07-19-2007, 4:05 PM
thinking of purchasing a 6.8 spc 16" upper on a Stag lower
I already have troy flip up BUIS system and don't want to get
an upper that has an A2 front sight... preferablly
A3 flattop style... want it to be close to 30" as possible
and going to use a monsterman grip.. Don't want
a flash hider or compensator (probably would use a thread cap
if threaded) and a magpul prs stock...

I don't want to spend over $800 and don't want a gas piston.
I dont want to buy the model5 stag 6.8...

any other models that might fit this description?

capitol
07-19-2007, 6:17 PM
Do yourself a favor and build a 6.5 Grendel instead

C.G.
07-19-2007, 6:28 PM
Do yourself a favor and build a 6.5 Grendel instead

Eventhough I am a Grendel fan, I have shot Technical Ted's 6.8 SPC and liked it. Personally, I wanted to go with longer range capability with the possibility of occasional hunting. If that is not what he wants then there is nothing wrong with 6.8 SPC and you can find them cheaper than the Grendel.

turinreza
07-19-2007, 6:30 PM
Already have the stag lower.. doesnt support 6.5 grendel

already have long range capacity.. want 6.8 spc for cqb to 300 yds

jdberger
07-19-2007, 6:33 PM
Eventhough I am a Grendel fan, I have shot Technical Ted's 6.8 SPC and liked it. Personally, I wanted to go with longer range capability with the possibility of occasional hunting. If that is not what he wants then there is nothing wrong with 6.8 SPC and you can find them cheaper than the Grendel.

Umm...isn't this one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

"And CG came riding on a black horse and had a 6.8SPC in his hand and from his mouth came DOOM."

hoffmang
07-19-2007, 6:38 PM
A couple of questions. Why go featureless since you're limited to 10 rounds anyway? Want to hunt without using the bullet button?

I was thinking doing this as well and using the 6.8SPC to hunt wild pig. Is there a really strong reason to not go with the 6.8 in that case?

Also, why skip the Stag Upper?

-Gene

capitol
07-19-2007, 6:39 PM
Yea BUT....wouldn't you agree the Grendel will do everything the 6.8 SPC will do and then some.
The 6.8 has more energy deposit within a few hundred yards I guess.
Is the 6.8 as accurate as the 6.5 within 300 yards. I can only speak for my 65G. The holes are touching at 100 yards and are sub moa at 200 yards from a 16" barrel. Thats flat shooting.

C.G.
07-19-2007, 6:40 PM
Already have the stag lower.. doesnt support 6.5 grendel

already have long range capacity.. want 6.8 spc for cqb to 300 yds

Why wouldn't a Stag lower support 6.5 Grendel?:confused: Any other AR-15 lower does.

If you want to go CQB to 300 yards than the 6.8 SPC is fine.

C.G.
07-19-2007, 6:42 PM
Umm...isn't this one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

"And CG came riding on a black horse and had a 6.8SPC in his hand and from his mouth came DOOM."

LOL,:D hardly. There are a few more calibers (especially .338 LM) that I want to get before I will get the 6.8 SPC.

turinreza
07-19-2007, 6:47 PM
Why wouldn't a Stag lower support 6.5 Grendel?:confused: Any other AR-15 lower does.

If you want to go CQB to 300 yards than the 6.8 SPC is fine.

it does? thought the mag well was a different size..
hmm..

might go 6.5 then..

C.G.
07-19-2007, 6:54 PM
I was thinking doing this as well and using the 6.8SPC to hunt wild pig. Is there a really strong reason to not go with the 6.8 in that case?

-Gene

Not a great hunting bullet selection for 6.8 SPC. Last time I checked there was only 110 and 115 hunting bullets, maybe someone else can chime in on that. With Grendel it is 90 to 130 (140 if you want to single load).
For wild pig I think the .50 Beowulf is a better round then either 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel (and yeah, I know that people have killed wild pig with .223).

capitol
07-19-2007, 6:55 PM
might go 6.5 then..

Its the right choice

C.G.
07-19-2007, 6:55 PM
it does? thought the mag well was a different size..
hmm..

might go 6.5 then..

Magwell is same, mags are different than 5.56 (but so are the mags for the 6.8 SPC).

ar15barrels
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Kmart and Walmart sell 6.5 Grendel ammo now right?
Just order up that 6.5 upper.
They are easily available so you should have it in about a week.
With the wide range of companies selling factory Grendel ammo, you can pick all sorts of different loads for less than 60 cents a round.

Never mind, scratch all that...

bwiese
07-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Yea BUT....wouldn't you agree the Grendel will do everything the 6.8 SPC will do and then some.

Yep, and you can get your exercise trying to find ammo for it.

While one or two companies have started making some ammo for it, it still has the Stench of Weirdness about it. I'm not sure we'll have 6.5G around in 10 years, Alexander Arms seemed to be doing everything they could to make it difficult to adopt with silly licensing agreements.

The 6.8 has more energy deposit within a few hundred yards I guess.

Energy is not a total or even substantial measure of killing/stopping ability.

Is the 6.8 as accurate as the 6.5 within 300 yards. I can only speak for my 65G. The holes are touching at 100 yards and are sub moa at 200 yards from a 16" barrel. Thats flat shooting.

With proper loading/bullets, I'm sure very very accurate 6.8SPCs can be made.

Heck, 6.8SPC ammo is expensive enough alone - combined with 6.5's rarity - that I don't see why someone goes to 6.5 unless they have a very unique longer range application, which likely can be well-served by good ol' 308.

For a noob wanting an AR non 223/5.56 rifle, 6.5 is a pretty poor choice. 6.8SPC is more realistic - I will also note that the orig poster seems to have some cost sensitivity since he's trying to be cheap on the rifle side...

ar15barrels
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't want to spend over $800

This certainly rules out a 6.5 Grendel.

I have Kotonics 6.8 Barrels in stock that I can build you an upper with.

C.G.
07-20-2007, 1:29 AM
Yep, and you can get your exercise trying to find ammo for it.

While one or two companies have started making some ammo for it, it still has the Stench of Weirdness about it. I'm not sure we'll have 6.5G around in 10 years, Alexander Arms seemed to be doing everything they could to make it difficult to adopt with silly licensing agreements.

Energy is not a total or even substantial measure of killing/stopping ability.

With proper loading/bullets, I'm sure very very accurate 6.8SPCs can be made.

Heck, 6.8SPC ammo is expensive enough alone - combined with 6.5's rarity - that I don't see why someone goes to 6.5 unless they have a very unique longer range application, which likely can be well-served by good ol' 308.

For a noob wanting an AR non 223/5.56 rifle, 6.5 is a pretty poor choice. 6.8SPC is more realistic - I will also note that the orig poster seems to have some cost sensitivity since he's trying to be cheap on the rifle side...

While I agree with you on many things, and I do not knock the 6.8 SPC as much as you knock the 6.5; why is it exactly that Remington dropped the round they invented.:)

capitol
07-20-2007, 7:42 AM
I didn't read the under $800 part of his post. Yup, forget the Grendel.

And why did Remington discontinue the 6.8 SPC :confused: :D

bwiese
07-20-2007, 9:38 AM
While I agree with you on many things, and I do not knock the 6.8 SPC as much as you knock the 6.5; why is it exactly that Remignton dropped the round they invented.:)

and why did Remington discontinue the 6.8 SPC

I do not 'dislike' the 6.5G, I just think there's a very good chance it'll be an orphan round - far more so than 6.8SPC. The cost differential for the ammo tells me "go use 308" (admittedly 6.8SPC is not bulk-cheap either, but it's rational). Also, the 6.5G appears to require a custom AR15 upper receiver ejection port opening, making it a "one more weird part" situation to support this caliber. 6.8SPC => new bolt, new bbl, new mag.

I believe Remmy did 6.8SPC as a limited/semiexperimental production. It did not get the mass-market traction it needed for Remmy's happiness various other vendors were producing loads for it in fairly large quantities. Remington also had issues with soft brass for 6.8SPC, and their rounds were loaded ~150-200fps lighter than other manufacturer's: that is, the advantages of 6.8SPC could not necessarily be found in Remmy loads given they were 'loaded light' and not really at design velocity.

Silver State Ammo is making large amounts of 6.8SPC brass and loaded ammo.

I think there's over a 10:1 - 15:1 ratio for 6.8SPC uppers/rifles shipped to date vs. 6.5G.

hoffmang
07-20-2007, 9:47 AM
And now I wobble back toward a 6.8SPC build...

-Gene

C.G.
07-20-2007, 10:03 AM
And now I wobble back toward a 6.8SPC build...

-Gene

Gene, get both.:D

ar15barrels
07-20-2007, 1:23 PM
I think there's over a 10:1 - 15:1 ratio for 6.8SPC uppers/rifles shipped to date vs. 6.5G.

The actual number of 6.5 Grendel AR's out there is vastly over-stated.
The ratio is more likely around 25:1 or 50:1 in favor of the SPC as far as actual guns in the field.

As of about a year ago, there were 350 Grendel AR's in existence per Arne of CSS who did all the sales of AA and CSS (the only makers at that time) 6.5 Grendel complete AR's and uppers.

That's 350 units in 4-5 years of marketing and selling.
Let's say the market exploded and they sold 650 more in the last year.
Not likely, but if you believe the hype, there MIGHT be 1000 6.5 Grendel chambered AR's in existence.

It's a great cartridge, but it's still a lightly supported wildcat at this point.

grammaton76
07-20-2007, 1:40 PM
I don't see why Remington's support matters at this point. The chamber specs are open, last I heard, and folks other than Remington are making the ammo... heck, it's an open source caliber.

Which is kind of the opposite of the direction that 6.5 went in.