PDA

View Full Version : Whats the diff between Rem 1100 std/lt/lw/sp

patman
07-15-2007, 2:12 PM
There's a ton of threads on 1100 vs 1187, etc but not too much on the differences within the 1100 models. I've been researching the differences to purchase a 1100 when a great deal comes up. Unfortunately, I'm still a bit uncomfortable with some of the answers learned or read to date.

The models of 1100 (USED) that I have read about with focus on 20ga. The user will be 11-15 years old or a petite woman, 5'2" 95lbs. It will be for general usage: starting trap [scored like you do ball games for <12 year olds ;)], youth hunts of tame/planted birds, etc. The purchasing idea is to either get a youth model or an adult one and turn it into a youth model. I know about the 1187 synthetic youth and others but the 1100 is my focus. The Beretta 391 youth is nice but >$900. Already have a 20ga 870 pump youth but the recoils still a tad much. Plugs will probably be used to make it a 1 or 2 shot. Weight of around 6lbs with a 20-21" barrel. IC/MC

1) The 1100 early standard. Various fancy versions from simple wood, fancy engraving (Sam Walton), to synthetic stock.

2) The latest models (recent in past few years). Same as but can handle 3" shells.

3) Different weights between the designations of Standard, and LT or LW.

4) Some stocks fit other models in same gauge but not perfectly sometimes.

5) NIB models are fancy and high end $$$. The STD, LT, and LW are discontinued.

The subject area of interest is with #3 and #4.

a) Is LT-20 the lighter weight (Maxicon - you posted your buy of one of these earlier this year.) version same as the LW (serial # ending in 'K'). How much lighter?

b) The LT barrels are more common than LW and they are not interchangeable correct? Are the actions different?

c) Weight is important, so would you recommend a 'LT-20' partly due to (b)?

d) Is it possible to fit rifle 7600 stocks on the 1100 20ga?

I guess knowing exactly what the difference is between an LT and LW is bugging me the most!

Pat.

maxicon
07-15-2007, 7:44 PM
Yeah, the 1100 20 gauge timeline is a bit muddy, and you have to have the right info to swap barrels or stocks.

You can search on this over at www.shotgunworld.com - I'd search on 1100 lt lw, and you might find some useful posts.

Here's what I dug out when I got mine, after searching around a bit. I can't vouch for all this, but these are excerpts from other folks' posts:

-----

Early Model 1100 and 870 20 Ga. shotguns were built on the 12 Ga. frame. The serial number ends in an "X" or a "N". The barrel guide ring (gas cylinder) brazed to the barrel was a 12 Ga. ring. These barrels are no longer available from the factory as they were discontinued in 1978. The barrels sold now are for the LT 20, which is built on a narrower frame. Its smaller barrel guide ring will not fit over the large frame magazine tube. A quarter will not fit through the LT-20 barrel ring, but will through the older rings.

-----

There are three total frame variants made for an 1100 20 ga.

The old, pre 1977 20 ga 1100s were built on the standard 12 ga frame (receiver)

There was a 20 ga built on the 28 Lightweight receiver in the mid 1970s that was short lived (I think this is the LW) and replaced by the "LT-20" that was introduced in 1977.

The "LT-20" is the version that "survived" to the present day.

It is readily distinguishable by the lowered relief cut toward the back of the ejection port.

Barrels do NOT interchange among the three, distinctly different 20 ga variants.

----

From Brownell's SpeedFeed page:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=12710
Please Note: Remington 20 ga. guns with serial numbers ending in "K" or "U" are a small frame and require a 20 ga. stock set. 20 ga. guns with serial numbers ending in "X" or "N" are a large frame and require a 12 ga. stock set.

----

As for the rest, an 1100 (12 or 20 g) is generally only standard or 3" magnum, not both at once, and it takes different barrels to switch. I drilled out my LT-20 magnum barrel so it would shoot standard shells (I'm working on a post documenting that). To use both shells in one shotgun, you need the 11-87 or another brand.

Barrels and other parts for the LT-20 are definitely more common than for the older guns, and are a good bit cheaper on ebay. The 20 gauge barrels for the 12 gauge size frames go for a good bit more.

My LT-20 weighs 7 lb 4 oz unloaded, and is just a little lighter than my 1100 12 gauge, which is 7 lbs 10 oz. Recoil's not bad, and is a whole lot lighter than my 20 gauge single-shot.

maxicon
07-15-2007, 9:36 PM
And a little more on barrels, digging into the archives. I should put up a web page rolling this all up into one place...

----

From a page on Hastings barrels:
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=31_33

RemingtonĀ® 1100 LT-20. Barrels have 2-3/4" chamber for use on Magnum and 2-3/4" receivers with 2-3/4" slug ammunition. M-1100 LT-20, 20-gauge lightweight barrels will not fit pre-1977 M-1100 LW 20-gauge lightweight or M-1100 standard weight 20-gauge shotguns.

----

2 3/4" chambered gun's serial should end with a K
3" chambered gun's serial should end with a U