PDA

View Full Version : How is a legal AR loaded if the mag is fixed?

s-one
07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Sorry for such a dumb question. :( I've never seen a CA legal AR before and don't know how they operate. Is there a photo that someone can point me too.

Thanks.
s-one

DJDace
07-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't have a photo, but I can tell you how it's done.

You pop the rear takedown pin of your AR-15. Pivot the Upper assembly off the Lower receiver. Now the gun is open like a pair of scissors and you can access the Magazine to load cartridges in.

Lateralus
07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
heres a pic (the best one i could find off google)

http://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Miscellaneous/wb804-4895.jpg

that little white part between the upper and lower is not gonna be there btw. it is a rest to make cleaning easier.

After the reat akedown pin is pushed out, the upper will pivot all the waty forward, allowing the user to load the mag like normal

SemiAutoSam
07-15-2007, 12:54 PM
There are more ways to have a fixed mag rifle so that would also depand on how the mag is fixed.

You have a lock like mine and also the Prince50 lock and then you also have the Bullet Button.

There are several ways a AR can be configured to make it legal.

You could have a fixed mag AR or a detachable mag AR.

SO you can see there are more ways than one to have a California Legal AR.

Sorry for such a dumb question. :( I've never seen a CA legal AR before and don't know how they operate. Is there a photo that someone can point me too.

How is a legal AR loaded if the mag is fixed?

Thanks.
s-one

s-one
07-15-2007, 2:10 PM
ok. I get it now. I was browsing all your awesome setups but couldn't understand how you load them. Thank you all very much.

C.G.
07-15-2007, 6:52 PM
You can also use stripper clips and guides:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24654&highlight=stripper+clip+guide

aplinker
07-15-2007, 7:01 PM

Thanks.
s-one

Almost everyone here does one of two things.

They use a Monsterman grip or U-15 stock on a featureless build (no flash hider, no collapsible stock, etc...) and a regular detachable mag (including hi-caps if you owned them pre-ban).

Nearly everyone else uses a Bullet Button which allows the use of an "attachable" magazine and a tool removal of the magazine. These builds are limited to 10 round capacity.

In both cases, with the exception of using a bullet to drop the mag, they are loaded the same.

davedog665
07-15-2007, 7:10 PM
in the case your using the bullet button once u remove the mag then the gun is an AW right because it does not at the moment have an mag but still posses all the other "evil features"

SemiAutoSam
07-15-2007, 7:27 PM
NO its not as the Bullet Button or my PIN-LOCK both require a tool to release the magazine. and we all remember what is stated at the link below

When we need a tool to detach the magazine its no longer considered a detachable magazine.

And both the Bullet Button and the PIN-LOCK require a tool to remove the magazine.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter39.pdf

ARTICLE 2. DEFINITIONS OF TERMS USED TO IDENTIFY ASSAULT WEAPONS The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:

(a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

in the case your using the bullet button once u remove the mag then the gun is an AW right because it does not at the moment have an mag but still posses all the other "evil features"

hoffmang
07-15-2007, 7:28 PM
When using the bullet button the rifle never transitions to AW status as long as you don't remove the BB. When the magazine is out, there is no way to attach a "detachable magazine." As soon as you put a magazine into the rifle, it is retained until you use a bullet or a tool to remove it.

That said, I recommend that you keep a magazine in when not actually replacing a loaded magazine to make explaining the legality of the rifle simple.

-Gene

davedog665
07-15-2007, 7:46 PM
When using the bullet button the rifle never transitions to AW status as long as you don't remove the BB. When the magazine is out, there is no way to attach a "detachable magazine." As soon as you put a magazine into the rifle, it is retained until you use a bullet or a tool to remove it.

That said, I recommend that you keep a magazine in when not actually replacing a loaded magazine to make explaining the legality of the rifle simple.

-Gene

Thanks for clearing that up

s-one
07-16-2007, 6:24 PM
Thanks all again for the info.