PDA

View Full Version : Which AR components should I buy first.

judgedrift
10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I am looking at all this possible AWB stuff and thinking I better move up my finishing of Rifle before stuff get to expensive/hard to find. I am looking to finish a SPR/3gun inspired build. I already have a complete LMT lower with standard everything. My component list includes:

White Oak Armament 18 Inch Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel Rifle gas

VLTOR MUR (Modular Upper Receiver) w/Forward Assist

Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 15.0

BCG Yet to be determined

Troy Battle Sight Set

BattleComp 1.0

Misc parts to complete build.

I need to hash out the optics, a better trigger and stock, but those can wait. I want a rifle can start taking to the range and shoot with irons to start. Most the the components are around $200 ,except the barrel, as of today. I am wondering which one would be harder to find as time goes on if their is a parts shortage. I have enough to spend on one thing now and one thing every month until tax time. Thanks for any advice.

bender152
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
BCG's are getting more expensive and harder to find. If you come across one at a good price, I would pick it up.

You can still find them for ~$160, but these same ones used to be ~$120 not too long ago.

judgedrift
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
BCG's are getting more expensive and harder to find. If you come across one at a good price, I would pick it up.

You can still find them for ~$160, but these same ones used to be ~$120 not too long ago.

I see any particular brand I should be looking at for a SPR/3gun build? i was looking at this one http://www.riflegear.com/p-1782-riflegear-nickel-boron-bcg-fa-hp-mpi-tested.aspx but mostly because its the only one I could find in stock close to me.

bender152
10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Off the top of my head, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense and Colt are well-regarded. I know BCM has theirs in stock for $160 right now. I can't speak for the others.

As for your link, I've never felt the need to get a NiB BCG. Just personal preference, but I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost.

judgedrift
10-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Just went to BCM's site.. sold out :(.

bender152
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Crap.. sorry about that. I could've sworn I saw them available there yesterday.

Palmetto has a no-brand one for $145. The specs look good, but I have no experience with these BCGs nor have I read anything about them.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html

wash
10-17-2012, 1:05 PM
Ranier, MEGA and I think Quentin Defense make reasonably priced billet uppers and Les Baer makes really nice forged uppers if billet isn't required.

If you have trouble finding a Vltor, you have options.

I agree that a BCG is probably a good starting place. Shop for quality and read reviews. I have seen some carriers with fancy coatings that are reasonably priced so consider everything if the price is right.

If you intend to shoot with irons a lot, folding sights are not the most versatile, I would look for something like an LMT cut down carry handle style A2 rear sight and a rail height fixed front sight like a DD, POF, YHM, etc. If you intend to move them from primary sight to BUIS role, folders are fine.

With Obama doing his firearm salesman of the year job last night, you might want to buy a lot of the little things to finish it first. Those were hard to chase down during Obama mania and might become scarce again. Gas block, gas tube, barrel nut (if needed).

OverUnderClays
10-17-2012, 1:26 PM
With Obama doing his firearm salesman of the year job last night, you might want to buy a lot of the little things to finish it first. Those were hard to chase down during Obama mania and might become scarce again. Gas block, gas tube, barrel nut (if needed).

+1 to that. Get your parts where you can, and look hard for those deals, they are out there.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-17-2012, 2:01 PM
Order the barrel now. It will provethe hardest to acquire.

AlliedArmory
10-17-2012, 2:03 PM
Get the barrel, lower + lpk, stock kit now. Those are the items that will be hard to get just like in 2008.

Expect another rise in ammo costs too.

smittty
10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I would buy a complete upper from a decent manufacturer and be done with it.

A lower is much simpler to build and you don't need as many specialty tools, actually if you go with a fixed stock you don't need any special tools.

At events I've been to the only failures I've seen were on DIY uppers. Just last month I saw 2 uppers fail, one lost a forward assist pin and the other lost the mag release pin. Both were home built.

judgedrift
10-18-2012, 5:59 AM
I would buy a complete upper from a decent manufacturer and be done with it.

A lower is much simpler to build and you don't need as many specialty tools, actually if you go with a fixed stock you don't need any special tools.

At events I've been to the only failures I've seen were on DIY uppers. Just last month I saw 2 uppers fail, one lost a forward assist pin and the other lost the mag release pin. Both were home built.

I would if I could but I can't afford it at this time. Also I haven't been able to find a completed upper that has the features I want.

bobgengeskahn
10-18-2012, 6:06 AM
I just got this in the mail, took about a week, and core15 has a no BS lifetime warranty: http://www.core15.com/products/parts/upper-parts/bcgs-a-charging-handles.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_color_plus.tpl&product_id=116&category_id=23

smittty
10-18-2012, 7:37 AM
I would if I could but I can't afford it at this time. Also I haven't been able to find a completed upper that has the features I want.

In that case I suggest saving and setting the money aside for it.

There are many companies that offer many variations of uppers and I'm sure you can find exactly what you want. Most of them will do a much better job of assembling it than the DIY'er and they warranty it.

I also found that it costs less to get a complete upper than piecing it together.

Good luck,

badreligion
10-18-2012, 7:39 AM
Looking at your list of parts I would suggest getting a quality BCG first, they are selling out quickly when in stock. Then order your barrel as that will take several weeks for them to make and send to you. The BattleComp 1.0 sell out very quickly so be prepared to buy when you find it in stock. Gas blocks can be difficult to find depending on which brand your looking for. The rest of your parts should be pretty easy to find and are normally in stock.

Don't be affraid to shop all over the place. I am just finishing up buying parts for an 18" build and many times found parts that saved me a few bucks when you figured in shipping, tax and discount codes. The lowest price may not be the cheapest.

snowdog650
10-18-2012, 8:25 AM
BCG

judgedrift
10-18-2012, 9:01 AM
Got an email saying that BCM had BCG back in stock. My wallet is a little lighter this morning.:whistling:. I will post parts as I get them if you guys are interested. So what you you guys think I should get next?
Parts I have:
Completed lower.
BCM BCG.

bender152
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
At this point in time, of the items remaining in your list, the barrel will be the most difficult to find. WOA barrels are not always readily available, there's usually a wait for them.

Again, that's at this point in time. I can't predict what will happen after elections.

762.DEFENSE
10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Get the barrel, lower + lpk, stock kit now. Those are the items that will be hard to get just like in 2008.

Expect another rise in ammo costs too.

Exactly.

wash
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Barrel, gas block, gas tube, gas tube roll pin, maybe a barrel nut should be next.

A muzzle device will always be available and isn't required for completion.

After you've got the stuff I mentioned, I would look at uppers and handguards.

If uppers seem available and handguards seem hard to get, going for the handguard first might make sense. If handguards seem readily available, get the upper and your assembly will be almost ready to go (just add barrel nut/delta ring, handguards and handguard retainer if you can't get the free float).

Barkfire
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Which BCG is better Spike's Tactical M16/AR15 BCG (223/5.56) -HPT/MPI Phosphate Finish http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SP-ST5BG01 or BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm Both have great reviews and I am ready to get one ordered. Thanks for any input you may have.

cundiff5535
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Which BCG is better Spike's Tactical M16/AR15 BCG (223/5.56) -HPT/MPI Phosphate Finish http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SP-ST5BG01 or BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm Both have great reviews and I am ready to get one ordered. Thanks for any input you may have.

I was asking this question a few weeks back... I asked on several forums, not just here... 98% of people said BCM over any other BCG out there...

I bought two!

I do own one Fail Zero BCG and I really like it as well but, for the money just get the BCM BCG.

judgedrift
10-18-2012, 1:29 PM
Barrel, gas block, gas tube, gas tube roll pin, maybe a barrel nut should be next.

I will probably try to order the gas block,gas tube,and gas tube roll pin payday. I am thinking of ordering some LPKs for my 2 year old son's and 6 day old daughter's lowers :D.

bender152
10-18-2012, 1:31 PM
Do you plan on building this yourself? Do you have the tools to do so? You may need to add those to your list as well.

bender152
10-18-2012, 1:33 PM

I've had good experiences with both and would have no trouble using either. Unfortunately, they both appear to be sold out.

(The BCM's seem to be going in and out of stock. Earlier today they had less than 5. Now, they have plenty.)

sunborder
10-18-2012, 1:35 PM
IMHO, those parts WILL be available after a likely ban. Lower receivers, however, will not be so easy to acquire, and should be at the top of your list if you have any interest in having more rifles down the line.

That said, do any of you think that Obama is going to be able to push any kind of federal legislation through both houses? Get real. The gun store owners are loving this one. If the dems were looking to have control of both houses, this would be a different conversation, of course.

Will there be a likely increase in cost and decrease in availability due to ridiculous panic? Yep. Bans on anything? Seems doubtful.

judgedrift
10-18-2012, 1:40 PM
I am really more concerned with getting the parts together in a timely manner to have them in case prices shoot up or parts become way too hard to find. As for putting everything together my self I haven't decided yet.

Barkfire
10-18-2012, 2:02 PM
I was asking this question a few weeks back... I asked on several forums, not just here... 98% of people said BCM over any other BCG out there...

I bought two!

I do own one Fail Zero BCG and I really like it as well but, for the money just get the BCM BCG.

Thanks...just ordered one! And they still show them in stock.

judgedrift
10-18-2012, 2:11 PM
Will there be a likely increase in cost and decrease in availability due to ridiculous panic? Yep. Bans on anything? Seems doubtful.

Thats what I am thinking too but I would like to be able to complete at least my rifle in the next few months. As it stands everyone in my household will have their own AR. My wife has a Colt,and my kids and I have lowers. But once prices go up they almost never come down to the original prices.

wash
10-18-2012, 2:16 PM
Obama mania spiked prices a lot but they came back down.

AKs and Siagas didn't come back down all the way but the AR stuff did.

Barkfire
10-18-2012, 3:32 PM
Keeping in mind that this is somewhat new to me, why do some BCG show the caliber and some (BCM) don't. The one I ordered is http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm and I cannot see any caliber listed.

sunborder
10-18-2012, 3:39 PM
Thats what I am thinking too but I would like to be able to complete at least my rifle in the next few months. As it stands everyone in my household will have their own AR. My wife has a Colt,and my kids and I have lowers. But once prices go up they almost never come down to the original prices.

Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get caught with complete rifles, wishing you had more you could build down the line, even as unlikely as I find that scenario.

wash
10-18-2012, 4:17 PM
Keeping in mind that this is somewhat new to me, why do some BCG show the caliber and some (BCM) don't. The one I ordered is http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm and I cannot see any caliber listed.
The standard caliber for the AR15 is 5.56*45, if there is no caliber listed, it's either 5.56 or just a bolt carrier with no bolt.

An AR chambered in 7.62*39, 6.8 SPC or .458 SOCOM has a different bolt to accommodate a bigger case head.

An AR chambered in 6.5 Grendle uses a 7.62*39 bolt because that's the grendle's parent case.

Barkfire
10-18-2012, 6:00 PM
The standard caliber for the AR15 is 5.56*45, if there is no caliber listed, it's either 5.56 or just a bolt carrier with no bolt.

An AR chambered in 7.62*39, 6.8 SPC or .458 SOCOM has a different bolt to accommodate a bigger case head.

An AR chambered in 6.5 Grendle uses a 7.62*39 bolt because that's the grendle's parent case.

Thanks, kinda what I figured but wanted to make sure.