PDA

View Full Version : School Me: 10/22 or Dedicated AR Upper?

Full Clip
10-30-2012, 9:23 PM
I was looking at this DPMS model upper (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/717600/dpms-ar-15-a3-flat-top-conversion-upper-assembly-22-long-rifle-1-in-16-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-free-float-handguard-10-round-magazine) or a tactical 10/22. (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html)
Thoughts?

NorCalDustin
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Dedicated Upper all day long... I recommend the CMMG & TACCOM (http://www.taccom3g.com/) dedicated uppers... Solid uppers, reliable, uses lots of standard AR-15 parts, bla bla bla... Same sh*t i've been preaching for a couple years on here :)... My opinion has never changed.

Look, I love the 10/22... I've got a couple, i love them... I also have 3 CMMG setups and 1 TACCOM Ultra Light setup... I prefer them.

Just my $0.02

AR22
10-31-2012, 6:51 AM
Definitley go the Dedicated AR22 upper route. In my opinion it is silly to spend the money on trying to copy something else with parts added to a 10-22.

We have two CMMG uppers. Both with the stainless Bolts. Get that for sure. Well worth the few extra dollars to have it. One of our CMMGs has the original barrel. The other has a Taccom lightweight 17 inch barrel. I have 10-22s and they are nice little rifles but the CMMG dedicated upper is so so much more fun. Our 10-22 never goes with us anymore since we discovered the Dedicated uppers. You will be very happy if you get the CMMG. I have read the DPMS are good uppers also and I would choose that over the 10-22 route but I would choose CMMG over both of them however..

Heres a pic of our CMMG with the taccom barrel. Very accurrate and functions 100% perfect..
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/6783/cmmgforcalguns.jpg

the86d
10-31-2012, 7:35 AM
Both, shoot all day +more for a $25 Walmart 400-525+ pack!

Full Clip
10-31-2012, 9:13 AM
Both, shoot all day +more for a $25 Walmart 400-525+ pack!

Ha, yeah, probably will get both in the long run!

Sunday
10-31-2012, 9:40 AM
The 10/22 is a wonderful 22 rifle and quality AR upper is really cool! If you have an AR why not get the 22 upper ,,, for all the proper reasons

jingerale
10-31-2012, 10:00 AM

me too. I was in your shoe 2 weeks ago. Have all parts ordered for a dedicated upper. TACCOM barrel with CMMG SS bolt.

JackRydden224
10-31-2012, 10:44 AM

Yup. I got my dedicated AR-22 and now I'm building a 10/22. The AR-22 is a practice gun - plinker. The 10/22 is going to be more of a precision gun.

AR22
10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
My CMMG with the Taccom Barrel will do better than a stock 10-22 in the precision category. The stock CMMG will shoot just as tight as a stock 10-22. The DPMS will outshoot any stock 10-22 also. Yes all three setups can be as precision as you want it, just depends how much you want to spend on them to make upgrades..

Do not believe for a second that todays AR22 cannot shoot very accurate and consistently. Advances are being made in the AR22 world over the original Ciener Conversions,the old versions were not nearly as advanced as they are now and were not nearly as reliable as they are now.

CMMG is coming out with a "precision" upper soon and from what I have read and seen test targets from them, the test uppers are nothing short of amazing in the accurracy Dept. We will see how they turn out once they are produced for the masses. Thanks

itisagoodname
10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
What ammo are you guys using? I have my ULW barrel and stock on order as well. My older CMMG conversion really only likes Minimags and even then theres an occasional misfeed.

Here is my .22lr pistol build :biggrinjester:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55403425/20121020_210938.jpg

bohoki
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
all things being equal its better to have a second gun than a set of parts

Quinc
10-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Go with the 10/22. Much more fun to shoot.

roc_my_tims
10-31-2012, 1:03 PM
Id get the 2nd gun. 10/22

AR22
10-31-2012, 2:26 PM
My CMMGs will more likely run anything. But the only three we have ever shot and it runs 100% perfect with these, Winchester Bulk,Federal Bulk but my favorite to shoot is CCI Standard Velocity, the CCI is a little more cost wise but it is also much more accurate then the other two. Never fails to feed or fire. EVER. Both have the stainless bolt assemblies. I own 10-22s, have my first one I ever bought yet in 1986. The only people that could possibly say a 10-22 is more fun shoot than a dedicated upper .22 is if they have never shot a dedicated upper. Like I said earlier. Our poor Rugers sit in the safe now since we discovered the CMMGs. Never take em when we go. Poor things.

Get a dedicated upper and your 10-22 will become very lonely too. I gaurentee it!

uxo2
10-31-2012, 2:29 PM
Get Both.......

Paul053
10-31-2012, 2:32 PM
Hey AR22 his are those new evolution magazines? Do the work well with the bolt hold open?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jingerale
10-31-2012, 2:40 PM
Hey AR22 his are those new evolution magazines? Do the work well with the bolt hold open?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Evolution line of mags are designed to work with CMMG BHOA. I'm gonna try to score some over the weekend at the gunshow. It's been back ordered on CMMG.

pennys dad
10-31-2012, 3:49 PM
I am comparing 3 rifles and ammo on this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=636916

I like the AR best but that is because I am on an AR thing right now, on that note, I will not get ride of the Marlin or 10/22 so get the one u like.

AR22
10-31-2012, 4:44 PM
I only have one 25 round Evolution mag. To get mine to work the Bolt Hold Open faithfully I had to do two things,one to the lower and one to the mag. I cut a couple coils off the mag catch spring,this is a multi use AR Lower for a 5.56 upper too but clipping the coils did not affect function with that upper at all, and I added a short piece of coil spring from the Hardware store under the original Follower spring to give it a little stiffer spring. Works great after those two mods. Should not be neccesary to do this but I like the mag and did not want to return it,they should work as advertised right out of the box. The new Evolution mags are the only complaint I have ever had with our CMMG .22 uppers. We use mostly BlackDog drum mags anyway.

donw
10-31-2012, 4:50 PM
if you have the lowers you want...get the dedicated uppers in .22lr

Losd619
11-01-2012, 5:46 AM
Man after reading this thread I am even more excited about getting my dedicated .22 built. I am going with the taccom bolt setup but I am at a cross on what I should do for the barrel. What is the accuracy difference between a 16" cmmg stock barrel, vs the taccom 17" barrel? I am heavily leaning towards the cmmg because for whatever reason I just can't stand the look of a bull barrel.

Hopefully the accuracy isn't too far off so I am not too penalized by my OCD lol.

AR22
11-01-2012, 6:14 AM
Well right now I do not think Taccom is selling the Bolt seperately. Atleast when I asked a month or so back. As far as accurracy differance. In my case our one with the Taccom shoots slightly better. Nice advantage of the Taccom is you can put together a very light rifle with it. The CMMG stock barrel would serve you fine though as there is not a lot of accurracy differance, the Taccom is a little tighter shooting but not significant enough for most to tell. I never really cared for the looks of the Taccom right off either but really like it now and the barrel only weighs like 14 ounces. You could do like us. Get the CMMG first and then put together another and use the Taccom barrel.

Rule .308
11-01-2012, 6:19 AM
It is funny, me and my kids all grew up on 10/22's. My grandkids and the neighbor boys will not even look at the 10/22s, they go right for the .22lr DPMS setup. My only gripes are that I cannot close the dust cover on it, .22 bolt gets in the way, and it does not hold open. It is an older design but it runs like a sewing machine on everything I have put through it. Eldest grandson and neighbor kids wrung that sucker out big time just a couple of weekends back. Mine is kind of a M4gery set up with just a simple Matech rear sight. When I get around to some simple optics/red dot type set up those boys are going to think they died and went to heaven.

My 10/22s are cool but for little kids they are a bit on the heavy side with the big barrels and all.

AR22
11-01-2012, 7:09 AM
The DPMS are alright but I went with the CMMG for a few reasons. One is the CMMG uses a standard AR upper reciever. You can change the barrel and bolt on a CMMG and it can be a standard AR15 then. Cannot do that with the DPMS as far as I know. Barrel changes are easy on a CMMG and it can have all the function of a "real" AR15 with options. All CMMGs have a fuctioning dust cover.

We run a Bushnell Red Dot on the one shown up in the pic. They are very nice little red dots. We made the riser mount as they are too low the way they come. There is a Company that makes a riser but we preffered to make our own mount.

Everyone that has shot our CMMG uppers have fallen in love and say "I want one" No one ever said that about my 10-22s. Our CMMG as shown above weighs right at 5.5 pounds with the Taccom Barrel. Very nice feel and balance to it and handles very nice. Very quick target to target accusition if that is useful to you...Thanks

ejhc11
11-03-2012, 6:57 AM
I'm going to sell my 10/22 - not shooting it much after buying my CMMG rimfire upper.

Did sell the top upper to a Calgunner to fund a Sig pistol. Before I got one I never thought I would spend that much for a rimfire but now I shoot it more than the AR15, and functions and strips close to an AR15. Also, mine shoots very reliably w/cheap bulk Federals but I prefer using the Winchester M-22s, a lot more kick to them.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/AR15/ARRimfire.jpg

AR22
11-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Really nice. They are a blast to shoot..

NorCalDustin
11-03-2012, 2:12 PM
Man after reading this thread I am even more excited about getting my dedicated .22 built. I am going with the taccom bolt setup but I am at a cross on what I should do for the barrel. What is the accuracy difference between a 16" cmmg stock barrel, vs the taccom 17" barrel? I am heavily leaning towards the cmmg because for whatever reason I just can't stand the look of a bull barrel.

Hopefully the accuracy isn't too far off so I am not too penalized by my OCD lol.
My TACCOM barrel shoots way better than the CMMG barrels... Look, the CMMG barrels dont shoot bad and IMHO they don't really disappoint... But, the TACCOM barrels are supremely accurate and WAY lighter.

Here's some links to some groups:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=568020
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=582742

dd03
11-05-2012, 9:31 AM
CMMG is coming out with a "precision" upper soon and from what I have read and seen test targets from them, the test uppers are nothing short of amazing in the accurracy Dept. We will see how they turn out once they are produced for the masses. Thanks

Do you have a link that I can take a look at? I'm very interested in this.

AR22
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
See if this gets you to one of them. This is over on the AR15.com forum. If this does not work just search over there for the CMMG Tango upper in the rimfire section..Theres atleast one more thread there too I believe somewhere.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/587247_Field_Testing_of_CMMG_s_TANGO_Upper__First_ time_at_100_yards__Totally_Amazing________________ ____.html

Losd619
11-05-2012, 3:46 PM
My TACCOM barrel shoots way better than the CMMG barrels... Look, the CMMG barrels dont shoot bad and IMHO they don't really disappoint... But, the TACCOM barrels are supremely accurate and WAY lighter.

Here's some links to some groups:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=568020
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=582742

Way better or just a little better? Everything I have read from people that own both is that the cmmg barrel will perform very close, just not nearly as light.

NorCalDustin
11-05-2012, 5:05 PM
on a BAD day with my taccom I'm getting 1.5-2" at 100yrds with BULK ammo... On my good days with nice glass and bulk ammo I can put down a solid 1MOA... Its insane what can be done with match ammo.

On my BEST day my CMMG's will do 3-5" at 100yrds with bulk... Personally for rimfire I am very happy with groups like this.. But the TACCOM is more accurate.

NorCalDustin
11-05-2012, 5:05 PM
on a BAD day with my taccom I'm getting 1.5-2" at 100yrds with BULK ammo... On my good days with nice glass and bulk ammo I can put down a solid 1MOA... Its insane what can be done with match ammo.

On my BEST day my CMMG's will do 3-5" at 100yrds with bulk... Personally for rimfire I am very happy with groups like this.. But the TACCOM is more accurate.

Losd619
11-05-2012, 6:47 PM

Hmm, how about at 50? Only shooting 100 yard groups?

NorCalDustin
11-05-2012, 9:30 PM
at 50yrds they are about 1/2 compared to 100yrds

Full Clip
11-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Well, I decided to not make a decision and got a CMMG Echo SS conversion kit instead (found on great sale). I'll get the dedicated upper another time.

AR22
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
You will still have alot of fun with the Dropin assembly. Just do not expect alot of great accurracy is all. We started with a dropin conversion but did not take long to go complete dedicated upper. About two weeks to be exact,LOL When you are ready to go full dedicated upper you will have the Bolt already. Just will need a dedicated collar to swap out the Chamber adapter. A Cheap standard AR upper reciever and a Taccom or CMMG Barrel. You just as well start looking for those things now! Have Fun

Full Clip
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
When you are ready to go full dedicated upper you will have the Bolt already. Just will need a dedicated collar to swap out the Chamber adapter. A Cheap standard AR upper reciever and a Taccom or CMMG Barrel. You just as well start looking for those things now! Have Fun

Good to know. I already have a spare generic stripped upper receiver in my parts box...

AR22
11-11-2012, 2:21 PM
Well if you already have the upper reciever all you need later on is a Taccom barrel as they come with a barrel collar. I paid I think around 130.00 shipped for my Taaccom Barrel and collar. You can use any Standard AR15 Charging handle with the CMMG Bolt. Just add an optic or iron sights and your all set.