PDA

View Full Version : HK ‘MP5-A5’ vs. ATI ‘GSG-522’ .22LR

skyblue
10-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Both of these look awfully tempting, and are both currently on sale at Big 5. There's a big difference in price, though, with the HK ‘MP5-A5’ listed at $500 and the ATI ‘GSG-522’ at $340. What are the differences between both guns, and do those translate into making the ATI a better value than the HK, or is the HK worth the extra money?

CasperSYTFU
10-28-2012, 1:43 PM
I've held both and ended up with the HK.
It is predominantly made of metal and thus much heavier however feel much more solid.
The sling mounts are more close to the real thing unlike the GSG's rear stock hole.
Over all it is a much more solid gun that is engineered beautifully.
I'm very happy choosing the HK over the GSG

Quiet
10-28-2012, 4:08 PM
I own a 1st gen ATI/GSG GSG-5 and I've shot/handled the H&K/Umarex MP-5.

IMO...

The H&K/Umarex is the better deal.

The accuracy is the same, but the H&K/Umarex disassembles easier which makes it easier to maintain. Even though reliability seems to be the same, the H&K/Umarex feels more durable which would indicate that it would be more reliable in the long run due to less wear/tear on parts.
The ATI/GSG magazines are less expensive than the H&K/Umarex magazines.

GSG produced the GSG-5 first. It appears that they just upgraded the GSG MP5 airsoft so that it could handle/shoot .22LR. Which is one of the reasons why high-end airsoft parts/accessories work on the GSG-5/GSG-522 series, instead of actual H&K MP5 parts/accessories.

After it got popular, H&K filed a patent lawsuit (infringing on the MP5 trademark).

After the H&K v GSG lawsuit, the GSG-5 had to be redesigned so that it no longer looked like a "MP5" and renamed it the GSG-522.

JonJK
10-28-2012, 6:48 PM
HK.

Because it looks and feels more like a real mp5. The iron sights on the GSG are pretty cheap too.

Buy quality buy once

INFAMOUS762X39
10-28-2012, 7:42 PM
I saw both today when I ran into Big 5 for some cleats, I was in a hurry to go paintballing and did not get the chance to hold either.

But just taking a quick glimpse, the HK MP5-SD just simply looks like a better.

shoebox56
10-28-2012, 8:42 PM
Umarex HK MP5 SD & A5 are on sale at Turners till next Thursday. (Assuming you have a Turners near you.) I just put the A5 in jail today.

ky2970
10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Agree with everyone else... The HK is definitely better.

skyblue
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
thanks guys! i totally agree that the HK is better, but is it $160 better? heck, that's a 30% increase over than the cost of the ATI! i could probably pimp out the ATI nicely for $160!

CasperSYTFU
10-30-2012, 1:42 PM
Yes. It is.
You'll be happy you made the right choice too.

Socalmp5
10-30-2012, 1:50 PM
FYI the hk is made by uramex which is also an upgraded airsoft. I've shot 5k+ out of my gsg 522... Save the money for a matching .22 pistol. I'm about to put the 1st gen conversion and an mp5 grip frame.. And that's about all I will do.

CasperSYTFU
10-30-2012, 2:18 PM
Umarex/Walther also manufacture plenty of actual firearms.
Most people were speaking to the much more solid build of the HK in comparison, not just that they are upgraded airsofts.
There is a noticeable difference in build quality.

ky2970
10-30-2012, 2:41 PM
FYI the hk is made by uramex which is also an upgraded airsoft. I've shot 5k+ out of my gsg 522... Save the money for a matching .22 pistol. I'm about to put the 1st gen conversion and an mp5 grip frame.. And that's about all I will do.

Umarex is not the manufacturer; they only import them. It just so happens they import and license airsoft guns too for KWA. The actual firearm is made by Walther and is licensed by H&K.

And yes, it is worth the $160 difference. With the HK, you get a much higher quality build and it is near exact to the design specs of the 9mm MP5.

Quiet
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Umarex is not the manufacturer; they only import them.
Umarex owns Walther

Socalmp5
10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Umarex is not the manufacturer; they only import them. It just so happens they import and license airsoft guns too for KWA. The actual firearm is made by Walther and is licensed by H&K.

And yes, it is worth the $160 difference. With the HK, you get a much higher quality build and it is near exact to the design specs of the 9mm MP5.

There still based off airsoft first. There's nothing wrong with the gsg's if u keep them clean and run decent ammo through.

The first gsg are as close too... There still .22 and ot roller delayed blowback.