PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Man! Lytle Creek Says NO To steel Ammo

Citadelgrad87
07-17-2007, 4:43 PM
ETA--Copied from Lytle Creek Website

"Welcome to the Lytle Creek Range ... we are a professionally managed shooting range located in the San Bernardino National Forest, north of the 15 freeway, near the Cajon Pass. We strive to provide your family with a safe, legal and fun place to shoot.

Do to fire season we are only 200 yards at this time.
No steel core or tracer ammo allowed

Contact us at 1-951-7-TARGET (1-951-782-7438)"

Typo notwithstanding, there is apparently no steel/ferrous ammo at Lytle Creek.

One more time around, anywhere to shoot Greek Milsurp out of my refinished Garand, OR

Anywhere I can get milsurp Garand ammo that doesn't attract a magnet?

simonov
07-17-2007, 4:57 PM
One more time around, anywhere to shoot Greek Milsurp out of my refinished Garand,

I head for the desert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfo2F13qs94

Anywhere I can get milsurp Garand ammo that doesn't attract a magnet?

I think I can declare with confidence, no. I've been looking for years, as my stock of '66 Lake City non-ferrous ball is drying up. That's one reason I spend a lot more time in the desert than I used to.

jumbopanda
07-17-2007, 5:14 PM
I demand that you tell me where that secret spot is!

Kiowa782
07-17-2007, 5:20 PM
I just went on Sunday, The management stated that there is no steel core ammo alowed, however Steel jacketed is perfectly fine. By the way they did not check anyones ammo...

davedog665
07-17-2007, 5:27 PM
can't blame lytle creek last time i was up there there was a pretty good fire. And they did check everyones ammo after the fire started. same thing happened at burro canyon not to long ago save your ferrous ammo for atleast after the fire season its a real bummer to dry all the way out to shoot and be shut down after the fire.

check this link for some cool pics i took of the fire
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=62765&highlight=burro&page=4

Citadelgrad87
07-17-2007, 5:35 PM
can't blame lytle creek last time i was up there there was a pretty good fire. And they did check everyones ammo after the fire started. same thing happened at burro canyon not to long ago save your ferrous ammo for atleast after the fire season its a real bummer to dry all the way out to shoot and be shut down after the fire.

check this link for some cool pics i took of the fire
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=62765&highlight=burro&page=4

Total agreement here. I'm looking for some place that will let me, not some place where I can sneak it in.

It's just that I had heard that they were OK with it, and the website says they are not.

ocabj
07-17-2007, 7:42 PM
Inland Fish and Game does not have ammo restrictions.

shark92651
07-17-2007, 7:46 PM
Same at Burro Canyon. I went shooting this past Saturday and they were checking everyone's ammo.

50 Shooter
07-17-2007, 7:51 PM
I don't know why everyone is so surprised, it has been in their rules for years. Guess I was the only one that read them? :confused:

I think they just went with the don't ask don't tell until they had that little fire.

SamIAm
07-17-2007, 7:55 PM
It's a tinderbox out there. Everyone's just being careful. Can't blame 'em.

Iknownot
07-17-2007, 8:01 PM
Angeles and A place to shoot (saugus) seem to let people with Garands slide.

I've seen them magnet check people with mosin's shooting wolf or milsurp ammo, but I've never seen anyone with a garand get checked.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it happen yet.

simonov
07-17-2007, 8:10 PM

I've seen them magnet check people with mosin's shooting wolf or milsurp ammo, but I've never seen anyone with a garand get checked.

It has happened to me, every time I've shot there. And I'm white with very short hair.

Citadelgrad87
07-17-2007, 8:23 PM
I don't know why everyone is so surprised, it has been in their rules for years. Guess I was the only one that read them? :confused:

I think they just went with the don't ask don't tell until they had that little fire.

I just got a Garand, never have even owned any steel ammo, well, except AP type stuff that I knew was steel, before about 15 days ago. The Garand's not even back together, and I have tons of ammo I can't shoot, and no ammo I can shoot.

Not interested in sneaking anyhting past anybody, I just want to shoot my garand.

Iknownot
07-17-2007, 9:50 PM
It has happened to me, every time I've shot there. And I'm white with very short hair.

At both ranges? A place to shoot is pretty mellow. I've been there on week days where I was the only one at the long distance rifle range.

The RO didn't even bother sticking around.

Spiggy
07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
and this is a surprise to you?

I dont shoot the steel unless there was rain a day before; plus, you've seen the drive to Lytle Creek right? the whole place is E-Z-Lite fuel!

whlgun
07-18-2007, 12:08 AM

I'd go to either range with a garand and greek or lake city milsurp and not worry about it.

This is bad advice and if there is a fire the fire department might hold anybody with steal ammo liable. Last time that happened the guy had to pay 250,000 the cost of putting the fire out.

It doesnt matter what gun you shoot that causes fire its the ammo so your just lucky you havent been checked

Iknownot
07-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Fair enough, I retract my statement then.

Although, I would like to say if the rule is "no steel core ammo or tracers" then you can't be violating the rule using M2 ball milsurp garand ammo, because it has a lead core.

simonov
07-18-2007, 6:56 AM
At both ranges? A place to shoot is pretty mellow.

No, just Angeles. I've never been to a Place to Shoot.

Edit: and all that matters is whether the bullet draws a magnet. That's how the ammunition is checked and so you better keep a magnet where you store your ammunition so you can check it before you pack up your shooting trip. I have some Korean M2 ball in bandoleers and clips; some draws a magnet, some doesn't. I shoot it in the desert.

drclark
07-18-2007, 7:15 AM
We should probably consider ourselves lucky that steel core/jacketed ammo is not banned outright due to the fire danger it presents. I would hope those shooting it in the desert are extremely careful this year.

drc

JPN6336
07-18-2007, 8:24 AM
As a new RO at Lytle Creek, I can tell you that we don't check with a magnet because it attracts steel jacketed ammo, including the known lead core we sell at the range house. We look for painted tips that usually indicate steel core penetrators. If you have ammo with a painted tip that you believe doesn't have a steel core, we will (with your permission) cut one bullet open to check the core.

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2007, 9:16 AM
As a new RO at Lytle Creek, I can tell you that we don't check with a magnet because it attracts steel jacketed ammo, including the known lead core we sell at the range house. We look for painted tips that usually indicate steel core penetrators. If you have ammo with a painted tip that you believe doesn't have a steel core, we will (with your permission) cut one bullet open to check the core.

So, according to yuor understanding of what is meritted, would Greek milsurp ball ammo be permitted, or forbidden, at Lytle?

Thanks for weighing in.

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2007, 9:18 AM
and this is a surprise to you?

I dont shoot the steel unless there was rain a day before; plus, you've seen the drive to Lytle Creek right? the whole place is E-Z-Lite fuel!

No, as above, I don't claim surprise, only frustration. I recently bought a Garand, and all I can find ammo wise appears to be forbidden.

RAMCHARGER
07-18-2007, 9:42 AM
I head for the desert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfo2F13qs94

I think I can declare with confidence, no. I've been looking for years, as my stock of '66 Lake City non-ferrous ball is drying up. That's one reason I spend a lot more time in the desert than I used to.

where did you get the camo stock for the SKS?

simonov
07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
where did you get the camo stock for the SKS?

It's a Butler Creek stock I painted along with the rest of the rifle:

http://www.guntards.net/images/36.jpg

Those Butler Creek stocks are the shiznit for SKSes. Good quality and light weight, really improves the feel of the rifle.

JPN6336
07-20-2007, 6:26 PM
So, according to yuor understanding of what is meritted, would Greek milsurp ball ammo be permitted, or forbidden, at Lytle?

Thanks for weighing in.

If it is steel cored it is not permitted. If it simply has a steel jacket it is allowed. I haven't seen a range officer using a magnet. If there is any doubt as to whether it is steel cored or not, you can sacrifice one round and we will cut a bullet and check the core. As for the Greek milsurp, I doubt it is steel cored and you should be fine.