PDA

View Full Version : Installed a Geissele SSA-E... what a difference!

HermanH
10-16-2012, 8:47 PM
On the "Handgun" forum, I had posted about some trigger pull measurements I took after getting a Wheeler Trigger Scale last week. After doing all my handguns, I decided to test my 3 rifles and the Colt LE6920 was by far the worst, showing pulls as low as 6 lbs. but a couple at 8 lbs and a couple past the scales 8 lb. maximum. The "average" turned in at 7.6 lbs. Here are the numbers:

6.00, 7.31, 6.44, 6.31, 7.32, 6.88, 7.50, 8.00, 7.88, 6.63, 8.00. Avg. 7.60 lbs.

So in went the Geissele and from the get go, I knew this was a completely different feel compared to any of my rifles and felt damn near my 627+PC and Thompson.

So I took my scale out and did a total of 14 pulls and here are the results:

3 lbs. 6 oz ( 3.375 )
3 lbs. 13 oz. ( 3.8125 )
3 lbs. 14 oz. ( 3.875 )
3 lbs. 12 oz. ( 3.75 )
3 lbs. 10 oz. ( 3.625 )
3 lbs. 13 oz. ( 3.8125 )
3 lbs. 10 oz. ( 3.625 )
3 lbs. 8 oz. ( 3.5 )
3 lbs. 6 oz. ( 3.375 )
3 lbs. 8 oz. ( 3.5 )
3 lbs. 11 oz. ( 3.6875 )
3 lbs. 8 oz. ( 3.5 )
3 lbs. 8 oz. ( 3.5 )
3 lbs. 8 oz. ( 3.5 )

Average: 3.6027 lbs. (approx. 3 lbs. 9.75 oz.)

This represents a greater than 50% reduction from the 7.60 lb. average, and is on par with the Thompon Contender ( avg. 3.69 lb. ) but the Geissele showed a number of times a 3.5 lbs or lower, whereas the Contender was more consistent at over 3.6 lbs. but never got any lower.

Will try to hit the range this weekend to see how this changes things. Here's a couple of pics of the Geissele:

http://home.comcast.net/~a5afterb5/images/Firearms/geissele_001.JPG

Top: Original Colt trigger and hammer
http://home.comcast.net/~a5afterb5/images/Firearms/geissele_002.JPG

SactoPlinker
10-16-2012, 8:57 PM
I have one, its very nice to shoot with :) i think you'll be very happy. though for my next ar i want to try the SD-E, flat blade intrigues me...

tanakasan
10-16-2012, 8:58 PM
Good choice...they are pricey but sweet! Not only a lower pull weight, but a completely different feel...smoooth and crisp!

I waffled about getting an SD-3G but finally did. Its great! I am getting the itch to do either an SSA-E or SD-E for another rifle.

Congrats!

Robert

Dinosaur Jr
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Awesome upgrade! Does it have that crisp "candy cane" break?
You're not helping my GAS for a SSA to drop in my bushy...

SactoPlinker
10-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Awesome upgrade! Does it have that crisp "candy cane" break?
You're not helping my GAS for a SSA to drop in my bushy...

yeah candy cane or icicle i guess, its very crisp. one you pull up the first stage you know exactly when its going to break.

cfusionpm
10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Haven't shot an SSA-E, but my SSA is already amazing. I can't imagine it being much better than that.

saki302
10-17-2012, 12:06 AM
The Giessele triggers are deceptive- their smoothness makes them feel much lighter than they really are.

Very very well made.

-Dave

DPmax
10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
I have a SD-E in my LWRC REPR, amazing trigger, worth every penny.
If you're at Burro Canyon on a Friday and you see a guy in a red or orange shirt with a REPR come over and introduce yourself if you want to try the trigger for a few rounds.

I always wear red or orange on a public outdoor range... last thing I want to do is blend in with the surroundings!

jingerale
10-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Haven't shot an SSA-E, but my SSA is already amazing. I can't imagine it being much better than that.

oh it can. :D

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 1:45 AM
You made a fine choice =)

I went with the SD-E, awsome trigger, one of the best AR upgrades ive done to date.

Quinc
10-17-2012, 8:54 AM
Wait tell you try the their National Match trigger! :D

08GTCS
10-17-2012, 9:19 AM
I can't decide whether to get the SSA or to spend the extra $30 and get the SSA-E. Everything I read is pushing me to get the SSA-E though.

HKDoc
10-17-2012, 9:23 AM
Great data. Nothing better to prove a point.

Thanks for the info.

Quinc
10-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I can't decide whether to get the SSA or to spend the extra $30 and get the SSA-E. Everything I read is pushing me to get the SSA-E though.

I have the NM on my long range AR and the SSA on my tactical AR. The SSA is more then enough for a typical tacticool AR15. I would get the SSA-E if you also planned on using it for long range bench rest type shooting.

Mighty J ho
10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I just installed the ssa-e a couple days ago. Little pricey but it's worth it!

HermanH
10-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I have the NM on my long range AR and the SSA on my tactical AR. The SSA is more then enough for a typical tacticool AR15. I would get the SSA-E if you also planned on using it for long range bench rest type shooting.

I would agree with that selection process but my "plan" is to build up a dedicated 2nd upper for range (beyond 100 yards) with a scope so it'll be used in both configurations, so I went with the SSA-E, otherwise, if I went only with the standard M4 carbine setup, I would probably have went with the standard SSA and it STILL would have been on par with my 1911. Based on my series of measurements, my Colt will have the best trigger as of today. Hopefully, when I put a 1,000 rounds through the 627,things might get a little better for the pistol group (only 250 rounds through it so far in two sessions.)

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 1:00 PM
Wait tell you try the their National Match trigger! :D

I think you mean their High Speed Match?

And yes.... THAT or the High Speed DMR are my two favorite triggers to date.

Its actually the same trigger with a different spring set...

Quinc
10-17-2012, 1:15 PM
I think you mean their High Speed Match?

And yes.... THAT or the High Speed DMR are my two favorite triggers to date.

Its actually the same trigger with a different spring set...

That's what I meant! I must have been thinking about my Colt national match gold cup. :o

0351USMC
10-17-2012, 1:43 PM
KNS anti rotation pins okay to use w/geissele trigger system?

NHP1127
10-17-2012, 1:48 PM
Stupid question for a trigger noobie in the Southbay / Torrance area. Is there a shop(s) where you can try (dry fire) all the different models?

0351USMC
10-17-2012, 1:52 PM
Stupid question for a trigger noobie in the Southbay / Torrance area. Is there a shop(s) where you can try (dry fire) all the different models?

riflegear

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 1:53 PM
KNS anti rotation pins okay to use w/geissele trigger system?

They should be fine, but Geissele include good quality pins with their kits anyways, I just use what they supply, plus I have never had a NEED for anti-rotation pins.

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 1:57 PM

Rifle gear would probably be closest… but I would call and ask to make sure they have em so you can try… Keep in mind Geissele makes like 10 different AR trigger sets.

I had a chance to try them at the range when I saw other people using their trigger groups. It’s easy to spot someone with a SD series or High Speed series trigger just be looking at it. Just ask nice =)

1lostinspace
10-17-2012, 2:00 PM
I got one as well but RR are cheaper and do the same

Tier One Arms
10-17-2012, 2:02 PM
Here is what Bill Geissele has to say about using KNS pins with his triggers:

"Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up."

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 2:19 PM
I got one as well but RR are cheaper and do the same

I have a RRA 2 Stage NM trigger… they are not the same… If you shoot RRA 2 Stage and SD-E long enough side by side the difference is pretty big.

The RRA 2nd stage break is close to the SSA trigger if anything, and still feels heavier @ around 4.5-5 lb

Even tho the RRA NM and SSA may be somewhat similar, it’s the finer points of the trigger that make the difference. Best way I can describe is the Geissele is just more refined overall. It’s like comparing a bottle of scotch with one being aged for a longer time ;)

AlliedArmory
10-17-2012, 2:23 PM
Geissele makes awesome triggers! Glad you like yours, I love mine!

NHP1127
10-17-2012, 2:43 PM
Rifle gear would probably be closest… but I would call and ask to make sure they have em so you can try… Keep in mind Geissele makes like 10 different AR trigger sets.

I had a chance to try them at the range when I saw other people using their trigger groups. It’s easy to spot someone with a SD series or High Speed series trigger just be looking at it. Just ask nice =)

Thanks for the reply. My stock Colt trigger is really heavy. It only has a couple hundred rounds thru the gun but I don't think it will lighten up too much more. Would like to try out their combat or three gun triggers....

ExtremeX
10-17-2012, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. My stock Colt trigger is really heavy. It only has a couple hundred rounds thru the gun but I don't think it will lighten up too much more. Would like to try out their combat or three gun triggers....

Triggers can become an expensive obsession, you have been warned.

Geissele will whole heartedly recommend against the 3 gun trigger for anything duty or self-defense… and after using one I can see why.

I am more of a bench rest shooter and casual target shooter, so the SD-E has become my general purpose trigger and the High Speed series on my bench guns…

I love the 3 gun trigger they make, Wilson Combat makes one similar and I think it’s better, but it’s also more expensive. Compared to the rest of their offerings the 3gun is very unique, it’s really fun to shoot with, fast, short reset, but I don’t like it for target work. There is no real 1st stage and 2nd stage “wall” take up in the trigger; it just breaks in mid pull.

I recommend you try both just to see what it’s like, but if I could own only ONE trigger or it you only have one AR, I would strongly suggest the SD-C/SSA or SD-E/SSA-E . The High Speed and 3 Gun are too specialized to use on a general purpose rifle… but that’s MY OPINION

cabinetguy
10-17-2012, 4:05 PM
I have nothing bad to say about geiselle triggers, I can only reccomend them

1lostinspace
10-17-2012, 4:32 PM
I have a RRA 2 Stage NM trigger… they are not the same… If you shoot RRA 2 Stage and SD-E long enough side by side the difference is pretty big.

The RRA 2nd stage break is close to the SSA trigger if anything, and still feels heavier @ around 4.5-5 lb

Even tho the RRA NM and SSA may be somewhat similar, it’s the finer points of the trigger that make the difference. Best way I can describe is the Geissele is just more refined overall. It’s like comparing a bottle of scotch with one being aged for a longer time ;)

Checked again and yup I have a SSA

Quinc
10-17-2012, 4:37 PM
Here is what Bill Geissele has to say about using KNS pins with his triggers:

"Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heati treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up."

Pm Tier One Arms if you want a Geissele trigger. Best price and quickest shipping you will find.

tanakasan
10-17-2012, 6:21 PM
Triggers can become an expensive obsession, you have been warned.

Geissele will whole heartedly recommend against the 3 gun trigger for anything duty or self-defense… and after using one I can see why.

I am more of a bench rest shooter and casual target shooter, so the SD-E has become my general purpose trigger and the High Speed series on my bench guns…

I love the 3 gun trigger they make, Wilson Combat makes one similar and I think it’s better, but it’s also more expensive. Compared to the rest of their offerings the 3gun is very unique, it’s really fun to shoot with, fast, short reset, but I don’t like it for target work. There is no real 1st stage and 2nd stage “wall” take up in the trigger; it just breaks in mid pull.

I recommend you try both just to see what it’s like, but if I could own only ONE trigger or it you only have one AR, I would strongly suggest the SD-C/SSA or SD-E/SSA-E . The High Speed and 3 Gun are too specialized to use on a general purpose rifle… but that’s MY OPINION

^^QFT! Well said.

And +1 for Tier One!

Robert