PDA

View Full Version : Savage Scout

ronyama
07-16-2007, 5:15 PM
Has anyone seen or bought the new Scout with accu-trigger. I'm looking to buy one in 308.

proraptor
07-16-2007, 5:39 PM
Ive never heard of it....Is it a new model for 2007?

Prc329
07-16-2007, 6:05 PM
Looks interesting. I read about it in a mag recently.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=510&Category_Code=FIREARMS+R+BAR+SA

Bishop
07-16-2007, 6:39 PM
http://www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm

thomye
07-16-2007, 6:39 PM
why do they call it a "Scout"?

is it cuz of the scope having to be mounted up in front of the action? I noticed that the Styer scout has this in common. Sorry for the ignorance, i'm sort of new to the variaitons of rifles out there.

eviioiive
07-16-2007, 6:52 PM
been out for awhile.... i remember seeing one approximately 3 years ago at reddings...

3006mv
11-16-2007, 6:11 PM
I got one at gilbertsguns.com I get to pick it up the Monday after Thanksgiving, the 2007 Savage Catalog has some mistakes in it: it comes with the BSquare base and a simple nylon loop sling. It has the regular/smaller bolt handle, it does NOT come w/ the H-S Precision stock, just a plain checkered rather light black synthetic stock with two aluminum pillars (not stout/sturdy like the H-S), comes with a Williams rear aperture sight but for some reason mine didn't have a screw in peep, the body is threaded for one though, no matter I have an extra one lying around, the front sight is a brass bead that is covered in overspray parkerizing on a crude ramp with no sight cover/hood; it only has the 2 sling studs, its bolt is bright chrome polished, not parkerized like the original version, and of course it has the Accu-Trigger now, oh and it has a 20"bbl in blue, also not parkerized. Oh and comes with a CA approved lock so you don't have to fill out the safe affidavit. I will post pix after I get it. The scope options are Burris, Leupold, Leatherwood for rifle scout/IER/scopes and then there are the EER pistols scopes out there (parallax set at 50 yds), one scope I read reviews on is the NCStar EER scope 2-7x32 but don't know how well that one would hold up to multiples strings of .308 Win, maybe not too well but I won't judge til /if I try one. The rifle looks good, the action is smooth, the trigger feels good, the magazine fit seems good, not tight. I cannot tell how balanced it is w/o the scope but it points naturally and transitions to the eye well, w/ just the peep sights, it is easy to work the bolt with it shouldered it must be a 13.5" trigger reach b/c that is what I am used to and it fits me well anyway. The buttpad is rubber and is pretty thin though. It probably weighs 6.5 lbs unloaded w/o scope setup but seems lighter to me. the bbl twist I think it 1:10 so would be good for heavier bullets (150-155 & up), I am reloading a few lighter bullets (125 and 130gr) I will see how those work soon. But I haven't gotten to shoot it yet of course...