PDA

View Full Version : Front post recommendation for old eyes

Ventura_Yak'r
10-16-2012, 2:00 PM
Eyes just aren't what they use to be. Any recommendations for an AR-15 front post sight?

chozenfew805
10-16-2012, 3:02 PM
I looked into this as well when I was building my AR because my vision isn't all that great either. There's Meprolight, Tapco Colored Front Sight, or buy some paint and paint the tip of the post.

cpatbay
10-16-2012, 3:06 PM
Get a pair of prescription glasses or you can go with red dot.

russ69
10-16-2012, 3:25 PM
A small rear aperture will increase the depth of field and allow you to focus on the front sight. A narrow front sight post also makes it easier to see your target.

IPSICK
10-16-2012, 3:29 PM
How about a globe sight?

milky
10-16-2012, 4:29 PM
Have you looked at xssights.com. They offer a variety of front sight post, though I don't believe that is the cheapest option. I recently purchased the xs 24/7 front sight post ($54). They also offer two other tritium dot post (big dot, standard dot), and two posts with white stripe only (.80, & .100 wide). From xs sight the standard dot is for intermediate range, big dot is for close range, and the 24/7 is for long range (I am also aware that these claims are a marketing ploy)

I have not received my fsp yet so I can't say for certain that it isn't a complete waste of money (reviews I have read have been good).

slo5oh
10-16-2012, 4:56 PM
Ventura, is your problem seeing the front post because it's dark? Or is it blurry from focusing that close?
I have a slight stigmatism so things go a tad whacky for me.
I've found that a few minutes with a bottle of white out can make a huge difference on standard sights. Play with it until you find a look you like.

Hoop
10-16-2012, 5:06 PM
Why not buy one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_scope

OldShooter32
10-16-2012, 5:13 PM
I put a globe on my M1A when my depth of focus faded...helps a lot. A merit disk helps on the rear sight since you can dial it down as small as light will allow.

jamesob
10-16-2012, 6:42 PM
Anti aircraft sights work pretty good for old eyes.

ocabj
10-16-2012, 7:04 PM
Going narrower on the sight post is probably the worst thing you can do. Stick to a traditional milspec front post or if you have to shoot a tapered NM, stick with the wider options like a .072".

I had cataract surgery back in 2002 before I was shooting competitive High Power. The replacement lens in my eye resulted in my vision to be exactly in focus at the distance of where my front sight post is on an AR (or most any other rifle with a front sight). My vision blurs out beyond that and before that. Here's the kicker: I shoot uncorrected. Even out to 600 yards, where I can't even make out target black without glasses, I can still shoot perfectly fine when I use a .038" rear aperture.

So you should try to correct your vision to see the front sight post. If you're not like me where you need correction both ways, you should be fine. Otherwise, you'll want to correct to see the front sight post, then use the rear aperture size to adjust clarity for distance (the target).

Then of course, you can always just go red dot or some other optic if you're not restricted to iron sights.

23's Dad
10-17-2012, 2:59 PM
It's a vision issue, not necessarily a sight issue. Try one of these: http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

I've got one of his lenses on my M1 and it's like night and day!