PDA

View Full Version : noob questions about AK/AR build parties.....

Squid
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
What goes on? If they are so modular and easy, why the need for 'build party'?

Is it a "swap meet" where extra parts are traded to create franken-guns?

Why do people charge money to attendees? Is "build party" some final machining required of something before it all gets slapped together?

No jokes about "what goes on" involving sheep, please.

Oh, and if something quasi-legal is going on that maybe shouldn't be openly referred to,,, cough twice, then sneeze.

readysetgo
10-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Why do people charge money to attendees? Is "build party" some final machining required of something before it all gets slapped together?

Oh, and if something quasi-legal is going on that maybe shouldn't be openly referred to,,, cough twice, then sneeze.

Not sure if you're being serious?!?!

69mach1 tutorial here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292985

Any charges would be because you're using somebody's tools/parts and making a mess etc etc.

You need to research much much more!

Squid
10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I was wondering if there was some particular special tool or process that most owners can't just do on their coffee table, hence the need to "party"....like a barn raising but different.

Is it just to swap tips and info mostly, and have at least a couple people who know WTF they are doing?

Is there normally a good variety of parts for sale/swap, in case someone forgets something?

desertjosh
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Im trying to learn too. So far Ive learned whatever you do, dont call a AK reciever a lower. Its much, much worse then calling a mag a clip!!

jwkincal
10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Depends on the type of build and/or which platform.

There are special tools that you'll likely need only once (AR barrel wrench, for example). If you are building an 80%, then you need something to do the milling or bending (AR or AK) with, and the good ones are digital and pretty expensive.

You could buy a stripped lower, bunch of parts, and partial upper (barrel attached) and put it all together yourself on your coffee table, too (this would be an AR) if that's really what you want.

So what do you want?

readysetgo
10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Im trying to learn too. So far Ive learned whatever you do, dont call a AK reciever a lower. Its much, much worse then calling a mag a clip!!

That's hilarious desert josh! You're a good sport.

zfields
10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I was wondering if there was some particular special tool or process that most owners can't just do on their coffee table, hence the need to "party"....like a barn raising but different.

Is it just to swap tips and info mostly, and have at least a couple people who know WTF they are doing?

Is there normally a good variety of parts for sale/swap, in case someone forgets something?

You didnt bother to read the link that was posted did you?

Squid
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
in the AK Party link for taking parts that are legal in rest of USA and making a CA legal gun? Hence all the "de-milling" etc, and discussion of "US made parts"?

HK Dave
10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
To the OP, since you don't want to click on the link provided that explains what they are... I will save you the trouble and explain it here.

Build parties are for one thing primarily... they are for getting drunk and having fun together.

They are a means of social interaction.

We get together, drink a lot of beer, cook up some bbq and then generally show off our guns.

Last build party I went to had a theme... everyone was required to dress like a ninja and play marco polo while carrying their newly finished AK/AR. It was awesome!

You really should try it!

BTW most build party hosts require new folks to dress in a kilt and do a keg stand. :D

zfields
10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
in the AK Party link for taking parts that are legal in rest of USA and making a CA legal gun? Hence all the "de-milling" etc, and discussion of "US made parts"?

an AR build party is centered around milling out 80% lowers.....most people don't have a milling machine on their coffee tables.

If you are just putting together a lower from a LPK and a completed lower....I think I have all the tools needed on my leatherman.

MrPlink
10-16-2012, 1:08 PM
Christ Almighty, quit typing and get to reading already.

Squid
10-16-2012, 1:51 PM
We talking $500 hobbyist or $15,000 unit?

And is there some reason some bubba at his apprentice machinst jig doesn't whip out these after hours at a real shop in exchange for sweeping the floors and cleaning the bathrooms?

Is there legal reason end owner does the 20%, as opposed to his buddy at the shop?

I got buddies at machine shops, but those are all hi-tech Silly-Con valley operations, not sure if boss wants home made guns coming out of shop, for ins. reasons.

zfields
10-16-2012, 1:58 PM
A) Some people do it will drill press, I haven't personally, but I have a little machining experience and I wouldn't do that.

B) I dont understand what you are asking

C)Yes, legally the owner of the lower must do the work. Even if thats as much as pressing GO on a CNC mill that has been set up.

Jason_2111
10-16-2012, 2:13 PM
For starters, AK build parties, and AR build parties are two different animals.
An entirely different tool setup is needed to do AK's versus AR's.

Most importantly, you need to do a serious amount of reading up on home-built firearms. Home building is a lot of fun, and a great hobby... but you have to know exactly where the lines are legally speaking.
For example... NO, nobody can help you manufacture a firearm. That means your buddy can't machine it for you. ONLY YOU can do the machining. Whether that means you operate the press on an AK flat, or bolt an 80% receiver into a CNC mill and push the start button... it can only be done by you.
Also of equal watch-your-*** importance is that you can only manufacture firearms for your OWN PERSONAL USE. To make firearms to sell, give away, permanently loan out, etc requires a class 7 FFL. To manufacture a firearm for anyone other than yourself (without the class 7 FFL) is a big time felony.

Fortunately, Calguns is a great resource for info on the do's and don't's of home building. Get comfy, and do a bunch of research.

eclectic
10-16-2012, 4:06 PM

Woof. Have you just been posting LOLcats? Bolded section is the dumbest thing I've heard on this forum outside of people who say "Hey, I don't own any thirty rounders, where can I find sum?"

Read a goddamned thread, man. Literally in the stickies, pretty clearly marked. And if you're not even going to do that (apparently people already took the time of posting one for you?) then don't ask Calgunners to *wink wink* you to signal that they're doing something ****ing ILLEGAL at their build parties.

vintagedude88
10-16-2012, 6:34 PM
Aren't finished receivers from a factory heat treated?

If you're building an 80% AR or bending an AK receiver from a flat, will there be some way to get it heat treated at the build party?

vintagedude88
10-16-2012, 6:35 PM
Aren't finished receivers from a factory heat treated?

If you're building an 80% AR or bending an AK receiver from a flat, will there be some way to get it heat treated at the build party?

MrPlink
10-16-2012, 7:00 PM
Ak flats should be heat treated, and as I understand it will be at a propper build party. Havent heard of it for an AR lower.

wash
10-16-2012, 7:11 PM
80% AR lowers are already heat treated.

When you see the type of aluminum an 80% is made from, there is usually a four digit number (like 7075) that describes the alloy and a two digit suffix (like T7) which describes the heat treat, the two popular choices are 7075T7 and 6061T6. There are other alloys like 356 but I haven't seen 80% receivers made with them.

Those aluminum alloys are free machining in the hardened state so there is no heat treatment required after finishing.

CK_32
10-16-2012, 7:13 PM
Don't fall for it!!!

It's just a big sweaty men book club party!!!! There's no guns!! It's all lies!!

Schutzman
10-16-2012, 8:24 PM
You dont think the host of a build party should be compensated? As already stated, an AK build is different than an AR build, an area to work, welder, sand /bead blasting, barrel pressing equipment, etc cost cash. Read the threads, instead of assuming someting is "going on".

Schutz

edrex
10-16-2012, 9:27 PM
Build parties are for one thing primarily... they are for getting drunk and having fun together.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=174580&stc=1&d=1350447987

Inquirer
10-16-2012, 9:59 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=174580&stc=1&d=1350447987

/thread.