View Full Version : Are M&P15 Sports, DPMS, Del-Tons, and PSAs the 90s Honda Civics

Mossy Man
10-16-2012, 7:25 PM
Of today's AR world?

The 90's Honda Civics of the era were cheap cars that people would pay little for, and spent buttloads of money on aftermarket parts that may or may not have generated actual gains. This effect was called "ricing" up your Civic.

I know I'm guilty of "ricing" up my M&P15 Sport quite a bit, with different accessories that I've bought and used, switched to and from, etc. ranging from very useful and functional mods/parts to purely cosmetic.

10-16-2012, 7:29 PM
Not sure about this analogy, though. A stock or 'riced out Del-ton will still shoot and kill. A stock or riced out Honda/import is just a waste of time...

Mossy Man
10-16-2012, 7:31 PM
Not sure about this analogy, though. A stock or 'riced out Del-ton will still shoot and kill. A stock or riced out Honda/import is just a waste of time...

well, depends on whats in it.

Some of those turbo b18s and k20s could get into the 10s...

of course they lasted about 500 miles and cost way more than the worth they yielded.

10-16-2012, 7:56 PM
Some of those cars still run today. So hopefully they're just reliable because I just picked the M&P....

10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Out of the ones in the title, I'd go with the PSAs and M&Ps.

Of course (and this applies to ricers as well) with all the coin you sink in to the gun, why not just save up and get a nice one?

10-17-2012, 9:04 AM
YES you ARE 100% CORRECT. Cheap entry level stuff.

10-17-2012, 9:22 AM
Yesterday's ricers = today's mall ninja

10-17-2012, 9:36 AM
Aren't you "ricing" up ANY firearm if you are buying accessories for it that don't make it function any better, whether it is an entry-level rifle or a top-of-the-line rifle?

10-17-2012, 9:46 AM
I see what you mean, but don't agree with the connection. PSA and most the others are built to mil specs (with the exception of pot metal stuff). I would say NFA style stuff fits your comparison a bit better

10-17-2012, 9:53 AM
Bad analogy. But creative though ....

10-17-2012, 10:47 AM

QFT!! Pretty much sums it up.

10-17-2012, 12:12 PM
So what does it mean when you buy a PSA rifle and run the hell out of it without "rice"?

10-17-2012, 1:19 PM
I'mma gonna put on some go fast stickers when my PSA gets here. And a wing that looks like a shpping cart handle connected to a BUIS.... and find the fattest loudest brake that makes it sound like a weed whacker.

I'm gonna hookup with SO MANY CHICKS when its done!!!

10-17-2012, 1:31 PM
Don't forget to slap up stickers on the side of the AR that show where all your parts came from. :laugh:

10-17-2012, 2:26 PM
You should color fill your selector markings while you're at it.

10-17-2012, 2:31 PM

10-17-2012, 2:38 PM
I have an M&P-15 Sport, and I put a good portion of aftermarket accessories on. Not everyone can afford $1000-$2000+ rifles for recreational use that quite frankly are mostly just a name. My rifle cost $714 with tax and DROS. For my uses, it does more than fine. In fact, try finding negative reviews about it on the internet? I have shot it at 100% reliability even with crappy old russian ammo. Other than people throwing a fit about no forward assist or dustcover (Most of my buddies in the military have not even touched the forward assist in 40k+ rounds), there really is no decrease in reliabilities. "Ricing" it up is an overly derogative term. Customizing for person comfort and functionality would be a better analogy. So you can go ahead and spend $2000 on a (Insert overpriced brand here), and then put your aftermarket parts on, but I will have a fully customized gun for still under $800 than your original purchase price. That means both of our rifles have pretty much the same reliability, and instead I can go buy an AK pattern rifle/ammo for it, and still have spent less than total cost of ownership. "Touche"

10-17-2012, 3:01 PM
All of those rifles you named are all still quality uppers. All milspec and hardened appropriately.
I dont know why one would think they are not good to go.
DPMS makes quality uppers and barrels. So does DTI and M&P.
Majority of ARs, barrels etc are produced by the same maker.
For example Continental Machine makes ARs for a ton of companies from your average joe's AR to some of the most popular brands.

I dont see any difference in any makers upper reciever unless it was billet. One ofbthe most importa
nt is barrel selection. I tend to be very selective with my barrels on my personal ARs. I also love some of the stainless barrels produced by DTi, they are pretty damn accurate with just iron sights.

Heres a DPMS mini SASS:

Of all the AR manufacturers you have listed above all make fine ARs. I have never handled a PSA nor have i seen one featured in Tactical Life Mag.

10-17-2012, 3:15 PM
I have a M&P Sport, a DPMS, and a NFA.......they all function great and shoot well beyond my skill level.......then again I am more of a Ford truck kind of guy and not a BMW, Lexus, kind of guy.

Mossy Man
10-17-2012, 3:26 PM
Dont get me wrong.... I love my M&P Sport. I was just looking at some parallels.