View Full Version : Cooper 6.5 vs. Savage 6.5 say it aint so !

10-16-2012, 7:55 PM
I own a Savage long range tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has the E R Shaw barrel. My shooting buddy just bought the rifle that I wanted to buy but didn't spend the money to do so, a Cooper 6.5 Creedmoor, 26" stainless heavy barrel. Well, we took them to the range for a accuracy comparison. To cut to the results, the Savage shot one hole less than 1/4 groups while the Cooper shot 1/2 groups. Those groups are good, but failed to meet or beat the Savage. I guess my lesson here is learning that spending more more does not necessarily mean getting more accuracy. As you can imagine, I am truly disappointed that my dream rifle is not for me. For now, I will stick with my Savage ugly stick

10-16-2012, 7:58 PM
Try reloading and the results may change.

10-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Oh heck, you know I tried all kinds of proven reloads thru it.

I can't believe it either, but the Cooper is sub-par.

10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
You are not the only one. Coopers are beautiful rifles, if you put a decent barrel on a Savage it will shoot circles around a Cooper, heck, as you've seen, even a barrel that is not a Lilja. Even factory Savage barrels are not bad.

I have a factory Savage 308 that came with a tupperware stock. Ditched the stock for a H&S and added a CDI bottom metal. Will outshoot my friend's 700 that he put in a AICS 2.0 for half the price.

David Addler
10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Started shooting rifle again last November after a 30 year lay-off and purchased a Savage 10 flcp-k in .308. Fantastic accuracy out of the box! So much so I ordered the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor from the Savage Custom Shop a couple of months ago. Barrel is now broken in and I have no 5 shot strings over 1/2 MOA at ANY distance shot so far- 100, 200 or 300 yards with factory ammo. For the money, I'll take a Savage every day of the week and the 6.5 Creedmoor is everything I expected it to be. I'm sure handloading will only improve on these results.