View Full Version : survival guides

10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I have a sas pocket guide that I got from my wife - are there ones that are more climate or area specific guides.

What do you have and do you keep one in b.o.bs and cars.

Also who makes the best in your opinions ie. Ones you may have used to camp long term to survive.

10-22-2012, 1:52 PM
I have a reprint of the Army's FM 21-76 and an app for FM 3-05.70

10-22-2012, 9:54 PM
I like the SAS pocket guild because it is a pretty handy book and it is a great size. I also have a copies of the Ranger Handbook, USMC field manual, USMC Mountain warfare manual and several others.

I can't think of a more specific book about the western United States and our specific climate. I have visited several of the western states visitor and tourists bureau sights as well as the State and US park service web pages also. There is a lot of specific information out there your going to have to research and compile it. Get some general road maps for everywhere you travel too, they contain a lot of info.

I would suggest anything you carry in a pack be waterproofed or stored in a waterproof container so it doesn't get ruined.

10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
i suggest every prepper/man/woman/child get one of these:

10-23-2012, 8:43 AM
what you may want is a cheap ebook reader and a lot of useful pdfs.

10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
i suggest every prepper/man/woman/child get one of these:

+1 This is a 100% must have. I also have his Desk Reference which has even MORE cool info.

10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
what you may want is a cheap ebook reader and a lot of useful pdfs.

And a solar charger for the reader.

Kind of a tossup which might be better, depending on what you anticipate.

With a charger (and time to use it) one can carry a lot of good, even vital, info in a reader while on the move. Ebooks are often cheaper, even free.

With hard copy, you can read one, someone else can read another, and a third can be annotating yet another. Sharing an ebook is a little hard.

Paper is heavy and subject to wet, mold, fire, and other physical problems. Electronics are also subject to wet and fire, and dropping one or putting something heavy on it might break it.

Which is why I have some of each!

10-23-2012, 6:39 PM

I carry this one and a few others i have in my truck or bag. The author actually has alot of other great books where tells how he survived a year by himself in the woods. His survival techniques are that of an old native that taught him and his freind the ancient ways of the native scout .. They call him Grandfather. check them out there all intresting im actually reading my 2nd book of his now.

12-17-2012, 9:02 PM
I have an Army survival guide on my phone. I want to read Cody Lundin's books too. That guy knows a lot about survival and primitive skills.

12-18-2012, 2:39 PM
cody Lundin is a very good book. he does not waste time on gimicks and goes into the heart of how to survive.

Deep survival and 98.8 are both great books. So different then others like the sas yet have a better statistical chance of keeping you alive.

12-18-2012, 9:17 PM

12-18-2012, 11:35 PM
You guys ever look at those army guides? they ain't that great. You can put a million on a kindle though that can be used a month or more between charges fwiw.

PDFs look like crap on them. They're readable on computers but the aspect ratio doesn't fit a kindle and you have to move around the page constantly. It can be done but its awful.

I get everything in kindle format if possible.

if it emps enough to break the kindle, I got problems it was never gonna fix anyway.

I'd welcome an emp. it'd be the best thing to happen to the us

12-27-2012, 2:57 PM
I think almost any manual you would need is right on that page.