PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my New, Fully Assembled AR-15....Finally. 56k go away.

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 4:15 PM
First off, I want to thank all of the CalGuns.net members that have helped me, and educated me. I can honestly say it's been a long time since I have been so excited about building anything. In fact, I hate to say it, but last time I felt like this was when I was about 10 at Christmas :)

This build was one of the coolest things I have ever done and I can't wait to get started on my second build (which will be an M16A2 style, as oppose to the M4 style I have now). Special thanks to David @ RifleGear.com for just exceptional service since day one. As long as his business is around, I am going to order my parts from his company.

Quick questions. I want to go shooting tommorow up in the hills with my Dad. Is their a certain Ammo you guys would recommend for a brand new rifle? Sure as hell don't want to be feeding Wolf through it (atleast not at this point). Anyways, here she is:

http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/1.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/2.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/3.jpg

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 4:15 PM
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/7.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/8.jpg

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 4:16 PM
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/11.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/12.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/13.jpg
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/6.jpg

mltrading
07-18-2007, 4:22 PM
Excellent build!!!

Any concerns to make it even more tacti-cool?:D

Or try to build your next upper from scratch?

1064chubbs
07-18-2007, 4:26 PM
good looking rifle. nice build;)

JOEKILLA
07-18-2007, 4:27 PM
I've used all AE rounds in my Stag since day 1.

mltrading
07-18-2007, 4:31 PM
BTW, your title "56K go away" makes me think that you've spent $56K.:D

I guess you are talking about the large image files. They are not suitable for 56K modem users.;)

-hanko
07-18-2007, 4:35 PM
Excellent build!!!

Any concerns to make it even more tacti-cool?:D

Or try to build your next upper from scratch?
King$nake, i'd counter the above by congratulating you on building a first class rifle right out of the gate. tacti-cool in common usage usually equates to more useless accessories that may make the owner feel more like a cop/soldier/mall ninja:D...in the end, they give you a 12 pound gun that's a pita to hump all day. Easy to forget that tactical is what you do, not what's hung on your gun.

Most refreshing to see a battle rifle that actually looks like a battle rifle. You did very well;)

-hanko

mltrading
07-18-2007, 4:41 PM
King$nake, i'd counter the above by congratulating you on building a first class rifle right out of the gate. tacti-cool in common usage usually equates to more useless accessories that may make the owner feel more like a cop/soldier/mall ninja:D...in the end, they give you a 12 pound gun that's a pita to hump all day. Easy to forget that tactical is what you do, not what's hung on your gun.

Most refreshing to see a battle rifle that actually looks like a battle rifle. You did very well;)

-hanko

No need to be so tacti-cool.;) A free-float forearm is a cost effective investment for noticeable accuracy improvement (and looks cool).:p

shark92651
07-18-2007, 4:43 PM
Looking good. You can remove the 1H label from the front sight now :D

Jicko
07-18-2007, 4:55 PM
Looking good. You can remove the 1H label from the front sight now :D

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say..... "man, remove the tag!!!"

RE: ammo..... get Federal's XM193 if you can, if not, Federal AE223 is good too....

Also, I think you may want to clean your b/bc first.... sometimes they come covered with what they put on for "long term storage"....

PS. does 56k dial-up service *still* exist?? I thought they extincted like "film cameras" already....

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 4:58 PM
That's EXACTLY what I was going to say..... "man, remove the tag!!!"

RE: ammo..... get Federal's XM193 if you can, if not, Federal AE223 is good too....

i like the tag. Looks "unfired". But yes, I removed it already. Now I need to take another 25 pictures from all angles, lol.

Thanks for the comments guys. No Tacticool goodies for this gun. Not about to drop $500 on a stupid flashlight, or another $300 for a stupid laser, lol.

My money now is going to another AR, this time an A2 with the 20" upper and A2 stock. That way I have the M4 and the M16A2 style. :cool:

Diablo
07-18-2007, 4:59 PM
Leave the tag on....It lets everyone know it's a brand new rifle..:rofl:

Nice build..

Jicko
07-18-2007, 5:01 PM
You need a railed handguard, or else it is NOT a M4gery!! :D

Clean up the outside your upper receiver with CLP, then it will look more "uniform"...

Socal858
07-18-2007, 5:03 PM
strip and clean your bolt

if you are going shooting right away and have no time to wait for ammo, the walmart green box $6.44 UMC is pretty good

xenophobe
07-18-2007, 5:12 PM
What? No pictures of your bullet button or Prince 50? :p

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 5:13 PM
CLP will take care of the outside of the rifle? I got "Tri-Lube" for the internals..

ar15barrels
07-18-2007, 5:24 PM
No Tacticool goodies for this gun. Not about to drop $500 on a stupid flashlight

My "spare parts upper" resents that $500 flashlight comment.
The good news is that I only paid $400 for the light, new in the box.
It was obviously mis-priced because it's a $600 flashlight.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/scrap.jpg

And if you had tried that $600 flashlight, you would not think it was stupid anymore. ;)

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 5:28 PM
My "spare parts upper" resents that $500 flashlight comment.
The good news is that I only paid $400 for the light, new in the box.
It was obviously mis-priced because it's a $600 flashlight.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/scrap.jpg

And if you had tried that $600 flashlight, you would not think it was stupid anymore. ;)

I'm sure it's great and all, but I really have no need for it right now.

Technical Ted
07-18-2007, 5:33 PM
You need a railed handguard, or else it is NOT a M4gery!! :D
M4's are shipped from Colt with standard M4 handguards. US Army Armorers install the KAC rails when they receive the rifles.

CrazyJeep
07-18-2007, 7:00 PM
Does Stag use "F" marked FSBs?

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 8:48 PM
Anyways, taking my rifle out shooting tommorow. Any tips of advice while shooting for the first time? What parts should be cleaned/lube after the first day of shooting? Should I break it all down in my apartment and clean everything (even trigger/hammer/disconnector?).

All units please advise...

wilit
07-18-2007, 9:59 PM
http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/gun/10.jpg

Please tell me you're using a bullet button to lock the magazine in place. Otherwise, I'd remove this photo from the net. ;)

Nice looking rifle BTW.

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Please tell me you're using a bullet button to lock the magazine in place. Otherwise, I'd remove this photo from the net. ;)

Nice looking rifle BTW.

Bullet Button is installed. Used a Bullet tip to remove the mag ?

tcp
07-18-2007, 10:18 PM
as others have said strip,clean and clp the hell out of your bolt before heading out. good luck on finding ammo.:D

swhatb
07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Bullet Button is installed. Used a Bullet tip to remove the mag ?

at'ta boy :D

Jicko
07-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Nice looking rifle BTW.

Don't be paranoid .... a pic proves nothing...

ghost
07-18-2007, 10:45 PM
whats the barrel twist/length? then we can give you better ammo choices you can shoot with different results.

|-007-|
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Good looking rifle. I was planning on building a Stag up before I found a much better offer.

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 11:05 PM

Still going to travel with the upper / lower seperated. Takes about a second to disconnect/reconnect. Just playin' it safe. At that point, if the gun is not assembled, they are just gun "parts", correct?

BlackReef
07-18-2007, 11:17 PM
whats the barrel twist/length? then we can give you better ammo choices you can shoot with different results.

Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist

Man I can't keep my hands off this gun. This is got to be the coolest thing I have ever purchased. Now I really know what BRD is all about....I feel bad for all you guys, lol.

Lateralus
07-18-2007, 11:24 PM
i cant help notice it is only the port side of the rifle.... maybe a pic of the BB/P50 would make some of us rest easier.....

aplinker
07-18-2007, 11:34 PM

It's Stag, so 1/9, and the length is 16" from the pics.

I wouldn't sweat shooting anything from it. You first time -- it's guaranteed to be better than you are. I'd go with cheap anything. You're being paranoid, IMHO, by avoiding Wolf, but anything by anyone else should work fine. Winchester White Box, PMC, UMC, Fiocchi, Federal American Eagle or XM193... whatever you can get your hands on.

Make sure the carry handle is tight and use a 25yd target to sight it in. You adjust up/down on the front and left/right on the rear. If you don't want to use a target, just shoot the berm and look for the "poof". Adjust accordingly. Be certain to use the smaller aperture of the rear sight. It just flips. It's easier to get that one right using it, and the large will be right, too. The other way around sometimes has problems.

The only thing I would get, if I were you, are a few 10/20 mags... Preferably Bushmaster light gray ones (if you can find them). I've also had good luck with the straight body 10/20's they sell -- no clue who makes them.

aplinker
07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Still going to travel with the upper / lower seperated. Takes about a second to disconnect/reconnect. Just playin' it safe. At that point, if the gun is not assembled, they are just gun "parts", correct?

Depends on what's on the lower receiver. Some would argue having a pistol grip and/or collapsible stock without a locked mag could be construed to be an assault weapon, even without an upper. On the other side, some make the argument that the lower could be for a bolt-action or rimfire weapon.

mason1800
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
hey, how do you guys insert pixs?

mason1800
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
but very nice build!!!

ar15barrels
07-19-2007, 12:10 AM
if the gun is not assembled, they are just gun "parts", correct?

No.
If you have all the parts to make an assault weapon, you have "constructive intent" if you can't prove an otherwise legitimate use for the parts.

For example, there are almost no SBR's or MG's in CA so you don't own one.
Owning a 10.5" upper and NOT owning a pistol, SBR or MG registered receiver would constitute "constructive intent" unless you could prove that you owned that upper for a lower that's used out of state where SBR's, MG's and AR pistols are legal.

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 12:32 AM
No.
If you have all the parts to make an assault weapon, you have "constructive intent" if you can't prove an otherwise legitimate use for the parts.

For example, there are almost no SBR's or MG's in CA so you don't own one.
Owning a 10.5" upper and NOT owning a pistol, SBR or MG registered receiver would constitute "constructive intent" unless you could prove that you owned that upper for a lower that's used out of state where SBR's, MG's and AR pistols are legal.

Well, Im driving back to San Diego tommorow morning to go shooting. Just to be safe, I took the pistol grip off (not that big of deal, 30 second job) and wrapped it in a bag. I also disconnected the Upper from the Lower and wrapped each piece. The lower also still has a BB equipped (WITHOUT the Pistol Grip, lol). I placed all the parts in the Stag Box, and placed the Stag Box in the original USPS cardboard box, and re-taped it lol.

Paranoid? maybe a little bit, but I have taken alot of pride in building this gun and am in love with it. There's gonna be a hellstorm if someone tries to take it away from me. It's LEGAL, and I want to play it safe to ensure I can keep my rifle. Also, if you think I am paranoid, remember this is my first time transporting the rifle. All this unnecessary prep will wear off over time, I'm sure.

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 12:33 AM
btw, how am I ever gonna get that BB out of the gun when I travel to Arizona? that puppy is in there tight

Jicko
07-19-2007, 12:58 AM
btw, how am I ever gonna get that BB out of the gun when I travel to Arizona? that puppy is in there tight

KS:

1) BB coming out? NOT EASY.... so, if you are planning to go out of state a lot, my recommendation is to get another lower and use the set-screw mag-lock(original Prince50) on it

2) breaking them apart in transportation is just an added level of "peace of mind".... your rifle, should be legal..... assembled or broken-apart.... (period)

3) always try to keep a 10rounds or less magazine in with your lower.... that's another "peace of mind" thing you can do....

Randall:

I believed there is no "constructive intent" clause in the CA-state-level AW-ban. You are correct about "constructive intent" in the federal-level ban on SBR and MG tho.

Having in your possession a stripped lower, a LPK, a pistol grip and a magazine, and a telescoping stock and a completed upper that together can make a full-blown "CA Cat3 AW" DOES NOT make you a felon right there.

A broken apart upper assembly and lower assembly in your possession may never "in your intent" to be mated together(say you have a separated upper with a flash-suppressor and separated a lower assembly with the MMG).... you can have at home another "set" that you are "intent" to mate with them....

aplinker
07-19-2007, 2:23 AM
KS:

1) BB coming out? NOT EASY.... so, if you are planning to go out of state a lot, my recommendation is to get another lower and use the set-screw mag-lock(original Prince50) on it

2) breaking them apart in transportation is just an added level of "peace of mind".... your rifle, should be legal..... assembled or broken-apart.... (period)

3) always try to keep a 10rounds or less magazine in with your lower.... that's another "peace of mind" thing you can do....

Randall:

I believed there is no "constructive intent" clause in the CA-state-level AW-ban. You are correct about "constructive intent" in the federal-level ban on SBR and MG tho.

Having in your possession a stripped lower, a LPK, a pistol grip and a magazine, and a telescoping stock and a completed upper that together can make a full-blown "CA Cat3 AW" DOES NOT make you a felon right there.

A broken apart upper assembly and lower assembly in your possession may never "in your intent" to be mated together(say you have a separated upper with a flash-suppressor and separated a lower assembly with the MMG).... you can have at home another "set" that you are "intent" to mate with them....

If constructive intent were true we would all be screwed. We crack commandos would be sent to prison by a california court for crimes we didn't commit. Though I'm betting we'd all escape from the maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground, where we'd survive as soldiers of fortune. So if you need help, and you can find us...

I have flash hiders, pistol grips and vertical fore-grips unattached in my parts box and I have a built but unattached featureless lower with A2/MMG. There's no constructive intent for CA AWs. I know for a fact you have a few flash hiders, too.

Crazed_SS
07-19-2007, 2:57 AM

It might not prove anything, but it just might give probable cause for something.. just ask BWO.

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 1:47 PM
It might not prove anything, but it just might give probable cause for something.. just ask BWO.

wow....didn't he post pictures of himself on his MySpace account, holding assault weapons? I feel bad for the guy, and I back him 100%, but don't think for a damn second that I am doing anything close to that. Its a CALIFORNIA LEGAL RIFLE with a BULLET BUTTON INSTALLED with the MAGAZINE REMOVED. What the **** is the big deal...

ar15barrels
07-19-2007, 1:58 PM
Though I'm betting we'd all escape from the maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground, where we'd survive as soldiers of fortune. So if you need help, and you can find us...

I know for a fact you have a few flash hiders, too.

I have this mini 14, a big cigar and a black van with a red stripe and a wing on it so I'm ready to survive as a soldier of fortune.

I also have several registered AW's so the large supply of flash hiders, mags, VFG's and collapsible stocks that I possess is not a problem for me. :D

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 2:05 PM
I have this mini 14, a big cigar and a black van with a red stripe and a wing on it so I'm ready to survive as a soldier of fortune.

I also have several registered AW's so the large supply of flash hiders, mags, VFG's and collapsible stocks that I possess is not a problem for me. :D

When the West Coast gets invaded, I'm hanging out with you man.

Technical Ted
07-19-2007, 2:21 PM
Its a CALIFORNIA LEGAL RIFLE with a BULLET BUTTON INSTALLED with the MAGAZINE REMOVED. What the **** is the big deal...
Don't be an idiot.

To date, this configuration has never been officially "condoned" by the DOJ, or upheld in a court of law. If you read what Bill, Gene and others have written, it's best to err on the side of caution and leave a 10 rd mag in the well during storage and transportation.

Acceptance and awareness of the bullet button has not permeated to all levels of LE. You still run the chance that discovery of what you perceive to be a legally configured non-assault weapon firearm will be perceived to be an illegal assault weapon. Under those circumstances, the rifle can be confiscated and you can be arrested despite your protests that what you have is a legal rifle. The arresting LE will leave it up to the DA and court to be decided and you'll wind up paying the legal bills.

BTW What's the big hassle with posting a pic of the right side with the bullet button installed?

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 3:31 PM
BTW What's the big hassle with posting a pic of the right side with the bullet button installed?

i cant help notice it is only the port side of the rifle.... maybe a pic of the BB/P50 would make some of us rest easier.....

Here you go. I'm legit =)

Sorry I didn't take pics of it yesterday, but its ugly. It sticks out 3/4 inch, lol. Anyways here you go, enjoy and rest easy. :)

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/gun/15.jpg

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/gun/16.jpg

Noypi916
07-19-2007, 3:51 PM
King$nake, me I ask how much does it cost you to build/bought that black rifle? I'm in the market and wanted to know how much for a fully assembled AR-15 with that kind of config. Thanks and appreciate if you can let me know. :)

BlackReef
07-19-2007, 4:00 PM
King$nake, me I ask how much does it cost you to build/bought that black rifle? I'm in the market and wanted to know how much for a fully assembled AR-15 with that kind of config. Thanks and appreciate if you can let me know. :)

Sure bro -

Spikes' Stripped OLL w/ Color Filled FIRE/SAFE = $120
DROS Fees = $65
Stag Lower Parts Kit = $60
Stag M4 6-Position Collapsable Stock = $75
Stag 1H 16" 1/9 Chrome Lined Upper = $530 (with Tax)
Bushmaster 10-Rd Magazine = $20
Prince50 Bullet Button = $25

So around $895, not including Tax. You can save a couple hundred dollars building it yourself. I think the Cal-Legal Bushmasters (with welded magwell) MSRP for around $1200+

Hope that helps

Also when you go to order your parts, I would stick with the vendors at the top of the CalGuns.net page. Specifically RifleGear.com <--Great Prices/Service

-Joe

Jicko
07-19-2007, 4:01 PM
RE: example build
You can build one CHEAPER than you can buy a completed rifle. You can go to cold war shooters or 10% or lanworldinc (see the vendors on top of this page) and get EVERYTHING you need

- Stag lower $99.5
- Stag LPK $62
- Stag 6pos stock $60
- Stag upper (2H upper $465) [actually u can go with 3H, since the one u posted don't have sights neither, 3H is $425, making final price $689]
- bullet button $24
- 10 round magazine $18
> TOTAL $729

(pricing from lanworldinc.com just as an example, http://www.lanworldinc.com/Stag%20Arms.htm)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54897

Noypi916
07-19-2007, 7:01 PM
Sure bro -

Spikes' Stripped OLL w/ Color Filled FIRE/SAFE = $120
DROS Fees = $65
Stag Lower Parts Kit = $60
Stag M4 6-Position Collapsable Stock = $75
Stag 1H 16" 1/9 Chrome Lined Upper = $530 (with Tax)
Bushmaster 10-Rd Magazine = $20
Prince50 Bullet Button = $25

So around $895, not including Tax. You can save a couple hundred dollars building it yourself. I think the Cal-Legal Bushmasters (with welded magwell) MSRP for around $1200+

Hope that helps

Also when you go to order your parts, I would stick with the vendors at the top of the CalGuns.net page. Specifically RifleGear.com <--Great Prices/Service

-Joe

Thank you much!!! :) BTW, you really have a nice black rifle. :cool:

Noypi916
07-19-2007, 7:03 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54897

hmm... sounds good! few $$$ less is always good! :) Thanks for that too!!!

shark92651
07-19-2007, 7:10 PM
Here you go. I'm legit =)

Sorry I didn't take pics of it yesterday, but its ugly. It sticks out 3/4 inch, lol. Anyways here you go, enjoy and rest easy. :)

Actually, when fully seated the Bullet Button protrudes 5/16". If yours is out that far you may need to tap it in a little more!

Crazed_SS
07-19-2007, 8:26 PM
wow....didn't he post pictures of himself on his MySpace account, holding assault weapons? I feel bad for the guy, and I back him 100%, but don't think for a damn second that I am doing anything close to that. Its a CALIFORNIA LEGAL RIFLE with a BULLET BUTTON INSTALLED with the MAGAZINE REMOVED. What the **** is the big deal...

BWO was arrested because he posted what "appeared" to be AWs on his site. I believe when his case is over an done with, we'll see that they were legally configured offlist rifles. You're actually doing worse than him IMO, because his site didnt have a pics of open mag-well ARs..

Dont yell at me, I understand all the legalities and everyting with the BB.. From your other post where you cursed of Bweise, I'm guess you're new to this whole OLL thing. I'm just giving you a heads up. You might want to err on the side of caution even if you do have the BB installed.

56Chevy
07-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Don't be an idiot.

To date, this configuration has never been officially "condoned" by the DOJ, or upheld in a court of law. If you read what Bill, Gene and others have written, it's best to err on the side of caution and leave a 10 rd mag in the well during storage and transportation.

Acceptance and awareness of the bullet button has not permeated to all levels of LE. You still run the chance that discovery of what you perceive to be a legally configured non-assault weapon firearm will be perceived to be an illegal assault weapon. Under those circumstances, the rifle can be confiscated and you can be arrested despite your protests that what you have is a legal rifle. The arresting LE will leave it up to the DA and court to be decided and you'll wind up paying the legal bills.

Everyone should take a look at this:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/fsor.pdf

wilit
07-19-2007, 11:02 PM
BWO was arrested because he posted what "appeared" to be AWs on his site. I believe when his case is over an done with, we'll see that they were legally configured offlist rifles. You're actually doing worse than him IMO, because his site didnt have a pics of open mag-well ARs..

This is the exact reason why I brought it up. Had you stated in your original post you used a BB, everything would've been coolio.