PDA

View Full Version : olyimpic arms

1911man
07-13-2007, 6:24 PM
I just bought a new upper, the guy told me it is a chromed lined barrel and it is also stainless steel how well do they shoot and is there any positive or negative comments about this brand of upper ?

Thanks,

Paul
07-13-2007, 6:56 PM
Olympic Arms aren't the best. I've got two or three uppers from them and had them fixed. I found the chambers to be non-standard size. I know a former armorer for them and he said that back then they made their own reamers and ran them too long meaning tight chambers. A couple of Tweaks with a proper sized reamer and out came a bit of shavings. One upper had a mis-aligned gas port. Once these were taken care of the rifles were fine.

tiger222
07-13-2007, 8:11 PM
in light of all the other quality makers, I just don't understand how Olympic is still around....?

Ratters
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Eh, my Olympic franken rifle worked just fine, though now I think the only thing Oly left on it is the lower, trigger guard and push pins. I'm still thinking of using the upper in a Monsterman setup as it always ran fine.

-hanko
07-14-2007, 6:17 AM
I just bought a new upper, the guy told me it is a chromed lined barrel and it is also stainless steel how well do they shoot and is there any positive or negative comments about this brand of upper ?

Thanks,
Stainless and chrome-lined isn't possible. If stainless, I believe Oly stamps an 's' on the barre. Chrome lining is applied to chrome-moly alloy, not stainless, barrels.

I've personally seen a lot of variation in Oly chambers, but as poster above said, the correct finish reamer will fix most tight chamber issues...just be gentle & have your chamber gages available.;)

My own experiences with Oly's "customer service" would cause me to comment that "service" here has the same connotation as it does when discussing livestock:chris::mad:

More info, as well as a lot of excuses, on the Oly forum. Try www.oa2.org; I haven't been there for a while.

-hanko

SFV_Dealer
07-14-2007, 7:34 AM
Well back in the days of Pre 1999 AR rifles, we didn't get much choices as you have now with all the off list lowers available. We had to buy the complete rifles and didn't have the option of buying lowers like now a days...

Well I got rid of all my Olympic uppers and kept the registered AW lowers. What did I put on my Oly lowers ? Stag Arms & Spike's Tactical lefty uppers (1HL, 2HTL, 5HL) on most of my AW rifles!
What a nice thing to get from Stag - no more brass in my face and way more accurate than the Oly uppers.

I am keeping a classic Olympic ML1 upper that is a free float match barrel rifle called "AR15 ML1" engraved....

Olympic makes neat stuff like Glock pistol mag fed carbines and 9mm/10mm/.45ACP Uzi mag fed uppers! The lowers are just for trigger / hammer release - the uppers do all the hard work!

Here is a photo of my Olympic lower on a CMMG Combat Assault System (CAS) upper w/ Krink flash hider for breaching!
CMMG CAS w/ Olympic AR15 rifle (preban - registered DOJ AW) w/ 30rd PMAG & VLTOR OD Green military stocks.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004391/CMMGrifle.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004391/CMMGrifle.JPG