PDA

View Full Version : New member all the way from Australia

Silver JK
10-31-2012, 8:40 PM
Hi everyone. I've been the occasional guest on your forum over the past few years and I've finally decided to join and introduce myself. As the title implies I'm from Australia, on the east cost from Sydney, the capital of New South Wales. I'm 29. I've been a cop for the past 7 years working most of my time in general duties (I guess it's your equivalent of patrol officer?), with a few years in plain clothes (kinda like detective work) and intelligence. I have been into guns and shooting since I was about 12. I carry a Glock 22 at work (standard issue across the board for NSW police) and I own a G17, G23, 9mm 1911 STI Spartan, Walther P22, and a few bolt action and lever action rifles and shotguns. No semi auto rifle/shotgun goodness is allowed in Australia except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances...

So I'm here to admire your glorious way of life and freedom you have with regard to firearm choices (I believe there are other states with even more freedom than CA, correct me if I'm wrong, but compared to anywhere in Australia you guys are in heaven), and maybe make a few friends along the way that I can have a beer with in the future when my wife and I finally get our butts over to that great country of yours.

P.S. If you don't want to end up with draconian firearms laws like we have here, FIGHT FOR YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT.

Regards,

Silver JK

jonc
10-31-2012, 8:42 PM
welcome enjoy!!!!!!

Eat Dirt
10-31-2012, 8:43 PM
Welcome Aboard ......Mate

wilit
10-31-2012, 8:44 PM
Welcome!

Thanks for putting our situation into perspective. I had a friend who moved here from the UK back in the 90's after the government took his pistols. He had quite the collection once he got settled here.

Rider1k
10-31-2012, 8:50 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

bsg
10-31-2012, 9:09 PM
welcome to the forum.

CS25
10-31-2012, 9:23 PM
Welcome. Its joke time! So I deal in old muscle cars and speed parts; and Aussies love them. An Australian guy comes and asks me how much something was at a car swap meet I was selling at. I said your accent sounds like your a kiwi. He laughed and said my accent sounded Canadian. We both shared a laugh. Enjoy semi auto rifles!

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
10-31-2012, 9:23 PM
Welcome to calguns

chknlyps2
10-31-2012, 9:33 PM
Welcome, you always hear talk about how are laws are so strict in California but when you hear about other countries I guess it is not so bad.

zod
10-31-2012, 9:39 PM
Welcome aboard. Hopefully, one day the right to own semi auto rifles & shotguns will be restored to your country. Good to have you here mate.

sealocan
10-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Welcome Silver

den888
10-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Welcome!

shortyforty
10-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Welcome Silver, thank you for the kind words about the United States. As we speak there are politicians making plans to dismantle our rights to firearms and self defense. (especially here in California) We as citizens of the U.S. must remain ever vigilant. There is a mental disorder that has spread throughout our great nation in recent times. This disorder/condition effects rational thinking and is associated with thoughts of gun confiscation and trampling the rights of law abiding people. Those who suffer this disorder also have tendencies to think that they are entitled to monies that hard working people have earned. They often present with this entitlement condition in other areas as well. If you ever visit the United States of America please be on the look out for people that may be suffering with this disorder. Sometimes people who suffer from this mental condition may say things like "pay your fair share" or "we have to pass this bill (law) to see what's in it".

fighterpilot562
11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Welcome

cebuvfr
11-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Welcome aboard Mate!

1000stars
11-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Welcome

chozenfew805
11-01-2012, 5:54 AM
Welcome Aboard!:hurray:

DeanW66
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Welcome aboard!

So I'm here to admire your glorious way of life and freedom you have with regard to firearm choices (I believe there are other states with even more freedom than CA, correct me if I'm wrong, but compared to anywhere in Australia you guys are in heaven),

Wow, that's a scary thought. We definitely have a crew working on fighting to keep our rights.

BlackTydeTactical
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Welcome aboard!

Timbob55
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome from the Whine and Cheese area of NORCAL: Sonoma County.

.22guy
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

onegtalon
11-01-2012, 2:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

NikePenguin
11-01-2012, 3:49 PM
Hi and welcome!

chrisf
11-01-2012, 4:31 PM
I come from a land down unda!!!! Welcome aboard.

socalpistolero
11-01-2012, 5:18 PM
welcome.

Eat Dirt
11-01-2012, 6:12 PM
I come from a land down unda!!!! Welcome aboard.

You must be Burning the Midnight Oil

( The Devil indside made me do it )

xXx Sir Sik xXx
11-01-2012, 6:19 PM
Welcome

Paper Boy
11-02-2012, 9:09 AM
Welcome

h0use
11-02-2012, 3:57 PM
Welcome

Silver JK
11-02-2012, 5:36 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. Makes me feel at home. Looks like there are some real characters here, based on the witty use of a few puns along the way. Funny story about that land down under song for those who may not know (and who care). The band, Men at work, got sued over copyright breaches twenty something years after the songs release thanks to a game show called spicks and specs. The flute part in it apparently sounds too similar to a schoolyard song Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, the rights to which are owned by a US company funny enough. The court case killed one of the band members in the end. Sad stuff.

As for Midnight oil. The lead singer went into politics and joined the Greens party. I don't know if you have them there but their sole duty I life is the oppose everything normal people are for. They hate guns and cars and electricity, and despite their name, don't even like letting people camp in our state forests and national parks.

Shortyforty, I know of the kind of people who you speak of. The Greens are associated with this mentality as is our prime minister. Who i must give credit to for doing an exceptional job at destroying our country. By the way, have you ever noticed the size of that woman's ears! They're huge!

We recently had a bill passed here called the ammo control bill. It's in response to a heap of drive by shootings in some parts of Sydney where there is a large concentration of Middle Eastern folk. Now as it stood, you always had to have a licence for the class of which ammo you were trying to buy, for example, you couldn't go into a gun shop and buy 357sig if you only had a licence for rim fire rifles and if you only had a pistol licence, you couldn't buy shotgun or rifle ammo. The new bill, which was subsequently passed but hasn't yet been enacted, mostly because it's impossible and impractical to enforce, means that whenever you want to buy ammo now, despite the class of licence you hold, you can't buy ammo for a gun that you don't personally own! So you can borrow a gun off a buddy to go hunting, which is legal. You can possess ammunition for it by virtue of your licence, but it's illegal for a gun shop to sell you ammo for that gun because it's not registered to you, yet your mate can buy the ammo and pass it straight to you after he pays for it. Now is that outrageous or what!

And there's more just as ridiculous laws to do with firearms here. If you care to hear them ill fill you in on those too, such as calibre restrictions and so on...

Silver JK
11-02-2012, 5:40 PM
Oh, and the drive by shootings above mentioned were/are being committed with illegal, imported, unregistered firearms by unlicensed people. So the bill doesn't even target those committing the offences... A fact acknowledged by the politicians when the bill was raised, yet it was passed anyway. Work that one out!

mp40
11-02-2012, 5:40 PM
Welcome, I used to live in Cremorne, north of Sydney for 5 years. Beautiful city.

Silver JK
11-02-2012, 5:47 PM
Whoops. Auto correct changed bill to Jill for some unknown reason.

Cremorne is a beautiful area. Out of my price range though! I'd live there too if I had the choice. I'm at Mascot, just near the airport and I back onto The Lakes golf course. They hold at least one massive tournament there every year that attracts the likes of Tiger et. al., not that I follow golf or anything.

chknlyps2
11-02-2012, 6:30 PM
Oh, and either regarding to the drive by shootings in mentioned. They were being committed with illegal, imported, unregistered firearms buy unlicensed people. So the bill doesn't even target those committing the offences... A fact acknowledged by the politicians when the bill was raised, yet it was passed anyway. Work that one out!

Thats how most of Californias gun laws are, they only hinder law abiding people. Criminals don't care if they are breaking another law.

mp40
11-02-2012, 7:38 PM
Whoops. Auto correct changed bill to Jill for some unknown reason.

Cremorne is a beautiful area. Out of my price range though! I'd live there too if I had the choice. I'm at Mascot, just near the airport and I back onto The Lakes golf course. They hold at least one massive tournament there every year that attracts the likes of Tiger et. al., not that I follow golf or anything.

I definitely will come to visit Sydney again in the near future since my family has never been there.

NastyNate
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM
G'day mate! I visited Sydney and Melbourne back in 05 and had a buddy that never made it back from liberty call. He's now married to the same Aussie who he left for, 3 kids and is the head of one of her father's divisions. Only downside is, he can never come back stateside or he'll be tried as a deserter.