PDA

View Full Version : AUG A3 off-list?

thekwyjibo
07-16-2007, 7:17 PM
I know that the AUG is banned by name but, I am wondering if the A3 variant would be included by default given the situation with AR15 variants being acceptable?

Couldn't find anything specific in my searches, found some people mentioning things such as the USR being OK, but no one giving any info on the other AUG variants and their legality.

Any information on this?

VAHEVAHE
07-16-2007, 7:22 PM
I know that the AUG is banned by name but, I am wondering if the A3 variant would be included by default given the situation with AR15 variants being acceptable?

Couldn't find anything specific in my searches, found some people mentioning things such as the USR being OK, but no one giving any info on the other AUG variants and their legality.

Any information on this?

i am really interested on how to get a ca legal STyler Aug or a clone

gunrun45
07-16-2007, 8:49 PM
You could do it if you filled in the thumb hole, removed the front pistol grip and made sure the OAL was OK.

Josh3239
07-16-2007, 9:12 PM
That is the USR, not the AUG. The closest thing you'll ever get to an AUG in the PRK is getting a USR and either filling in the thumb hole and removing the forward pistol grip or finding a way to lock the mag.

Shane916
07-16-2007, 11:13 PM

How about a Steyr one instead :)

Pvt. Cowboy
07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
That is the USR, not the AUG. The closest thing you'll ever get to an AUG in the PRK is getting a USR and either filling in the thumb hole and removing the forward pistol grip or finding a way to lock the mag.

It would be a tenacious experiment to manually load a fixed AUG magazine through the ejection port. Very tenacious indeed.

Josh3239
07-16-2007, 11:44 PM
That is the only legal alternative to featureless. Besides, I was thinking more along the lines of a lever type magazine or a bullet button type mag lock.

No doubt though that loading a fixed mag through the ejection port would be a pain.

Lateralus
07-17-2007, 12:49 AM
doesnt the aug have a push button mag release like the AR? if so, maybe a BB can be made....

gunrun45
07-17-2007, 1:20 AM
Push button- yes.
You could get the AR mag conversion lower (or order one that takes AR mags) and use a bullet button tool type afair.

I can't remember who is making these now in the US...some firm in the midwest I think... I know you can get the converison lower to take AR mags from CDNN.

I don't know enough about the AUG type platform to know if the AR mag conversion lower uses the same mag release or not. I never really cared that much for the real AUG's in the first place.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-17-2007, 2:30 AM
doesnt the aug have a push button mag release like the AR? if so, maybe a BB can be made....

The way I'd do it (... and I wouldn't do it, but if I did do it) would be to simply drill a hole straight through the mag release button sideways and pin it in place after a magazine is inserted. The button pushes upwards into the plastic stock to release the magazine, and preventing this function would keep the magazine fixed.

jumbopanda
07-17-2007, 3:02 AM
http://www.copesdist.com/steyraug.htm

AR-15 mag lower.

thekwyjibo
07-17-2007, 6:59 AM
All of this I understand (SB-23 issues, features etc.). What I am trying to confirm or deny relates to the fact that the AUG is defined by name under the AW guide (see links below). It shows a picture of an A1 AUG but describes the AUG rather generically. Would this include the AUG A3. I am thinking from the perspective of the Kasler list situation that allows Off List lowers due to the fact that some manufacturers have built different model names but the firearm is essentially identical.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf
Section 32
12276(a)(15)

gunrun45
07-17-2007, 7:02 AM
This weapon is defined by make and model bust like any AR or AK weapon.
Since they are made here in the US (kinda Saiga like issue I think with the made in Russia ones being baned) and they have a different model designation you should be OK. More folks will chime in that have better info though I'm sure.

Hunter
07-17-2007, 7:32 AM

These are legal in CA if you make them SB23 compliant.

http://www.microtechknives.com/images/stories/msar/large/STG-556-1-for-web.jpg

http://www.microtechknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=58

Pvt. Cowboy
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
All of this I understand (SB-23 issues, features etc.). What I am trying to confirm or deny relates to the fact that the AUG is defined by name under the AW guide (see links below). It shows a picture of an A1 AUG but describes the AUG rather generically. Would this include the AUG A3. I am thinking from the perspective of the Kasler list situation that allows Off List lowers due to the fact that some manufacturers have built different model names but the firearm is essentially identical.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf
Section 32
12276(a)(15)

Rotten advice follows:

There are existing Steyr AUG A2 clone receivers made by ADI that are marked 'Austeyr' that may work here. ATF regards these as replacement receivers that can't be built up into new assault weapons, however. Last I saw, people who had them wanted $1400 for them, stripped. Good luck finding one of them, making it Federally and CA compliant, and finding parts in general to build them with.

Also, if you're stumbling over the cost of a stripped receiver for $1400 and a grim outlook on finding parts for it, I can tell you that you're not going to like the cost and availability of the main components like the carrier, bolt, and barrels. By the time you're done, you'll have a $6000 AUG clone that has a goofy thumbhole delete hackjob and must be loaded somehow to satisfy Iggy.

Small parts kits that provided replacements for the seven or so high wear/breakage parts used to cost $475 when you could find one. Pete, the main AUG parts supplier from PJS is now involved with the MSAR 556 and doesn't trade AUG parts anymore.

Slightly better advice follows:

Last best hope is to see if Microtech will furnish you with a CA compliant MSAR 556. I wouldn't particularly count on it though.

I think that, as a realist, your opportunity to acquire a CA-legal AUG ended 8 years ago at the most recent when the USRs were last available before the 2000 registration period.

6172crew
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Th Aussies have a offlist AUG, the Sarco guys had receivers awhile back.

Josh3239
07-17-2007, 3:24 PM
My suggestion, if you want a Steyr Aug leave California. Even assuming you can Cali legalize it, IMO it would be a giant waste of money.

monkey
07-17-2007, 4:48 PM
Since the Steyr AUG is banned by make and model under Roberti-Roos, anything that says "AUG" will be a proprietary Steyr product and anything that says "Steyr AUG" is banned, A3 or otherwise.

There was an interesting legal loophole with the AUG, but has never been tested in the courts. Roberti-Roos specifically lists "Steyr AUG" however the Steyr AUG is the select-fire version, not the civilian version which is designated and marked "AUG-SA". It would be a good argument to suggest that the AUG-SA is not banned by name, but I don't think there will be any volunteers.

The Microtech version of the AUG (whatever it's called) would be okay in a feature-compliant version.

thekwyjibo
07-17-2007, 8:59 PM
It was worth a try.

Thanks everyone, for all of the information.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-18-2007, 7:17 PM
Since the Steyr AUG is banned by make and model under Roberti-Roos, anything that says "AUG" will be a proprietary Steyr product and anything that says "Steyr AUG" is banned, A3 or otherwise.

There was an interesting legal loophole with the AUG, but has never been tested in the courts. Roberti-Roos specifically lists "Steyr AUG" however the Steyr AUG is the select-fire version, not the civilian version which is designated and marked "AUG-SA". It would be a good argument to suggest that the AUG-SA is not banned by name, but I don't think there will be any volunteers.

It's probably moot by now, but one point to note here is that nowhere on a Steyr AUG-SA rifle is there the designation or inscription 'Steyr AUG-SA' or 'Steyr AUG'.

There is the lettering 'AUG-SA' or 'USR' shown in raised plastic lettering in a tiny relief window on the right rear side of the stock at the sling swivel pin location that holds the buttplate and trigger housing group in place, but I believe that can be legally erased since the ATF doesn't regard raised plastic lettering as a satisfactory manufacturer and model identifier. The stock is not the serialized component on an AUG-style rifle, and switching it from one receiver to another doesn't change the model type of the host receiver.

These rifles will show 'AUG' or 'USR' followed by the serial numbers on the actual aluminum receiver, starting with '900' for a first generation AUG and '911' (and '912', I think) for later USRs. The Austeyr 'OLL' receivers have the serial, manufacturer, and model engraved on the underside rear of the receiver where the bolt carrier guide rod locators are.

The USRs ("AUG-A2") imported in late 1998-1999 are the ones to get. They're a good deal improved over the earlier AUG-SAs ("AUG-A1")of the late '80s. There's about 2500 of them floating around the USA.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-18-2007, 7:21 PM
One last thing.

The proper way to pronounce 'Steyr AUG' is to say 'Schtier Ay-Yoo-Gee' with a fake Austrian accent.

Saying 'Sty-er OG' is totally unacceptable in the presence of an AUG.

Just saying 'Ay-Yoo-Gee' is fine.