View Full Version : Ruger 10/22: Lead stuck in barrel

10-27-2012, 9:02 PM
Relative NB to this gun; need your help so I don't get tricked into buying a new barrel if I don't need to (which I assume I don't).

Ruger 1022, synthetic stock, stainless steel barrel

1 year old

About 1000 rounds through it

A few fte's last time I was out using super old bulk ammo

No other issues before today

Using Remington 22lr thunderbolt, 40gr, lead round nose, box of 500

Towards the end of the day, after 300 rounds or so, accuracy seemed off

At home, while trying to clean, could not get cleaning rod all the way down barrel (barrel had been removed). Could not get bore snake down either.

Using more force, after bending one rod, finally got rod through, and out popped a half inch long chunk of lead that had apparently been stuck to barrel.

Cleaned as much as possible but there is still a good amount of lead residue where chunk was.

Any idea on cause, remedy, how to avoid, etc?

10-27-2012, 9:05 PM
One follow on fact, I field stripped gun last night for first time, not including barrel removal, but have no reason to believe I reassembled improperly

Mossy Man
10-27-2012, 9:28 PM
Those remington thunderbolts did the same rhing to my mk iii

Used a lot of hoppes and a bore brush.

Let it set for a while

Mossy Man
10-27-2012, 9:29 PM
Remedy is never use remington ammo

10-27-2012, 9:30 PM
Is it buildup, or from one bullet fragmenting?

10-27-2012, 9:38 PM
it's probably from cheap ammo build up, not fragment. We often get lazy and think that running a bore snake is proper maintenance. It might be an accumulation of lead not anything you assembled wrong. Don't buy a barrel! Invest in a good cleaning kit/ rod kit. Elbow grease is almost always the solution.

10-28-2012, 9:33 AM
Using Remington 22lr thunderbolt, 40gr, lead round nose, box of 500

^^That's your problem!

Clean real well, run an oily patch down the tube and shoot. Barrel is fine. Did you shoot the whole 500 rounds? At a high rate of fire?

10-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, agreed. Remington standard would work, cycle my Mark 2 and very dirty in my rifle. Its probably fine in a revolver shooting cans at 10 feet.

10-28-2012, 2:33 PM
Shot about 300. With few breaks.

Bad idea?

10-28-2012, 2:38 PM
leadaway cloth....:gura:

10-28-2012, 3:34 PM
Second the leadaway cloth, just don't touch blueing with, it will remove blueing.
See if you can find a lead remover kit. Basically some round screens made of brass with
an attaching device to push down the bore. Probably find some screens at a smoke shop or a harware store, use a jag, lube bore abit push jag through.
If not use some new bore brushes and like stated before elbow grease. Keep working the brush and change as necessary.
Do not use any kind of stainless steel brush brass only.
Worked for me. Just take it slow not to mess up the bore.

10-30-2012, 2:07 AM
remy boolits are the WORST ammo u can feed ur gun with. I swear to the gun gods that i will never ever feed it to my 22's ever again Unless it was shtf and i had no choice left. To this day i still dont understand how they could still be making those ammo and it isnt cheap either.

10-30-2012, 3:37 AM
If you are going to shoot lead, mix in some copper washed to help clean some of the lead out. I have shot hundreds of these and at the end of almost every mag I send a few copper-washed though her, and never had this problem, even post thunderbolts. I send some plated through the 9mm barrel after some lead rounds too.

At the end of the day, I usually send like 2-3 mags of copper-washed(/brass-plated/washed) downrange and cleanup has always been a breeze.

11-02-2012, 8:43 AM
Lead fouling can happen. It could be a result of many different things....not enough lube on the bullet, too soft a lead, or a rough barrel finish (polygonal rifling gets a bad rap with lead).... Best way to avoid really bad fouling is to monitor the condition of the barrel every now and then and if you see a buildup is starting.....clean it out before it gets as bad as the OP's got and you can keep firing the stuff then as long as you stay on top of it. If you find it's only doing it with a certain brand of ammo you can avoid that brand for that particular firearm.

Kroil will help to loosen the lead up. Squirt a bit of that in the barrel and let it sit for some time before brushing it out.

11-02-2012, 8:58 AM
Another method for lead removal. Put one of those foam earplugs in the muzzle end of the barrel. Fill barrel with Hoppes #9. Let set for 24 hrs, drain the Hoppes. This is best done with the barrel removed or if not possible remove the action and barrel from the stock. If barrel can be removed use a cleaning rod with a nylon brush from the action end of the barrel and begin stroking that barrel. Don't let the rod extend beyond the muzze to prevent damage to the crown. 50-100 strokes is not too many.

If you must clean from the muzzle end be very, very careful. Best to use a plastic coated rod if you clean that way. One nick in the crown will cause real accuracy problems.

After cleaning with the brush and rod start running dry patches thru the barrel and look on the patch for any lead. If its still removing lead you may have to do the brush process again. Keep running new patches until they come out clean. When finished run a wet patch of RemOil down the barrel.

I had this happen on a revolver and it took around 2 hours to get the barrel and cylinder clean.