PDA

View Full Version : SVT-40, which direction does the brass eject to?

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm asking my fellow SVT-40 owners which direction does your SVT-40 eject the brass to. I plan on mounting a scope that goes right on top of where the brass would eject so I want to make sure the brass isn't going to hit the scope after every shot. If the brass ejects to the side I should be okay.

Thanks!

Powerkraut
10-17-2012, 12:40 AM
I'll tell ya right now that a scope is pointless on one of those. The casings eject wherever they damn well please and the gas system in tempermental at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the rifle, but accuracy is not it's strong suit.

This was my favorite jam (FTE?) so far:
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/P0w3rkr4u7/D630DDD1-A7FE-42BF-8420-FCA8F0FDD38C-57070-000047C0698107F1_zps97ee0c06.jpg

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 8:10 AM
I'll tell ya right now that a scope is pointless on one of those. The casings eject wherever they damn well please and the gas system in tempermental at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the rifle, but accuracy is not it's strong suit.

This was my favorite jam (FTE?) so far:

Dang. I've heard that it's not the most accurate rifle but then again I am not thee best rifle man. I'm happy as long as I can hit a 3" target at 50 yards. Do you think a red dot or a compact 3x scope would work well instead of investing in a good scope?

Noonanda
10-17-2012, 8:20 AM
they will eject out at 2-3 oclock. They are accurate enough for man sized targets, I bought a extra top cover and mounted a weaver rail to mine, this way there were no permenant mods to the gun.

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 8:26 AM
they will eject out at 2-3 oclock. They are accurate enough for man sized targets, I bought a extra top cover and mounted a weaver rail to mine, this way there were no permenant mods to the gun.

That's the same setup I have. What optic did you mount on it?

Calplinker
10-17-2012, 9:01 AM
Mine ejects around 1-2 o'clock sideways, so it usually tosses the cases out in front of me.

Mine also seems to be reasonably accurate. I didn't have much difficulty in whacking a 12X12 steel plate at 110 yards even with these old eyes.

They are a fun gun to shoot, but you already know that.

For large caliber semi auto C&R with good accuracy, you might consider a Hakim. Mine is very accurate and also the loudest gun I've ever heard detonate. ;)

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 9:38 AM
Mine ejects around 1-2 o'clock sideways, so it usually tosses the cases out in front of me.

Mine also seems to be reasonably accurate. I didn't have much difficulty in whacking a 12X12 steel plate at 110 yards even with these old eyes.

They are a fun gun to shoot, but you already know that.

For large caliber semi auto C&R with good accuracy, you might consider a Hakim. Mine is very accurate and also the loudest gun I've ever heard detonate. ;)

Okay ejection doesn't seem like an issue but I think a 12" long 2.5-10x scope is
an overkill for this rifle. Primary Arms has a 3x illuminated compact scope at only 5.5" long. I think that will be the perfect fit taken eye relief into account.

What do you guys think?

Calplinker
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
My advice is to make sure whatever scope you have has a good warranty as it'll get beat up pretty good by the recoil.

How are you mounting it? Do you have the sniper rail and associated mount? I have the rail and have contemplated buying an aftermarket mount made for it and putting a scope on.

EDIT - Just realized that you're mounting it off the rear sight since it'll be where the brass ejects.

I'd just go with a scope that gives you the magnification you want. A fixed power scope is usually more recoil resistent. usually, but not always.

Noonanda
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
That's the same setup I have. What optic did you mount on it?

a old 4x I had laying around, it is maybe 6 inches long. eye relief was a little to short. a red dot would have been better but defeats the purpsoe of the long range shooting

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
My advice is to make sure whatever scope you have has a good warranty as it'll get beat up pretty good by the recoil.

How are you mounting it? Do you have the sniper rail and associated mount? I have the rail and have contemplated buying an aftermarket mount made for it and putting a scope on.

EDIT - Just realized that you're mounting it off the rear sight since it'll be where the brass ejects.

I'd just go with a scope that gives you the magnification you want. A fixed power scope is usually more recoil resistent. usually, but not always.

I'm probably going to throw a primary arms 3x fixed magnification scope on it. The mount is only 3.5" only so it'll fit the my mount without it hanging over where the brass would eject. Anything with a variable magnification or higher magnification is going to be too long and the eye relief won't work.

a old 4x I had laying around, it is maybe 6 inches long. eye relief was a little to short. a red dot would have been better but defeats the purpsoe of the long range shooting

The PA 3x compact scope I'm looking at has a 3.5" eye relief which should work with where my eyes would be when shooting. The scope itself is 5.5" but the mount is only 3.5". I'll post a picture of it once I get it done.

Powerkraut
10-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Dang. I've heard that it's not the most accurate rifle but then again I am not thee best rifle man. I'm happy as long as I can hit a 3" target at 50 yards. Do you think a red dot or a compact 3x scope would work well instead of investing in a good scope?

I think that any slight improvement you might notice would not be worth the massive amount you would devalue your rifle by adding mounts.

They're fun guns to be sure, but they overheat and tend to beat themselves to pieces. Have fun with it as a range toy and find something else to put money into.

JackRydden224
10-17-2012, 11:59 PM
I think that any slight improvement you might notice would not be worth the massive amount you would devalue your rifle by adding mounts.

They're fun guns to be sure, but they overheat and tend to beat themselves to pieces. Have fun with it as a range toy and find something else to put money into.

You are right on about the heat. I fired 30 rounds and the gas block got pretty hot. It look a while for it to cool down. As for the mount it's a screw on so there is no permanent modification to the rifle. It only takes four screws and two cross bars. A $180 scope is all I'm going to spend.

I plan on putting some money on a PWS T3 Summit rifle (fancy 10/22) which I plan on shooting with as much accuracy as I can. The SVT is like you said, a fun, loud range toy.

Calplinker
10-18-2012, 8:35 AM
You can also try a scout or pistol scope if you want. I have a cheap, 2-7X mounted on the forward rail on my M1A Scout. It's a pistol scope and the eye relief is just right. After hundreds of rounds, it has held up just fine.

JackRydden224
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
You can also try a scout or pistol scope if you want. I have a cheap, 2-7X mounted on the forward rail on my M1A Scout. It's a pistol scope and the eye relief is just right. After hundreds of rounds, it has held up just fine.

That might be too much eye relief lol.

I'm gonna pick up a cheap Chinese scope to get out the dimensions and eye relief first.