PDA

View Full Version : Young MFG. Lightweight BCG Vs. JP LMOS BCG

bombadillo
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm going to be building a new upper and deciding on BCG. I've dealt with JP a lot, and absolutely love their products, but I saw the Young MFG. BCG the other day and didn't realize they made a nice lightweight carrier group as well. Does anybody have experience with BOTH, or at least the Young BCG? I know how well the LMOS system has been and in a rifle length setup, the carrier was butter smooth to cycle and it was just an amazing setup with the LMOS buffer. It shot amazingly smooth and controlled versus my Mil-Spec setups. I just want to get something different.

The other one I looked at was LOKI lightweight but they're so new I'm a bit hesitant to jump on board when for just a bit more, I can get a JP or Young group.

Prices are about $310 for JP LMOS complete bcg

$265 for Young MFG NM

$225 for LOKI BCG

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkiSrpF4t0bpdu2lq5T5Ew4Tp-SIn_NQzIQ0UAuwYCQYz3pR8j_g
JP LMOS BCG

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmfio1KXTEbjjq44rmaXzeKZOj-2OirWC7iJQMh-p1Ux5LjX-U
Young NM carrier (I lie the fat that it has forward assist

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-pkaXVoRSUzRpGDW4_ORM2uPBukvo8ow6R20PZgAjDpDTQPikUA

Loki Bolt carrier. Interesting concept, and also has forward assist hashes.

IPSICK
10-17-2012, 1:13 PM
Is that Loki nitrided like the JP also?

bombadillo
10-17-2012, 1:52 PM
JP is an in-house process called QPQ and its different than nitride. I don't know how to explain it other than it is the most truly self-lubricating finish I've ever seen. I'm leaning toward JP just because of past experience but I wanted to hear others experience first. It would be nice to only have to spend $225 on the LOKI one.

IPSICK
10-17-2012, 4:32 PM
How is QPQ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quench_polish_quench)different from Nitiriding (nitrocarburizing) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocarburizing)?

I only have experience with JP but I know Loki nitrides some of their barrels, so I was wondering if they did the same for their bolt carrier.

I also wouldn't call QPQ a self-lubricating treatment as it seems more of a surface hardening process. JP advocates a lot of wet lube for their rifles.

bombadillo
10-17-2012, 5:47 PM
True story, don't get me wrong. No metal is self-lubricating and I came across wrong if that was how I was advocating it. I just noticed it never needed as much lube as other AR's I've had and it was always MUCH smoother on the pull of the charging handle. I'm not sure how QPQ is different from nitride but I know there are some differences. I may ask JP in the next day or so if I can get time to do so.

IPSICK
10-17-2012, 7:26 PM
Afaik, qpq is a type of nitriding. I'm discussing this because if Loki nitrides its carrier, I'd be more inclined to advocate trying it. I like the JP because of smoothness and surface durability

BigBamBoo
10-17-2012, 8:25 PM
Well I have never seen the Loki bolt first hand. But the Young carrier is just a milled out standard carrier.

The JP carrier was designed and machined as a light(er) carrier. I have used quite a few and have one in my latest large frame AR build (6.5 Creedmoor).

So my vote goes to JP.

Take care,Stan

Saym14
10-17-2012, 8:37 PM
you could get a black rain nickel plated for that amount too.

bombadillo
10-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Does black rain make light weight BCG???

IPSICK
10-17-2012, 10:59 PM
you could get a black rain nickel plated for that amount too.

Is that Black Rain reduced mass also? The reduced mass carriers used along with an adjustable gas block really improves an ARs recoil impulse. Along with a good comp there is almost zero muzzle movement and very fast follow up shots.

bombadillo
10-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Didn't know black rain had a lightweight carrier. Any links to those?

chicoredneck
10-20-2012, 11:42 AM
True story, don't get me wrong. No metal is self-lubricating and I came across wrong if that was how I was advocating it. I just noticed it never needed as much lube as other AR's I've had and it was always MUCH smoother on the pull of the charging handle. I'm not sure how QPQ is different from nitride but I know there are some differences. I may ask JP in the next day or so if I can get time to do so.

As a company who uses nitriding I can tell you that QPQ (quench, polish, quench) is simply a description of the nitriding process. There are variations in the methodology of nitriding, especially for different types of steel alloys. For example, 416r stainless steel undergoes a slightly different process than does 4140 chrome moly.

As a distributor for young manufacturing, I am slightly bias, but young mfg makes some of the finest bcg's I have laid my hands on and they don't give into the staking gas key "craze" like so many other companies. They certainly put quality first. That being said, JP is a fine company and make good products.

Chrome does have a higher lubricity than nitride. Nitride has a higher lubricity than phosphated bolts. The increase in lubricity in a chrome plated bcg comes from the smooth structure of the chrome plating coupled with the very hard suface.. The increase in lubricity of nitrided bolts is primarily caused by the increased hardness over phosphated bolts and the qpq process. An increase in rc does have an impact on a materials lubricity.

bombadillo
10-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Excellent post. Thanks for the info on that and for the PM. I'll likely be going with Young lightweight by the sounds of it.