PDA

View Full Version : Wolf 223 ammo

VAHEVAHE
07-16-2007, 10:21 AM
What are your opinions on wolf 223 ammo for an ar-15?

Technical Ted
07-16-2007, 10:23 AM
In mine? Never.

In yours? Go for it.

proraptor
07-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I wont use it just cause CMMG will void your warranty if they find out you used it...

Shane916
07-16-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63053

RAMCHARGER
07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
It works fine in my builds. In fact thats all I use now. Just clean it afterwards.

Anyways buy just a few boxes for a "fuction test" and test it afer you shot up all your oher ammo. So you know how it will work AFTER the rifle is all dirty and hot. Then if it works fine then buy cases of it :)

draconianruler
07-16-2007, 10:30 AM
i've used it and it worked fine in my rra upper. My buddy kept having failure to eject problems with his. It would tear the rim off the steal casing trying to eject. Kept happening every 50rds or so.

Jicko
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM

:xeno:

Satex
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't know why people are so paranoid about Wolf ammo vs others. Myself, and others have been shooting lots of it in any common caliber - no issues what so ever. If you are that concerned - get a box or two to see if your firearm likes it.
And BTW, they stand 100% behind their no nonsense warranty. I sent them back a batch of 7.62 ammo with pierced primers and I had a brand new box in less than a week. There were no questions asked, they paid for shipping both ways. Thats customer service!

rod
07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I use it all the time. Never had a problem with it.

Technical Ted
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Don't know why people are so paranoid about Wolf ammo vs others. Myself, and others have been shooting lots of it in any common caliber - no issues what so ever. If you are that concerned - get a box or two to see if your firearm likes it.
Personally I'd rather use accurate ammo to improve my marksmanship rather than chase a fair group with inaccurate ammo.

All shot the same day through a 16" 1:9 bbl at 50yds.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/341424.jpg

Jicko
07-16-2007, 11:30 AM
It is a matter of choice...

Some people will only put 91 octane into their cars.... and some people stick with only 87...

Some people refuse to eat fast-food (McD, Jack, Carl's Jr etc...) while some other have those as their daily meals...

Everyone have their preference, opinion and reasons....

If you cannot afford better, then that's maybe your reason...

But then, go watch "Super Sized Me" before taking daily McD meals....

PS. OP asked for opinions.... that's mine here: NO WOLFs on ANY of my firearms....

sardaukar
07-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I've got 500 rounds incoming. We'll see how it goes.

aplinker
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I've shot thousands of rounds without any problem. I can hit 600yd 12" metal targets ~9/10 times with it. Older Wolf had lots of issues (lacquer days). Current has been better.

Is it great? No. Is it $4 a box? Yes. If I'm going plinking it's fine. If I want groups, I'll use Federal Gold or Black Hills.

VAHEVAHE
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
I've shot thousands of rounds without any problem. I can hit 600yd 12" metal targets ~9/10 times with it. Older Wolf had lots of issues (lacquer days). Current has been better.

Is it great? No. Is it $4 a box? Yes. If I'm going plinking it's fine. If I want groups, I'll use Federal Gold or Black Hills.

I just called ammo bros and they dont have them in stock, where can i get yellow black box wolf ammo in .223

akjunkie
07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
my mini 14 and Bush M4 ate it up .....

however, my M4 started short stroking.. took couple range trips to find the culprit.

my gas tube was clogged up. tried squirting gun scrubber down teh gas tube via the upper receiver and nothing came out.

solved the clogging issue with a long clothes hanger, after that gunscrubber was pouring out of the muzzle freely.

i'd still use wolf for my mini 14.. but not my ARs.

my 2cents...

Oswald2001
07-16-2007, 1:06 PM
To each their own.

I have shot about 10,000 rounds of Wolf (9mm and .223) with NO PROBLEM. Laquer and poly...NO PROBLEM.

Problem people will continue to have problems where none legitimately exist, because they manufacture problems. I'm not one of those people. I just shoot Wolf with NO PROBLEM and enjoy the savings.

I still have about 10,000 rounds of Wolf 9mm in my plinking stash that I (thankfully) bought at $.10/round a couple of years ago on sale.

For plinking/practice, Wolf is superb.

If I had a Savage bolt action that I was shooting for precision, I would hand load.

As far as the 'holiness' of brass and the anti-Wolf bias that still persists, may I suggest a reading of "The Emporer's New Clothes".

http://www.taletown.com/emporer.html

It is a very short tale about seeing with your own eyes and not buying into illiusions created by pressure from supposed elitists that are - purportedly - 'in the know'.

I can go to the range, shoot a bunch of Wolf and go home with NO PROBLEM.

I simply do not know what the problem-with-Wolf people are talking about.

'Cause I have never had any problem with Wolf, but then...I'm not looking to manufacure any either.

There is one proviso though: Some guns don't 'like' some ammo.

Ok. In that case, use what your gun 'likes'....or get a less finicky gun.

AJAX22
07-16-2007, 1:33 PM
I ran close to 500 rounds of wolf 9mm through my glock 17 over the weekend rapid fire through 33 round mags (I let the gun cool off every couple of mags)

not a single problem with going bang, no failures to extract etc.

It wasn't the most acurate stuff I've shot, but for making noise and having fun it worked just fine and was quite inexpensive.

Now the .45 wolf cost me a buck the other day. I bet my buddy that he couldn't hit a manhole lid 'gong' that was strung up at well over 400 yards with my 1943 Colt 1911. He braced himself with a bench rest, walked it in and nailed it on the sixth round.

So much for all wolf being inactuate junk.

boogak
07-16-2007, 2:43 PM
i used to be against wolf. i wouldnt even dare try it as my ak wouldnt feed it.
but i used 200 rounds of wolf through my ar and it ate it up no problem.
id say try it. if your gun doesnt like it then try something else.

oaklander
07-16-2007, 3:27 PM
This stuff is good:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7169&dir=18|725

It's Serbian, made by PRVI Partizan. Sometimes it's also sold under the Wolf Gold label. It's clean and more accurate than the Wolf Russian stuff.

thomye
07-16-2007, 3:40 PM
guess it depends on which wolf ammo but the last time i used it, i got in trouble with the rangemasters. they took it away cuz they have steel core bullets which i guess is a fire hazzard in these parts this time of year. (i don't know the details, only that they took it away and gave it back to me when i left)

the way they tested it was they put a magnet to it and it stuck. They told me not to use any ammo that are magnetic. so, only for that reason, i don't use it. otherwise i've had no issues with it in the past except for some FTE's.

my last batch i used federal and they were awesome. no issues and they were rather accurate.

AJAX22
07-16-2007, 3:46 PM
Some range masters don't know the difference between steel case and steel core.

To my knowledge wolf is not steel core, and hasn't been since they ruled that 7.62x39 steel core was an AP handgun round and subject to import ban restrictions.

aplinker
07-16-2007, 3:46 PM
guess it depends on which wolf ammo but the last time i used it, i got in trouble with the rangemasters. they took it away cuz they have steel core bullets which i guess is a fire hazzard in these parts this time of year. (i don't know the details, only that they took it away and gave it back to me when i left)

the way they tested it was they put a magnet to it and it stuck. They told me not to use any ammo that are magnetic. so, only for that reason, i don't use it. otherwise i've had no issues with it in the past except for some FTE's.

my last batch i used federal and they were awesome. no issues and they were rather accurate.

The military classic ammo is magnetic, the balck box is occasionally. It's the bullet that matters. The cases are all magnetic. Just bring a magnet with you to check.

As to where to find Wolf... shrugs... I just buy it whenever I see it. Some regular shops will have it. Sportsman's Warehouse always does. Just call around. All 223 is in short supply now. The surplus is gone and everyone is buying factory, which leads to higher demand. Shipping and raw materials costs are up, too...

I did have problems with the green lacquered stuff they used to make. I should add the caveat that we were shooting rather rapidly. We had a pile of about 100 mags and a registered AR with a group of about 6 people. I don't think it rested at all. Somewhere around mag 40-60, the lacquer gummed up and stuck. Nothing a good cleaning didn't take care of.

MudCamper
07-16-2007, 3:59 PM
I shoot Wolf .223 all the time, because it's the least expensive ammo I can get. I've put over 12,000 rounds of Wolf through 3 firearms - 1 Bushmaster Upper AR, 1 Colt Upper AR, and a Mini-14. In all those rounds, I've had a few failures to extract.

Wolf is dirty - especially becasue of the waxy crap that seals the primers, but it's cheap and good for plinking.

VAHEVAHE
07-16-2007, 5:54 PM
OK heres another question, will the ammo prices drop after the troops are pulled from iraq?

1919A4
07-16-2007, 7:08 PM
I have shot somewhere in the range of 30K of wolf over the last 15 yrs. I am guessing the years. Could be plus or minus a year or two. I have never had a issue. Not once. At the last shoot myself and others where shooting a steel gong at 480 yrds. Its not match ammo but works good for plinking thats for sure.

EricCartmann
07-16-2007, 8:39 PM
I have shot somewhere in the range of 30K of wolf over the last 15 yrs. I am guessing the years. Could be plus or minus a year or two. I have never had a issue. Not once. At the last shoot myself and others where shooting a steel gong at 480 yrds. Its not match ammo but works good for plinking thats for sure.

+1

It is not match ammo for sure but it has been good to me everytime. with known "good mags" i have never had one FTF FTE with Wolf, it goes bang everytime. If your gun as problems with work... guess what? it is not the ammo it is the gun!

edit to say: i have never experienced problems with wolf .223 or 7.62x39, but i have hear much problems with wolf .308 on the FAL forums.

adamsreeftank
07-16-2007, 9:06 PM
OK heres another question, will the ammo prices drop after the troops are pulled from iraq?

My crystal ball is saying 2013. What year are you getting?

cseabass
07-16-2007, 9:15 PM
just bought a case last weekend, got 1000 rounds for runder 180.00... not too bad IMO(for getting it the day i wanted to go shoot)

had a few issues with feeding but nothing i would ***** about, for plinking it worked well enough... would i trust my life to the ammo, only in a pinch. but then i wouldnt trust my life to a fixed mag ar to begin with.

my verdict... for plinking, its not horrible... just clean your weapon well afterwards.

Shane916
07-16-2007, 10:36 PM

I would guess no. Especially for Wolf as im sure they supply no steel case ammo to our military.

Solidsnake87
07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Wolf is cheap plinking ammo. Its not accurate but its definitely fun. I'd be seriously worried of the non-laquered ammo did not function in your AR. I'd recommend using cheaper brass cased ammo to avoid fracturing the warranty your parts have!

thefurball
07-17-2007, 5:13 AM
I use it. Never had a problem.

Nordschleife
07-17-2007, 7:33 AM
Wolf ammo jams on us every now and then, but I don't expect much out of it, and overall it's good, cheap plinking ammo.

glockman19
07-17-2007, 7:51 AM
My AR's only eat Federal, Remington & Winchester ammo.

Federal: Lake City, American Eagle, 55 & 62 grain
Remington UMC 50/55/62 grain JHP & FMJ
Winchester 55 grain Q3131.

NO Wolf.

MudCamper
07-17-2007, 8:30 AM

I would guess no. Especially for Wolf as im sure they supply no steel case ammo to our military.

I disagree. The reason Wolf is so expensive right now is because everything else is expensive because of Iraq. It's simple supply and demand. If the war ever ends, the supply will start go go up fast, and the prices of the good stuff will drop, and then the price of Wolf will drop.

aplinker
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I disagree. The reason Wolf is so expensive right now is because everything else is expensive because of Iraq. It's simple supply and demand. If the war ever ends, the supply will start go go up fast, and the prices of the good stuff will drop, and then the price of Wolf will drop.

<$4/20 is expensive?

MudCamper
07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
<$4/20 is expensive?

For Wolf, yes.

I used to buy it for $89 for 1000 a few years ago. Maybe that was 10 years ago... At any rate, before the war it maybe got as high as $129. Now it's up over $200.

AJAX22
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
2005 wolf was less than 100$ per 1000 shipped so yeah 4$ per 20 is pricy for it.

xenophobe
07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
In mine? Never.

In yours? Go for it.

Well said...