PDA

View Full Version : M1-A Barrels - Extended Length (Picture)

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 2:14 PM
Firewall99, why you bringing up 3+ year old threads?

glockman19
07-17-2007, 2:19 PM
The longer barrel rifles will be the Standard, loaded & NM Full length M1A's. The shorter barrels you speak of are on the SOCOM II/16 & Scout rifles.

chickenfried
07-17-2007, 2:19 PM
The barrel in your first pic is shorter than a standard m14/m1a barrel.

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 2:22 PM
Cool, second question...

If I wanted to build an M1 with all the goodies I want (JAE-100 Stock, etc) Is it absolutely necessary to purchase a M1 in stock form or can I order the gun piece by piece, much like an AR? If so, which part on the M1 must be DROS'd?

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 2:26 PM
much better

http://www.jae100.com/assets/images/autogen/a_JAE-100_Swat_Black.jpg

chickenfried
07-17-2007, 2:29 PM
It would be easier just to purchase a complete rifle, I haven't priced complete parts kits lately but I believe they go for ~$1100. Receiver ~$400. Plus the cost for a smith to put together the rifle. That's some dough.

Cool, second question...

If I wanted to build an M1 with all the goodies I want (JAE-100 Stock, etc) Is it absolutely necessary to purchase a M1 in stock form or can I order the gun piece by piece, much like an AR? If so, which part on the M1 must be DROS'd?

Japsican
07-17-2007, 2:30 PM
It would be way easier and cheaper to just buy a used M1A and swap out the stock to the JAE-100...A used Polytech M14/M1A would be even cheaper...

rksimple
07-17-2007, 2:31 PM
Cool, second question...

Sure you can order it piece by piece, but it's MUCH harder to put together than an AR. Headspacing especially can be fun. Just get a standard and ditch the stock for one you want.

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 2:31 PM
Well, if I ever get over the AR sickness, the M-1A will be up next

30Cal
07-17-2007, 2:36 PM
The M1 is the Garand --30-06 clip fed gasgun.
The receiver looks similar to the M1A/M14 rifles.

You can buy piece parts but it'll be spendy. You'll want to at least have the barrel installed and headspaced to a bolt; the rest you can do yourself. It'd probably be cheaper to buy a complete M1A, then modify it to suit your tastes.

Ty

DJDace
07-17-2007, 2:50 PM
At some point I am going to buy a JAE-100 in the color of my choice and hold onto it till I move back to Canada. Once I am back home, I will buy a Norinco M14 from Marstar for $400 Canadian and put the JAE-100 onto that rifle. All told I will get a rifle that would cost me $2000+ for about $1100.

Oh one more piece of advice, make sure not to purchase a glass bedded M1A if you are going to put it in a JAE-100, it will be a waste. Just get a Standard or Loaded model for that.

Evan's Gun World in OC quoted me a price tag of around $2300 for a Standard Model M1A in a JAE-100. Dunno if that price will still be valid.

tonb
07-17-2007, 2:54 PM
I like the looks of the JAE-100 and I like the grip, however I am curious as to whether or not you can really shoot it offhand. To me it looks like you turn the rifle into a bench only gun when you put that stock on it. I could be totally wrong though, I've only handled one once in a shop. It was pretty slick and not as heavy as I thought, but it didn't feel like something I'd want to carry around or fire without a rest. IMHO

mltrading
07-17-2007, 2:55 PM
It would cost you less if you buy a completed rifle instead of collecting parts piece by piece.

The M14-style rifles are not plug-n-play like AR15 rifles. The barreling and headspacing could be interesting. If you have the guts, just enjoy it!

rksimple
07-17-2007, 3:00 PM
The barreling and headspacing could be interesting. If you have the guts, just enjoy it!

Let alone all the tools necessary to accomplish that!

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 3:10 PM
What are the differences in the Standard and Loaded models?

DJDace
07-17-2007, 3:11 PM
What are the differences in the Standard and Loaded models?

Loaded has National Match barrel, sights and some trigger work I think.

BlackReef
07-17-2007, 3:15 PM
I just seen the Standard w/ Black Synthetic stock MSRPs for around $1500. How cheap have you seen these rifles go for?

akjunkie
07-17-2007, 3:20 PM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=rifles

aplinker
07-17-2007, 8:16 PM
I just seen the Standard w/ Black Synthetic stock MSRPs for around $1500. How cheap have you seen these rifles go for?

Are you referring to what Springfield calls "Standard" or the Socom 16 you put up previously? I've seen standard black stocked M1A's for <$1200, NIB. I've seen loaded versions for <$1350. Add ~$700 for the JAE.

I really like Sage's EBR, too. You should look at that.

Try Fulton Arms for more parts and M14 info.

Scouter
07-17-2007, 8:20 PM
I just man handled one today and I have to say - I'TS FUKKING HEAVY! Had to be 20+lbs, super sweet gun though, and if you do bench shooting it would be PERFECT, but it's not for the field, tha's for sure.

I didn't get it because of the weight, will hold off for now.

jkasandiego
07-18-2007, 7:44 AM
I just man handled one today and I have to say - I'TS FUKKING HEAVY! Had to be 20+lbs, super sweet gun though, and if you do bench shooting it would be PERFECT, but it's not for the field, tha's for sure.

I didn't get it because of the weight, will hold off for now.

I just weighed my M1A, mag attached = 10lbs.:)

mike452
07-18-2007, 3:49 PM
You said M1, but your pictures are of the M1A or M14. JAE-100 stocks are for M1A/M14 only and they are heavy. You will have to remove the light and put a bipod there. I think it will end up weighting 15+ lbs with the JAE-100. It will reach 20 lbs with a nice scope.

Astig Boy
07-18-2007, 4:37 PM
FYI
The name "M1" is reserved for M1 Garands. No one refers to M14s or M1As as "M1"s. If you say M1, everyone will think you are referring to Garands.

The name "M1A" is trademarked by Springfield Amory Inc. Much like Colt trademarked the name "M4". Only Springfield rifles are referred to as M1A. So when you say M1A, everyone will assume you mean Springfield rifles ONLY. If you ask a person with a LRB M14 if that is a M1A, he will tell you, "No, it is a M14". But you can still call a M1A a M14, but you can not call the other brands(aside from SAI) M1As. And just so you know, there are several companys who have rifles listed as M14s...LRB, Fulton Armory, Fed-Ord, Armscorps, Enterprise, Smith Ent, are a few that come to mind.

Sniper3142
07-18-2007, 6:55 PM
The JAE-100 stock is heavier than a standard wood stock.

It's actually lighter than the SAGE or TROY stocks and about the same weight has the McMillan M3A.

For a Long Range rifle, it's about perfect.

And yes... you can shoot it offhand.

It basically does for the M1A what the AICS does for the Remington 700. Makes the rifle sturdier, more flexible, and more accurate.

:)

But it's not for the weak.

Scouter
07-18-2007, 7:06 PM
You have to use a scope as well, can't use irons with the JAE stock.
That's the main reason I decided to go with a AR 308 build, still have backup irons if the scope goes down.

Sniper3142
07-18-2007, 9:17 PM
You have to use a scope as well, can't use irons with the JAE stock.
That's the main reason I decided to go with a AR 308 build, still have backup irons if the scope goes down.

Actually you CAN use iron sights with the JAE-100 stock. You just remove the rear cheek rest and it is low enough.

Firewall99
09-17-2010, 8:46 AM
Some people may be able to use iron sights with their JAE stock with the cheek rest removed.

I could not. The rise is then to low for my cheek bone. Sure you could make it work with enough time to strap on a cheek pad or something, if you have time before the incoming finds you.

For a $1000 stock, it's pretty lame not having an "adjustable" cheek rise that's not fully adjustable.

I tried to bring this to the attention of their engineering department, but they were too busy to deal with it. Lisa knows, though.

Perhaps if more people complained about it, say during the pre-purchase investigation?

The cheek rest needs to be modified to let it go lower by about half an inch.