PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Volquartsen Barrel install on Ruger 10-22

keninsb
10-17-2012, 2:59 PM
I have a brand new Ruger 10-11 that I am in process of customizing. I bought a Volquartsen Match Barrel with Carbon THM Tension like THIS (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/377485/volquartsen-match-barrel-ruger-10-22-22-long-rifle-thm-tension-920-diameter-1-in-16-twist-18-3-8-carbon-fiber-black-with-compensator) one. When I went to install the barrel, I noticed that it was a VERY tight fit. I tried putting some anti-seize on it and tapping it in with a rubber mallot, but could only get it in part way. I emailed Volquartsen for some tips, but did not hear back so I did some research on the net.
Volquartsen makes their barrels .0025" oversize for an intentionally tight fit to prevent "canting" or tilting of the barrel when the V-Block is installed, so apparently this is a common issue for barrel installs, especially into a brand new receiver like mine. Anyway, I was able to get the barrel to fit by putting the barrel into the freezer for a couple of hours and putting the receiver into the oven on 200 deg. for an hour. Then I applied some anti-seize to the barrel and pushed it into the receiver as far as it would go and tapped it in the rest of the way with a rubber mallot. The trick was keeping the surfaces that make contact with the V-Block level with each other so that the extractor would line up properly with the barrel. Once that was done I put the bolt in to double check the extractor alignment and then tightened up the V-Block to 45ft lbs.
I just thought I would pass this on for anyone else experiencing the same issue.
Ken

tanakasan
10-17-2012, 3:31 PM
That seems like normal for many high quality aftermarket barrels.

Usually heat/warm the receiver and put the barrel in the freezer for a bit. Just be SURE that the extractor is lined up!

Robert