze-Dried-Fruits/6443021/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

gemoose23
12-13-2012, 9:57 AM
Activated carbon won't filter out bacteria and viruses. Think about some of these Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets (http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023FDQ2O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&smid=ASVP5ZC56BDXR) or household bleach. I don't have the formula off-hand, but something like 10 drops per gallon, stir and let sit for 4 hours is about right.

From the seller of the carbon filter.

http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/bleach.png (http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/category_s/42.htm)

How do these filters work?
The basic filter consists of two separate elements.
First the outer ceramic shell filters out bacteria. It does this because the pores in the ceramic that let the water pass through are too small for any bacteria to get through. The filter pores are around 0.2 microns and bacteria range from 0.5 microns to 10 microns. (see http://www.umsl.edu/~microbes/pdf/introductiontobacteria.pdf for basic info on bacteria.) The lab reports below show that for particularly dangerous bacteria these filters are practically 100% effective.
The second element is the activated charcoal which is inside. This filters out many chemicals through a process called adsorption. (See more about activated charcoal below).
A third filter element, the pre-filter sock, can be added and is mainly for applications where the water has a lot of larger particulates in it such as ponds and streams. In comparison to this double or triple filtering, most store bought water filtration systems just use activated charcoal and are designed specifically for use with tap water as the source.
Additionally the ceramic shell is impregnated with silver to prevent bacterial growth inside the filter.

Note: These filters do not remove viruses as they are much smaller than bacteria. Also the filters do not work with salt water.

MotoriousRacing
12-14-2012, 1:32 PM
The other thing activated carbon does not protect against is heavy metals, like hexavalent chromium, which is naturally occuring in groundwater, and very hazardous to your health (although chronic[slow death] and not acute[immediate death]). That is why Brita filters are good because they add ion exchange resins (reduces metals) to their activated carbon.

Still need to filter and/or kill the bacteria and viruses. I've stocked up on SteriPens (and coffee filters), because UV is good against chemicals, viruses, bacteria, cysts,E. coli, etc., but not so good on metals (hope you don't have them; even so they are chronic, not acute) and completely ineffective on solids (but coffee filters are).

Linh
12-14-2012, 6:13 PM
I live in a condo so I have some water bricks, I use water preserver with them which is suppose to keep the water good for 5 yrs. I also have a Katadyn and aquapail as water filters.

For water:
5 gallon LCI water container (same one that the mil use)
3.5 gallon water brick
Or 55 or 125 gallon container if you live in a house.

For food I have mre/ can food and some rice cans from the Mormon website, I also have jasmine rice in mylar bags. I'm currently attempting to grow a garden.

Also a big deal during sandy was fuel.

BHLiu11
12-14-2012, 6:45 PM
Here is another place. I bought seveal 55 gallon water barrels and picked them up at a location near me for $ 55 each.

http://www.disasterstuff.com/

Personally, I have 3 full tank of propane, propane heater, stove, sterno, dry fuel tabs, lots of can food (buy an extra or two of each items I usually buy, every grocery trip), Zero Water filter from Costco, a few 5 gallon buckets for water filteration systems(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYG_TLoI9O4), several water preserver, plenty of rice, food that my kids like, a few ready to go ammo boxes that contain 9,40,45,357,.223,30.06), a few BOBs with clothes, first aide, water, food, knives, guns. In case if we bug in, have several door guards (http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/amerimark/esearch.html?keywords=027382&media=2GOOG22A&days=XVQ&cm_mmc=PaidSearch-_-GooglePLA-_-199ship-_-02738200000&gclid=CPbV9ca_m7QCFYl7Qgodd30ANA), blankets, and much much more...

BHLiu11
12-14-2012, 6:49 PM
OOh .. and forgot .. Have a plan A, B, and C of where your going to meet as family (we all work) and a few places that you scout out if SHTF and need supplies. This should be your second place to visit once you gather your family together. Does not matter how much items you have, you will need more if SHTF

jonnyt16
12-14-2012, 8:00 PM
I live in a condo so I have some water bricks, I use water preserver with them which is suppose to keep the water good for 5 yrs. I also have a Katadyn and aquapail as water filters.
Can you tell me the name of that water preserver stuff and where you got it? Thanks.

bombadillo
12-14-2012, 8:17 PM

I have one of these: http://www.costco.com/Shelf-Reliance%C2%AE-Deluxe-BPA-Free-55-gallon-Barrel-Water-Storage-System.product.11766218.html

and its a really well constructed barrel. I bet it could get knocked completely over and still hold up. For the money, I would buy one of those and get a good filter with replacement cartridges. I have an MSR Miniworks EX and it is a great setup.

MigNoche
12-14-2012, 9:00 PM
Thanks for passing this info on! :taz:

TMcGuff
12-15-2012, 9:54 AM
My vote is for MRE's all the way

bombadillo
12-15-2012, 9:59 AM
If it weren't so awkward and heavy, I'd agree with you. I have a few cases of MRE's and they are great, but I use them in rotation for camping, and other things when camping out of a car (if that counts as camping). I rotate my beans and rice although we never get to use them all. I'd rather have food and water that won't make me blow *** or plug me up. I also like the philosophy of using what you're going to eat, but even in rotation, it won't last longer than about 3-4 years without going pretty bad.

njineermike
12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I've begun researching home freeze drying. It actually seems fairly simple with just some quart mason jars, a vacuum pump with canning jar attachment, and some loose silica dessicant.

xgi1991
12-15-2012, 10:41 AM

actually, the filter pictured will do that, the outer shell is filter media as well here is were to get it with specs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HUYGNS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

edit: bacteria anyway, not viruses

edit#2: and here is the manufacture web site http://www.justwater.me/index.html

Norcalkid
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I don’t really consider myself a prepper but do like to be prepared.

Here is what I did/do. Set small goals and small $. I try not to spend more than $50 a month. First month I decided to put together a BOB. Next month 3 months rice and beans. That was super cheap. 50lb bags from cash and carry, free buckets from Safeway bakery and ebay for mylar bags and O2 absorbers. Then fuel, I got a 5gal gas can and keep it in my trunk. Good to have in car and can run my Colman dual fuel camp stove. Also kinda started getting more “good stuff to eat”. A few Bear Creek soup packets and some canned soup. So now I have 3 months food with 1 month good comfortable food. Next month I will get some more comfort food and a wind up radio/lamp. The comfort food is the store what I eat stuff supplemented with the beans and rice.

As for H2O. I like Arizona ice tea. I get a gallon whenever I go shopping. I just rinse them out and fill with water when empty. I also have a polar pure and a creek not far from my place. I would like to add a few pool shock packets to this in the future(cheap).

So I figure a couple months and I will have 3 months good food, water, light/radio, stove fuel(pressure cooker to conserve fuel). I am doing this monthly with baby steps and figure it will all cost me less than $300. So my thought is if something happened I would be fine for a while or more likely I and a friend or 2 would be fine for a month or 2.

MRE’s and all that stuff are expensive. I also live in an apartment so space is an issue.

In a hurricane/earth quake type event I am covered. No this isn’t a super long term survivalist plan and I guess that’s why I don’t consider myself a prepper. More of a concerned responsible citizen.

xgi1991
12-15-2012, 1:48 PM
I donít really consider myself a prepper but do like to be prepared.

Here is what I did/do. Set small goals and small $. I try not to spend more than $50 a month. First month I decided to put together a BOB. Next month 3 months rice and beans. That was super cheap. 50lb bags from cash and carry, free buckets from Safeway bakery and ebay for mylar bags and O2 absorbers. Then fuel, I got a 5gal gas can and keep it in my trunk. Good to have in car and can run my Colman dual fuel camp stove. Also kinda started getting more ďgood stuff to eatĒ. A few Bear Creek soup packets and some canned soup. So now I have 3 months food with 1 month good comfortable food. Next month I will get some more comfort food and a wind up radio/lamp. The comfort food is the store what I eat stuff supplemented with the beans and rice.

As for H2O. I like Arizona ice tea. I get a gallon whenever I go shopping. I just rinse them out and fill with water when empty. I also have a polar pure and a creek not far from my place. I would like to add a few pool shock packets to this in the future(cheap).

So I figure a couple months and I will have 3 months good food, water, light/radio, stove fuel(pressure cooker to conserve fuel). I am doing this monthly with baby steps and figure it will all cost me less than $300. So my thought is if something happened I would be fine for a while or more likely I and a friend or 2 would be fine for a month or 2.

MREís and all that stuff are expensive. I also live in an apartment so space is an issue.

In a hurricane/earth quake type event I am covered. No this isnít a super long term survivalist plan and I guess thatís why I donít consider myself a prepper. More of a concerned responsible citizen.

That is truly what it is really about anyways, it is about just taking responsiblity for yourself and your family. Good for you. Something is better than nothing and 3 months is a good number to shoot for.

njineermike
12-15-2012, 4:58 PM
That is truly what it is really about anyways, it is about just taking responsiblity for yourself and your family. Good for you. Something is better than nothing and 3 months is a good number to shoot for.

Anybody with any sense at all, watching what happened after Katrina, watching what's happening now after Sandy, and expecting anything different after the big quakes we expect any day now in SoCal is naive at best. Sandy happened a month ago, and there are still people living like refugees. 3-4 moths of food/water will likely ride out the worst of a major weather catastrophe as long as you don't lose the ability to access it.

BHLiu11
12-15-2012, 5:30 PM
Anybody with any sense at all, watching what happened after Katrina, watching what's happening now after Sandy, and expecting anything different after the big quakes we expect any day now in SoCal is naive at best. Sandy happened a month ago, and there are still people living like refugees. 3-4 moths of food/water will likely ride out the worst of a major weather catastrophe as long as you don't lose the ability to access it.

Amen .. Which is the reason why you want some of your supplies at different places .. For examples: my water barrels, and BOBs are at several places on the property (garage, side of the building, 3 different places by the fense away from the buildings). I also have supplies at my sisters' backyards (for them and for me).

johnny1290
12-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Personally I buy more than I need at the grocery and pretty quick have an extra week or two of food. I bought a 10# sack of rice, put it in the freezer a few weeks to kill critters ( supposedly), couple cases of water in my trunk, and Honey, a jar of peanut butter and one of oatmeal for my go bag. kinda looking forward to that actually! supposedly roman soldiers drank olive oil. dunno if that's true but it has a lot of calories in a small cheap bottle

I tried MREs. they're gross and bulky but nice for variety and a hot meal is a huge +++ I'll buy a case some day.

edit- all I expect the gubmint to do is disarm me and throw me to the mob. funny, the folks in NY that went to the evac camps said they were like prisons. you don't say.

krnrspd
12-15-2012, 7:46 PM
You definitely need to have a mix if stuff.

MREs are great for short term but if you aren't use to them yeah you could definitely not feel right for days. Remember you might have gone through boot, but the m r s and the kiddies probably haven't. They are calorie dense and no preparation required. I cant use the heating element for squat so I just eat it cold its fine.

Also can foods are great but then you need the can opener lol

Jars of peanut butter are awesome as they can be opened with out tools last forever and when you are done you have nice reusable container.

I have immediate water but I don't stock immense supplies of water as it is heavy and takes up space for food. for the long term definitely one definitely needs to be creative about harvesting water and purify it.

Oh here's a tip dads if you haven't already been through bootcamp or are a nature freak and or not a Eagle Scout I would suggest sending your kids to the Boy Scouts invest in them and make them learn survival.

Hunting, first aid and engineering are probably the most essential skills a person can have when shtf

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tmphoto
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice Thread.

If you live in a house (vs an apartment) I would try the large 55-60 gallon food grade barrels, but I wouldn't pay the outrageous Costco price. Just search for them on Craigslist. I am in Northern CA and can get them for about $20 each. They usually were used once for stuff like soy sauce or balsamic vinegar, or some other liquid and just need to be cleaned out. A power washer does a good job at this, then rinse with a stiff bleach solution, then rinse with water, then let it dry. Once clean, you can fill them with tap water and then a little (like 2 tablespoons/55 gallon drum) of bleach and your water should be good for around 6 months if kept out of the sun. Just drain them and repeat the fill process every so often to make sure the water is fresh. I have 4 right now, and getting 4 more in the next month or so.

Oh, and don't let them sit on concrete. I have heard there is some leaching of the stuff in the concrete into any plastic that is not good. I have mine in a rack made of 2x4s.

chayden
12-27-2012, 1:06 PM
Dont forget all that water sitting in your water heater.
Thats a go to source for us urban folks who may not have space for large quantities of water.

97F1504RAD
12-27-2012, 1:44 PM
Dont forget all that water sitting in your water heater.
Thats a go to source for us urban folks who may not have space for large quantities of water.

Get yourself some waterbob's for your bathtubs and increase your capacity.

njineermike
12-27-2012, 1:46 PM
If you own a house, piping the water through a series of large containers keeps the water constantly refreshed. Just put a backflow preventer and shutoff on it and you're golden.

ElvenSoul
12-29-2012, 4:03 PM
The internet is full of plans to set up a aquafarm in your house or backyard. Fish, vegies, and water.

ervaztec
12-29-2012, 4:18 PM
Right now at Costco there is a coupon for $3.00 off a $10.00 case of healthy choice soup. 10 cans per case. Limit 4 cases.

dirty_530
01-05-2013, 9:15 PM
QB's are really great for storing water and they stack really well too. it really depends on how much room you have to store your food. Like a lot of people have already said I tend to favor rice because its cheap and keeps for a long time.