PDA

View Full Version : ?? on assault weapon registration

m1match
07-16-2007, 8:11 AM
If you have legally registered Category I, II, or III assault weapons, is there an obligation to notify DOJ of you move from the address on your registration paperwork? I didn't think there was a requirement to notify of address changes, but I'm not sure.

C123K_LoadMaster
07-16-2007, 9:39 AM
I am not aware of any requirement to notify them of a change of address.

PanzerAce
07-16-2007, 9:47 AM
IIRC, it automatically is updated when you get a new drivers license.

bwiese
07-16-2007, 9:53 AM
If you have legally registered Category I, II, or III assault weapons, is there an obligation to notify DOJ of you move from the address on your registration paperwork? I didn't think there was a requirement to notify of address changes, but I'm not sure.

There is no legal obligation.

It might, however, be a good idea to do so in case it takes time for DMV data to propagate - getting fresh paperwork assures your name/toys are in the database.

Better to find out now, then have problems later with cop doing a radio check of your guns thru AFS with things screwed up.

The AW and 50BMG databases often have 'issues' with models/types of guns. I wouldn't be surprised if there are serial # issues either - always good to check your reg papers and ensure they're right.

You are also under no legal obligation to carry your AW papers when transporting (locked, unloaded, to/from specific authorized destinations) your AWs. However, I believe it may well defuse a situation - "oh, they're reg'd, let him go" instead of trying to interpret mangled AFS data over the mobile data terminal so it's a good ideal to carry a copy.

Maybe keep your fresh, new printout in safety deposit box and a copy in your gunsafe and another in your car.

m1match
07-16-2007, 6:44 PM
OK- thanks all for the answers.

MicronuT
07-17-2007, 9:33 PM
they demanded to know where the AWs are, they might get mad when they come for them and you dont live there anymore :stuart:

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5880/orwellfuturegm1qm3.jpg