PDA

View Full Version : 50 Beowulf or 458 SOCOM

XDshooter
07-13-2007, 9:58 PM
I have decided that the last of my three lowers will be chambered for either the Beowulf or 458 socom cartridge.

The ballistics seem very similiar.

Give me some opinions please. Thanks.

Oh, and I will probably be reloading after a few rounds.

wildcard
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
If you're reloading, 458 SOCOM is the way to go. Better ballistics.. more bullet selection.. uses regular mags.

XDshooter
07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I looked around and people were saying that the Beo used unmodded mags too.

wildcard
07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I looked around and people were saying that the Beo used unmodded mags too.

I've read that you could do it too.. but I forgot what was different about actual Beo mags. 458 on the other hand are actually made to work in standard mags :)

Just looked it up:
Will the Beowulf® magazine feed .223 shells?
No it will not.

Can any .223 magazine be used in the Beowulf®?
Yes, but the feed lips must be modified. The feed lips need to be opened up to allow for the much larger cartridge.
In addition, a new follower needs to be installed to allow for the single stack configuration of the Beowulf® cartridge.

So yup.. there are differences.

MustangO4
07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
got it, love it

www.458socomforums.com

C.G.
07-14-2007, 1:18 AM
I've read that you could do it too.. but I forgot what was different about actual Beo mags. 458 on the other hand are actually made to work in standard mags :)

Just looked it up:
Will the Beowulf® magazine feed .223 shells?
No it will not.

Can any .223 magazine be used in the Beowulf®?
Yes, but the feed lips must be modified. The feed lips need to be opened up to allow for the much larger cartridge.
In addition, a new follower needs to be installed to allow for the single stack configuration of the Beowulf® cartridge.

So yup.. there are differences.
And you actually have a Beowulf :confused: or is that something that you have read on Barf.com or Socom.com, because a lot of what you say is b. s.
(BTW, where did you actually look it up, because they actually had no idea what they were talking about).

All of my mags, including the crappy Pro-Mags have fed Beowulf just fine, with no mods. In fact, the Pro-mags feed Beowulf better than the 5.56.

If Tromix were still in the .458 Socom game, I would say go for it, because he is a good gunsmith. Unfortunately, he is not in the .458 game anymore. RRA may pick it up "in the future". The only one that I am know of that will do .458 Socom is Teppo-juitsu at this time.

Factory ammo for the Socom is only available from Cor-bon at this point and it is costlier than AA ammo. Factory ammo is very limited, although if you reload there are many possibilities.

On the negative side for the Beowulf is that there is a shortage of brass right now, if you reload.

On the positive side there more barrel manufacturers for the Beowulf at this point, i. e. Satern, AA, Accuracy systems; factory ammo is carried by Midway (when in stock, try that one for the Socom) in addition to AA, Umlaut Arms and others.

Uppers for the Beo are available from Cabellas, Midway, AA, Umlaut Arms, Bud's gun shop and others; Teppo-juitsu only for the Socom, as far as I know.

I am not sure whether either caliber will last, but I am sure that the Beo will outlast the Socom.

Both rounds are similar, good to about 175-200 yards and I am not knocking the Socom, I am knocking the misconceptions.

IH8CALAWS
07-14-2007, 6:56 AM
I just got the new bushmaster catalog and it has the .458 in it so i think it will be around for a while. never fired either one though.

grammaton76
07-14-2007, 7:42 AM
Well, one thing the Beo has going for it is that it uses the same bullets as 50 Action Express. So, you certainly don't have to worry about folks not making the projectiles anymore.

Another point is that while the Beowulf is a straight wall cartridge (meaning minimal stretch, thus it will probably last through many more reloading sessions), the 458 Socom is a bottleneck cartridge.

XDshooter
07-14-2007, 8:14 AM
You guys ain't making it easy.

Both seem to have good qualities.

Also, i've seen how people were saying the lack of bullet sizes for the Beo, but Midway has about 6-7 different grains.

C.G.
07-14-2007, 9:59 AM
I just got the new bushmaster catalog and it has the .458 in it so i think it will be around for a while. never fired either one though.

Incorrect. Bushmaster came out with their own version of .45.
RRA has the .458 in their catalogue.

C.G.
07-14-2007, 10:06 AM
You guys ain't making it easy.

Both seem to have good qualities.

Also, i've seen how people were saying the lack of bullet sizes for the Beo, but Midway has about 6-7 different grains.

Look at the bottom of this page for bullets:
http://www.50beowulf.com/store/index.htm
and for discussions on reloading other bullets, i. e. Hornady SW 500:
http://www.50beowulf.com/bboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12

thmpr
07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Get both...............:)

One of the main reason why I got the beowulf .... Bragging rights to say I got a 50 cal rifle...:D

TheMan
07-14-2007, 2:53 PM
One of the main reason why I got the beowulf .... Bragging rights to say I got a 50 cal rifle...:D

That was a small part of my reasoning too. Saying you have a .499 or .458 doesn't sound the same. :D I've sold twice as many of the beo case gauges in CA compared to any other state, so I am guessing we aren't the only 2 people that thought that...

Is there a forum for .50AE owners?

Toolbox X
07-14-2007, 4:13 PM
My Beo feeds fine from my normal pre-ban AR 20rd and 30rd mags.

However, I did just receive four 10-rd and two 7-rd mags from AA. The lips on the mags are bent ever so slightly so the front of the top bullet sticks up just a little bit higher than it does with a 5.56 mag.

The AA mag followers are normal 5.56 followers, except they are blue instead of green.

The Beowulf is a lot more popular than any other similar cartridges/systems. There are a number of reasons why, with ammo availability and cost playing a big part.

My beo is my home defense rifle. The Glock just gets me to the safe.

Hoop
07-14-2007, 4:19 PM
If the rounds will feed from a standard 223 mag, does that mean that you could use a standard AR lower coupled with a 50 Beowulf upper?

MERCULA
07-14-2007, 4:39 PM
Kinda on topic ? Can you legaly attach (prince 50/ BB ) a 30 round mag body
( 10 for the BEOWULF I believe) to a lower while the Beowulf upper is attached ?
Ive been leaning to the beowulf myself .

XDshooter
07-14-2007, 5:54 PM
Kinda on topic ? Can you legaly attach (prince 50/ BB ) a 30 round mag body
( 10 for the BEOWULF I believe) to a lower while the Beowulf upper is attached ?
Ive been leaning to the beowulf myself .

I don't see why not.

Can you imagine loading some 223 in there and then watch the round fly through the barrel when the bolt came flying forward.

ETD1010
07-14-2007, 6:04 PM
If the rounds will feed from a standard 223 mag, does that mean that you could use a standard AR lower coupled with a 50 Beowulf upper?

most definitely! I plan on getting a Beowulf upper just as soon as I get enough cash... which should be in 3-5 years or so :eek:

capitol
07-14-2007, 6:24 PM
I can back up C.G. on the mag issue. My Beowulf will cycle unaltered AR15 mags.
I cant and wont comment on the 458 Socom because I dont own one, don't know anyone that has one and have never fired one.
My Beowulf is a jackhammer. It reminds me of a shotgun shooting slugs in a AR15 package.
I can tell you this. If you go with the Beo you wont be sorry. Well come to think of it the Beowulf is only going to make you buy a Grendel in the future :D

psssniper
07-14-2007, 6:34 PM
Another Beowulf fan here:)

do it!!!!

thmpr
07-14-2007, 8:29 PM
For legality purposes, please make sure the magazine floorplate states 50 beowulf on it and it is installed in a Beowulf upper since the 50 Beowulf magazine is capable of feeding standard 223 bullets.

XDshooter
07-14-2007, 8:38 PM
For legality purposes, please make sure the magazine floorplate states 50 beowulf on it and it is installed in a Beowulf upper since the 50 Beowulf magazine is capable of feeding standard 223 bullets.

So what happens when you can put 9mm in a 40 mag. Also, I'm definitely not spending $250 on some lower that is identical to a standard 223 lower except some markings.

I don't see as an issue since the barrel is not 223. I think I am going to shave the follower flat. When is someone gonna make a 50 follower?

thmpr
07-14-2007, 8:44 PM
I am talking about the 10 round 50 Beowulf magazine which is the same as the 223 30 round magazine.

Rule .308
07-14-2007, 8:44 PM
If you are not into reloading I would steer clear of the Socom. I do reload so I have a Socom and have never fired a Beowulf. These rounds are odd ball enough though that you will probably be better off if you reloaded for either one. My 458 is from Marty at Teppojutsu, it was in the area of 22 weeks to get it but when I got it everything was just as I had ordered. I took my upper up to my Dad's in Utah and shot it on a real AR lower and it worked awesome.

aplinker
07-15-2007, 1:37 PM

The only real issue he would have is if he tried to attach a "10rd Beowulf" which is a 30rd 223 mag to a fixed mag 223 build, which is the same for anyone with or without hi-caps. Anything else is just silly to worry about.

XDshooter
07-15-2007, 5:48 PM
The only real issue he would have is if he tried to attach a "10rd Beowulf" which is a 30rd 223 mag to a fixed mag 223 build, which is the same for anyone with or without hi-caps. Anything else is just silly to worry about.

This will be a fixed mag build.

I'm going to drill out the rivet on one of my c-products 20rd mags and shave the follower smooth. That way it will be a 7rd beowulf mag not a 20rd 223.

It won't matter if 223 can fit in it. Just like I posted above about 9mm rounds into 40 mags. Just because you can put 12 or so rounds of 9mm into some 40cal mags, doesn't make the mag illegal.

grammaton76
07-15-2007, 6:13 PM
You guys may be interested in knowing that H&K high performance steel mags will not feed the last round reliably. Probably a matter of the follower...