PDA

View Full Version : ak compliance parts questions

apbrian112
07-18-2007, 3:52 PM
hey guys, tried searching and didn't quite find what i was looking for. i'm thinking of getting some parts together for a Romanian AK build and want to gather all my parts before sending them off to Mad-ox to get built. Soooo... what's the cheapest (still quality) way to get all of my compliance parts. a total list would be cool. btw. i'm going with a featureless/detach mag build. thanks for any help. :)
-brian-

PanzerAce
07-18-2007, 3:55 PM
AFAIK, the cheapest and most common (heck, maybe even only) major supplier of 922r parts for AKs would be Tapco. there are some high end parts (red star arms I think), but Tapco will be fine.

As for the parts you need, I got US parts for the following:
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Gas Piston
Muzzle brake (these 5 were in a pack together)
and the furniture. (mostly because I had to replace the lower handguard anyway, since you can't have the VFG)

apbrian112
07-18-2007, 4:02 PM
and these pcs will make me legal? instead of the furniture, could i mount a utg handguards, and an ace stock (w/ adapter) and still be legal? thx!

Josh3239
07-18-2007, 4:16 PM
James can take care of all your 922r problems for you when you send it to him to be built.

SunriseF150
07-18-2007, 4:18 PM
Just don't go over 7 foreign parts and your good to go. You can have as many us parts as you want. That doesn't count towards your parts count. You just can't have over 7 foreign parts. If you don't put a part on, ie: grip or muzzle attachment, that doesn't count toward your total.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

For a trigger, I'd go with a Tapco G2 trigger double or single hook, or a Arsenal from http://www.nodakspud.com/

apbrian112
07-18-2007, 4:54 PM
icic... alright guys. thx for the help. i'm just gonna pick up a parts kit off of gunbroker and let james deal with the rest. thx!
-brian-

RudyN
07-18-2007, 5:38 PM
Just don't go over 7 foreign parts and your good to go. You can have as many us parts as you want. That doesn't count towards your parts count. You just can't have over 7 foreign parts. If you don't put a part on, ie: grip or muzzle attachment, that doesn't count toward your total.

I thought is was no more than 10 foreign parts for an AK build per 922r

ghost
07-18-2007, 8:09 PM

I thought is was no more than 10 foreign parts for an AK build per 922r

youre right you can have more that 10 total foreign parts.

M. Sage
07-18-2007, 8:23 PM
AFAIK, the cheapest and most common (heck, maybe even only) major supplier of 922r parts for AKs would be Tapco. there are some high end parts (red star arms I think), but Tapco will be fine.

As for the parts you need, I got US parts for the following:
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Gas Piston
Muzzle brake (these 5 were in a pack together)
and the furniture. (mostly because I had to replace the lower handguard anyway, since you can't have the VFG)

Wow, you went way over what you had to.

As noted in the posts above, it's 10 or less foreign parts (from a list in 922r), and the AK has 16 parts that appear on that list.

If you're going gripless, the PG is one - take it off, and it's the same as replacement; remember, we're subtracting from 16 down to 10, taking parts off works. Get a US-made slant brake, that's another. The trigger group is three (trigger, hammer, disconnect)! So we're already down to 11 parts. Guess what, the receiver is a 922r part. Down to 10, mission accomplished, and pretty cheaply.

This is an excellent little tool for you to use to figure out 922r compliance for the AK:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Note: check the parts that are FOREIGN, un-check compliance parts. The ones I listed are probably the cheapest way to get legal.

PanzerAce
07-18-2007, 8:43 PM
the reason that I did more was that the FCG/GP/MB I got as a package deal for cheaper than if I had just gotten the FCG, and I prefer the synthetic to the OG wood :shrug:

RudyN
07-18-2007, 8:47 PM
As to the lower hand guard what I did is cut off the front pistol grip and sanded it down. Don't like the weird grip in front anyway and I will refinish all of the furniture after I have my build done

oaklander
07-18-2007, 9:54 PM
Stay away from the Century FCG (It comes in a kit with a gas piston and pistol grip). Those are the same parts that Century puts on its WASR10's.

I have that FCG on my Romy, and I had to do some work to it in order to reduce trigger-slap. Also, if you are going with a featureless MMG build - you will *only* need the following parts:

hammer
trigger
sear (disconnector)
muzzle brake
receiver (sometime people forget that the rec. counts as a US part)

Since you aren't using a PG, that's one less foreign part, so your parts count gets down to 5.

Don't get a gas piston, if you can avoid it - they are a pain to install, and there's easier ways to get the required US parts.

Here's my Romy!

http://sixaddiction.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/IMAG0072.JPG

RudyN
07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Oaklander,
That Romy looks very nice. It is just about what mine will look like when I get it done, except only a 10 rd mag. How do you like the MMG?

M. Sage
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
the reason that I did more was that the FCG/GP/MB I got as a package deal for cheaper than if I had just gotten the FCG, and I prefer the synthetic to the OG wood :shrug:

I hear ya about the synthetic. Eventually I might do that, but I can't resist the cheap of a modified thumbhole stock (filled and lengthened), a sawed-off vertical grip and a good coat of Krylon.

I can't wait to get this thing done! Bumpfire at Panoche! :29: