PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Possible new handgun owner in near future

Error404
10-28-2012, 1:05 AM
Hello all,

I'm Jason, 23 from Victorville. I've always been fascinated with guns since I was little, always looking at the various gun reading material and fantasizing about owning one some day.

I've been putting the thought of owning a handgun into serious consideration lately, and have settled on the Springfield Armory XD series, not sure of what model or caliber as of yet.

Hope I can learn a lot while I'm here, and hope I join the firearm community here real soon.

nothinghere2c
10-28-2012, 1:11 AM
welcome Jason! glad to see you're taking the first steps :)

Error404
10-28-2012, 1:20 AM
welcome Jason! glad to see you're taking the first steps :)

Thank you :D

zod
10-28-2012, 1:30 AM
Welcome aboard.

sealocan
10-28-2012, 2:57 AM
we're glad to have you here Jason. The XD Series is a great choice on your first gun home defense ,competition, going to the range the XD works for that. the 9 MM is the most inexpensive caliber to shoot but pick what you want.

fighterpilot562
10-28-2012, 2:58 AM
Welcome

1000stars
10-28-2012, 3:52 AM
Welcome Jason.

MIAMIbaseballer
10-28-2012, 4:20 AM
Welcome aboard

bsg
10-28-2012, 5:43 AM
welcome to the forum.

JoeJinKY
10-28-2012, 6:08 AM
Welcome! That is a decent choice for a first handgun. I suggest the .40, only because you would never go into a gun battle without at least a .40 in your hand!

Normally when a young man goes to buy his first handgun, he brings a friend or two along. Now he is egged on by his friends to get "a REAL man's gun." Instead of buying something sensible, he goes home with a Desert Eagle or some monster firearm that is far beyond his current capabilities. Buy the guy YOU want, because when you are defending your home from an intruder, your well-meaning friends will not be there to fire the gun THEY chose.

More important than the gun you purchase, will be your efforts to develop the skills to place the round where you want it. Don't let your testosterone force you into something beyond your skill level. If you are deadly accurate with a .22, but you can't hit the side of a barn with a .45, then which gun should you be holding when your life in one the line?

THINK, ask a lot of questions, and there is one more thing you should do BEFORE you buy a gun. Lots of gun ranges RENT pistols that you can try out for only a few dollars plus their ammo. You should RENT a few different handguns and try them out, so you can KNOW which gun feels the best in YOUR hand, and which gun gives you the most confidence.

Good luck in your venture into the world of gun ownership, and be sure to join the NRA. no organization is doing more to protect your 2nd Amendment RIGHT, despite what the naysayers will rant on about. Even General Patton knew that you can't win every battle on your way to winning the WAR.

chozenfew805
10-28-2012, 6:15 AM
Welcome Aboard!:hurray:

den888
10-28-2012, 8:46 AM
Welcome!

socalpistolero
10-28-2012, 11:53 AM
welcome.

kcjr1125
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome aboard! Now go get that gun ;)

BajaJames83
10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Welcome.

Wicked Pete
10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Welcome. Hope you find the information you need on this great forum.

Error404
10-28-2012, 1:17 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

we're glad to have you here Jason. The XD Series is a great choice on your first gun home defense ,competition, going to the range the XD works for that. the 9 MM is the most inexpensive caliber to shoot but pick what you want.
I'll be using the XD for range shooting and learning on. I've shot the XD 45ACP, put about 100 rounds and it just felt amazing, it felt natural in my hand, fired a few more handguns but I haven't touched anything that felt as good in my hand as the XD.

Welcome! That is a decent choice for a first handgun. I suggest the .40, only because you would never go into a gun battle without at least a .40 in your hand!
I'm actually thinking the 45ACP, I've fired it before and loved it. I've fired 9mm and .40 before, but 45ACP was something I was able to control better and have better groupings.

Normally when a young man goes to buy his first handgun, he brings a friend or two along. Now he is egged on by his friends to get "a REAL man's gun." Instead of buying something sensible, he goes home with a Desert Eagle or some monster firearm that is far beyond his current capabilities. Buy the guy YOU want, because when you are defending your home from an intruder, your well-meaning friends will not be there to fire the gun THEY chose.
I tend not to bring 'friends' when it comes to important purchases, they aren't the ones putting down the money, and most of them only own airsoft or paintball.

I've always been a believer any weapon is a real mans weapon, all are dangerous and deadly, it's just a matter of how you use it.

More important than the gun you purchase, will be your efforts to develop the skills to place the round where you want it. Don't let your testosterone force you into something beyond your skill level. If you are deadly accurate with a .22, but you can't hit the side of a barn with a .45, then which gun should you be holding when your life in one the line?
Absolutely, completely agree. It's a pet peeve of mine of people who purchase weapons they can't shoot because they didn't want something that some might consider a joke.

THINK, ask a lot of questions, and there is one more thing you should do BEFORE you buy a gun. Lots of gun ranges RENT pistols that you can try out for only a few dollars plus their ammo. You should RENT a few different handguns and try them out, so you can KNOW which gun feels the best in YOUR hand, and which gun gives you the most confidence.
Absolutely, I'll also be getting training for proper techniques, no point in having a weapon if you can't use it effectively.

Good luck in your venture into the world of gun ownership, and be sure to join the NRA. no organization is doing more to protect your 2nd Amendment RIGHT, despite what the naysayers will rant on about. Even General Patton knew that you can't win every battle on your way to winning the WAR.
Thank you, see you around!

Rider1k
10-28-2012, 1:34 PM
Welcome to Calguns. There are alot of friendly knowledgeable folks here and plenty of entertainment. The site becomes a little addicting so don't be surprised when you spend a whole Saturday reading, laughing and posting.

BlackTydeTactical
10-28-2012, 2:01 PM
Welcome aboard!

xXx Sir Sik xXx
10-28-2012, 2:54 PM
Welcome

.22guy
10-28-2012, 5:04 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

jonc
10-28-2012, 9:22 PM
welcome!!!