PDA

View Full Version : So now that I can't shoot Wolf at Burro...

jumbopanda
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Where can I go now? Can someone suggest a range or maybe a spot in the desert? About 85% of my ammo is steel case, so I can't really deal with not being able to shoot it.

Oswald2001
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Have you considered archery? :)

Steel jacket and/or steel core considerations aside, I have had to figure a whole lot more .22 into my shooting equation due to rising costs.

The 10/22 should be seeing more use. Don't have the ammo restrictions concerns with them.

1919_4_ME
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
I hear paintball is becoming more popular...:eek:

82A1CAL
07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
stop shooting your AK?

River Jack
07-19-2007, 1:49 AM
Inland Fish and Game in Highland does not restrict what type of ammo you shoot. You can shoot Wolf all day long there.

gunrun45
07-19-2007, 2:09 AM
Why the heck would anybody not want you to shoot steel case outside? You would think they would be happy that you are putting LESS LEAD into the ground (not that there is that much steel in the WOLF ammo anyway, its an alloy really).

I can only assume that this is because people leave so many steel cases around on teh ground afterwards??

Never been to Brrow. I live in Northern CA (north of Sac)

stevie
07-19-2007, 4:00 AM
Guess Mojave desert, some shooting places way out wonder. Steel core ammo?

TheMan
07-19-2007, 5:35 AM
Why the heck would anybody not want you to shoot steel case outside?

Fire hazard issues. Steel hits rock, creates spark. There was a fire at burro very recently because of this. Apparently it is a common problem when everything gets very dry. Many ranges have similar restrictions in socal. It doesn't take much of a spark at this time of year.

thomasanelson
07-19-2007, 6:27 AM
Steel Case or Steel core? If it is Steel Case only, you can shoot at Angeles Range. No Steel core is allowed however.

Chaingun
07-19-2007, 6:40 AM
Why the heck would anybody not want you to shoot steel case outside? You would think they would be happy that you are putting LESS LEAD into the ground (not that there is that much steel in the WOLF ammo anyway, its an alloy really).

I can only assume that this is because people leave so many steel cases around on teh ground afterwards??

Never been to Brrow. I live in Northern CA (north of Sac)

Should be a similar amount of lead in the bullet, the jacket is steel instead of copper.

simonov
07-19-2007, 6:44 AM
There should be no problem with steel CASED ammunition.

I have a lot of Wolf 7.62x39mm. The stuff in the black boxes has ferrous bullets and draws a magnet. I shoot it in the desert.

The stuff in the yellow boxes does not draw a magnet, and I can shoot it anywhere.

ALL of it is steel CASED.

Edit: when using a magnet to test for ferrous bullets, be sure to apply it to the BULLET, not the CASE. Obviously, any steel case will draw a magnet as well.

And BTW, for the complete noobs: that thing you load into your rifle to make it fire? That's not a bullet, it's a cartridge. The bullet is the little bit at the front that is actually fired out of the rifle. This is what we want to test for steel.

Prc329
07-19-2007, 6:54 AM
Looks like you are getting steel case mixed up with steel core. Steel case is the case the bullet, powder and primer are set in. Steel core is the bullet having a steel core instead of lead. This is also called (in some ammo) steel penetrator. SS109 is steel penetrator.

Steel core is not allowed because it can cause a fire. As a matter of fact that very thing happened recently at Burro.

Oswald2001
07-19-2007, 7:27 AM
YOU CANNOT USE...STEEL CORE...OR...STEEL JACKET...AMMO AT BURRO.

Quote from the Burro web site:

"Please remember that NO steel core, steel jacketed, or tracer ammunition is allowed. We are relying on YOU the guests to be especially careful this year because of the exceptionally DRY conditions. and we thank you in advance for your cooperation."

http://www.burrocanyon.com/

What material the cartridge case is made of is not important since it is not going down range at high velocity and cannot start a fire.

The projectile itself is what matters.

A projectile with a Steel CORE can start a fire.

A projectile with a Steel JACKET can start a fire.

kap
07-19-2007, 7:30 AM
Like others have said, you can not shoot steel core, but steel case is fine.

This is from the Burro Canyon Website (http://www.burrocanyon.com/)

FIRE SEASON IS NOW HERE!

We have arrived at that time of the year again when shooters MUST be especially diligent regarding ammunition in the National Forest.

Please remember that NO steel core, steel jacketed, or tracer ammunition is allowed. We are relying on YOU the guests to be especially careful this year because of the exceptionally DRY conditions. and we thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Oswald2001
07-19-2007, 7:42 AM
What many seem to have missed is that you cannot use steel jacketed ammo as well as not using steel core.

Steel case refers only to the cartridge case.

Steel jacket refers to the projectile jacket.

proraptor
07-19-2007, 7:58 AM
Sucks.....My wolf 7.62 X 39 attracts a magnet....So now I cant shoot my AK or my steyr m95 :(

kap
07-19-2007, 8:06 AM
So Wolf ammo has a bi-metal jacket (part copper and part steel). Still a no-no?

kap
07-19-2007, 8:10 AM
Just called Burro and bi-metal or anything that sticks to a magnet is not allowed due to fire danger. After it rains a little they will ease up on the restriction though.

proraptor
07-19-2007, 8:26 AM
Man that sucks.....Which wolf is the one that doesnt attract a magnet?

rksimple
07-19-2007, 8:27 AM
Man that sucks.....Which wolf is the one that doesnt attract a magnet?

The yellow box 7.62x39.

BaronW
07-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Just called Burro and bi-metal or anything that sticks to a magnet is not allowed due to fire danger. After it rains a little they will ease up on the restriction though.

That sounds entirely reasonable. I'm glad they're going to be smart about when it's verboten instead of a permanent ban.

ghettoshecky
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
The yellow box 7.62x39.

not according to retarded range workers. They get the magnet and it sticks to the case and go "see it's no good here." not wanting to cause a scene I just shake my head and think 'asses'

simonov
07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
not according to retarded range workers. They get the magnet and it sticks to the case and go "see it's no good here." not wanting to cause a scene I just shake my head and think 'asses'

If that ever happened to me, I'm afraid I would have to cause a scene.

Oswald2001
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
So Wolf ammo has a bi-metal jacket (part copper and part steel). Still a no-no?

Bi-metal is really just steel jacket...with copper plating or guilding or 'wash'.

Use of the term "be-metal" is generally just marketing so that you don't think that they are really steel jacketed...which, essentially,...they are.

ar15barrels
07-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Bi-metal is really just steel jacket...with copper plating or guilding or 'wash'.

Use of the term "be-metal" is generally just marketing so that you don't think that they are really steel jacketed...which, essentially,...they are.

Absolutely correct.

nanoer
07-20-2007, 12:30 AM
lytle creek up the 15 will let you shoot almost anything besides the illegalies and steel core. steel case ammo is o.k. but the head has to be brass. I shot 1k rounds there with my ak at rapid fire and they didn't care.... attracted much attention from the folks there :-D but all in all lots of people wanted to try my ak. It was a fun day there....just wished I have charged them a buck or two to shoot it :p