PDA

View Full Version : Add on sights for a Home Defence shotgun

caduckgunner
07-14-2007, 2:45 PM
What options do I have for add on sights for my Winchester 1300 Defender. The
receiver is NOT tapped, and all I have is a bead sight up front. I have looked at Vang Comp sight, but for the price of those, I can buy a another shotgun w/ ghostrings. One option I have been considering is having a gunsmith tap my receiver and then adding factory Mossberg ghostrings (I saw this done before on ARF.COM). Any other ideas. I currently have a surefire weapons light and a Speedfeed III buttstock.

timmyb21
07-14-2007, 9:15 PM
Just put a fiber optic front bead sight on her. Lots of options there from the 5 dollar Wal-Mart job to probably $40. I got the Wal mart one on my Mossberg 500 and it works fine. do it yourself with a little loc-tite and your good to go.

skeetskeet
07-15-2007, 8:30 AM
$25 Tritium night sight
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19914&title=TRITIUM+SHOTGUN+SIGHT

desertram800
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
I think ATI or one of those brands makes a heatshield that has ghost ring sights on it. Cheap and easy, and you're not looking for an accurate range gun for HD. Just a possible option for ya!

caduckgunner
07-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I think ATI or one of those brands makes a heatshield that has ghost ring sights on it. Cheap and easy, and you're not looking for an accurate range gun for HD. Just a possible option for ya!

Ya I can't bring myself to buy that crap :shrug:

Cali-V
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Well Spoken!!

MedSpec65
07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Check out XS Ghost Rings. I mounted them on my Rem 870 and definitely improved accuracy at 40 yards. www.xssights.com

aplinker
07-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Check out XS Ghost Rings. I mounted them on my Rem 870 and definitely improved accuracy at 40 yards. www.xssights.com

What kind of house has a 40yd room? :D

How familiar are you with your shotgun? Do you seat it properly without looking? I would say just a tritium bead sight should be well beyond anything you need. Keep in mind us clays shooters/bird hunters use them out to 30+ yards on fast moving targets.

gunrun45
07-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Wilson combat ghost ring night sights. Get them at brownells and have a good smith install them for you.
I've got them on 3 shotguns (2-870's and one mossy). Never had better sights. They are adjustable for windage and elevation at the rear via an allen wrench adjustment that locks down and doesn't easliy come loose (important with shotgun recoil). This is important in case you ever want to add a slugger barrel for hunting or whatever as the rear sight will lign up with the stock rifle post on a slug barrel and offer a longer sight radius over stock sights. There are 2 tritium inserts in the rear sight and one in the front. Sight alignment has zero change over from standard handgun sights.

Are they expensive? Yes. Are they worth it? I wouldnt' have bought 2 more after the first set if I didn't think so. They ride in my patrol car and my 2 home defense shotguns. Worth every penny.

Yes, piont shooting for up close work is important and your shotgun should come naturally to target when you shoulder it. If it doesn't then either your stance is off or the shotgun butstock needs to be adjusted to you. Any competent gun smith can do this for a small fee. If you have any doubts, take it into a smith that does stocks and have him check the fit for you. Its kinda like buying a pair of shoes except you can adjust them to fit you :)