PDA

View Full Version : JD Machine GTG?

Rorge Retson
10-17-2012, 3:11 PM
Recently stopped into JD Machine (http://www.jdmachinetech.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JD&Category_Code=223). Had some nice billet hand guards & rail systems for touchy-feely in the lobby.

Looks like they make 7075 uppers and lowers as well, both for the AR-15 and .308/7.62.

Their stuff looks pricey, but also looks quality, so it may warrant the extra $$$.

Anyone use their stuff?

stix213
10-17-2012, 3:16 PM
The only thing I've got that is JD is a stripped lower, and for what its worth it has been great. Also has a better finish than others I've used.

saern
10-17-2012, 3:19 PM
if you have an ar 15 lower it was most likely made by them, regardless of who's logo is on it(excluding Colt).

tanakasan
10-17-2012, 3:20 PM
I have a 3-digit s/n JD lower (http://www.jdmachinetech.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JD&Category_Code=223LWR) and the fit, finish and function is great.

Robert

CK_32
10-17-2012, 3:51 PM
Now sure about their product but their lowers are GTG...

Shopping for one of their 308 lowers right now

sd joe
10-17-2012, 3:53 PM
I bought a complete rifle from them and several lowers. No Complaints and service was great.

SNCaliber
10-17-2012, 4:04 PM
JD Machine Tech does amazing work, my friend shoots on the navy match shooting team with them and swears by them

Speedpower
10-17-2012, 4:35 PM
Got one AR built with a JD lower, fit and finish is nice, planning on getting another one with the US NAVY logo for my son.

Schlyme
10-17-2012, 5:06 PM
I built my AR from one of their lowers. No issues what so ever. My Brother bought a match set 308 upper and lower. It looks awesome. He's still buying part that build. When he was ordering it, the sales guy hinted that they would soon be building lowers with horsies on them. :whistling: wonder what that was referring to.

bluto
10-17-2012, 5:13 PM
Got a stripped lower and mid length handguard on my AR build. Excellent
quality and workmanship.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-17-2012, 5:16 PM
if you have an ar 15 lower it was most likely made by them, regardless of who's logo is on it(excluding Colt).

Ummm... Not so much. They have made runs over the years for several different companies, including Noveske. But they are not a huge shop. They don't have the capacity to turn out lowers like you are suggesting.

As for their quality, it varies. They were one of the best a few years back. But then they ran into some issues with out of spec lowers and poor anodizing from one of their subcontractors. They seem to have gotten that under control. But their prices have gone up significantly, while their customer service has gone down. The last time I talked to them about buying a stripped upper, they quoted me a price that was 50% higher than I had paid a few months before, and 70% higher than a similar, name-brand upper cost online. And when asked about assembling one of their uppers with my parts (something that they had done literally dozens of times for me before for little or no cost), they said it would cost at least $50. More if I hadn't bought their parts at the most recent gunshow. I decided I didn't need a JD that bad after all. I went to Parallax, got the parts I needed far cheaper, and they assembled it for free.

In all fairness, I have a lot of JD uppers and lowers. I like the ones I have. They are nice, and I have never had a problem with any of them. I even have a few of their prototype parts, and the first upper they sold ever sold with their JD Machine logo on it when they changed over from being Kaiser. I was a serious fanboy. But I work too danged hard for my money. And I refuse to pay that much more than the going rate. Especially when they want to rake me over the coals to assemble an upper after I have literally spent thousands of dollars with them over the years. If you like JD stuff, it is nice. Just be aware that you could probably get your money to go farther elsewhere.

-Mb

JDW67
10-17-2012, 5:25 PM
I had one that wasn't anodized enough. It looks purple in the sunlight. No big deal as the fit and function has been adequate.

isplice
10-17-2012, 5:55 PM

Don't be too sure about that last part!

Brandon04GT
10-17-2012, 6:00 PM
I too am looking for some JD Machine lowers but they are out of stock everywhere.

DFF
10-17-2012, 6:37 PM
I have one of their lowers for my BCM upper. I'm very happy. :)

MrPlink
10-17-2012, 6:38 PM
In this day and age you would almost have to try to get a bad OOS lower from just about anyone. Justo avoid Hesse, vulcan, blackthorne or whatever news name those hucksters maybe have and you will, be fine.

mcisniper
10-17-2012, 7:51 PM
HELL YES!!! GTG!

badreligion
10-18-2012, 7:02 PM
I have 3 of JD machine USMC lowers with consecutive serial numbers. The machine work is uniform and matching with each of them. The 'roll' marks are also very consistent. The anodizing is uniform inside and out. I also have two uppers and they are the same as he lowers being without flaws.

I prefer the type of machined engraving that is done on on these receivers versus a stamped, rolled or lasered marking you find on less expensive lowers. This shows a greater attention to detail in the workmanship and if you ever choose to refinish the parts your not concerned with losing any markings that are present.

rusty815
10-18-2012, 8:32 PM
Definitely good to go, I got to handle their products last time I was in their shop and everything is top notch, the finish on their lowers is excellent. I don't have any JD parts (I bought a complete Stag), but I plan on buying a lower or two when I turn 21 in a few months.

mcisniper
10-19-2012, 9:17 AM
I have an AR built on JD upper and lower, smithed one with complete upper and lower. Sold a lower and getting ready to build it on a JD upper.

If a customer does not "need" a sexy brand name to impress his/her friends; JD is my go to manufacture.

Why?

Local; I believe in supporting local businesses and I can walk in and walk out with the parts.

Quality; my JD AR has a nice tight fit between the upper and lover, my PSA upper and lower receivers have the standard wobble. Both shoot beautifully but the JD feels higher quality.

and

Good folks to deal with.

Michael

Arkangel
10-19-2012, 2:40 PM
I like their lowers, I got mine for $90. No complaints so far.

21SF
10-19-2012, 2:51 PM
After the whole Kaiser split up, who ended up with the JD name? I thought there was some controversy regarding this.

Panchira!
10-19-2012, 6:45 PM
As for their quality, it varies. They were one of the best a few years back. But then they ran into some issues with out of spec lowers and poor anodizing from one of their subcontractors. They seem to have gotten that under control. But their prices have gone up significantly, while their customer service has gone down. The last time I talked to them about buying a stripped upper, they quoted me a price that was 50% higher than I had paid a few months before, and 70% higher than a similar, name-brand upper cost online. And when asked about assembling one of their uppers with my parts (something that they had done literally dozens of times for me before for little or no cost), they said it would cost at least $50. More if I hadn't bought their parts at the most recent gunshow. I decided I didn't need a JD that bad after all. I went to Parallax, got the parts I needed far cheaper, and they assembled it for free.

But I work too danged hard for my money. And I refuse to pay that much more than the going rate. Especially when they want to rake me over the coals to assemble an upper after I have literally spent thousands of dollars with them over the years. If you like JD stuff, it is nice. Just be aware that you could probably get your money to go farther elsewhere.

-Mb

I agree with this! I also had a really bad anodizing job on my fiencees upper and was blown away about how bad their customer service was. So I returned that junk and got a rifle gear upper the fit and finish was so much better and the anodizing was actually black! My ar is jd lower and upper. Fiencees is jd and riflegear. From now on it will be anything BUT jd machine.

Takes months to get a loyal customer but only seconds to loose one.

isplice
10-19-2012, 6:57 PM
After the whole Kaiser split up, who ended up with the JD name? I thought there was some controversy regarding this.

JD Machine was making the lowers for Kaiser Defense. After the split, Kaisers name was removed and JD Machine replaced it. The same people made both.