PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP, .223/5.56

USMCM16A2
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Guys,

Picked up my Mossberg MVP in 5.56/.223 from turners yeasterday. Great fit and finish, the rifle has gotten a very good wirte-up in the gun magazines. I will use it primarilty for hunting and target shooting. I have a second one in jail at Ammo bros, 24 inch barrel. Range report Saturday, A2

gorenut
10-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I think these have a lot of promise. I just wish they also came in a nice synthetic stock rather than the weird laminate.

FeuerFrei
10-16-2012, 1:06 PM
I think it's a great rifle concept. Got a chance to handle one and I like it.
I read that the mag well is picky. Seems some poly mags won't fit. I need to check this out and varify for Magpul mags specifically.
Please post update after range trip.

ExtremeX
10-16-2012, 1:10 PM
I had a chance to check out the MVP as well, I like it, but I am waiting for some better range reports on accuracy before I get too excited about it.

I was thinking of a Tikka bolt gun in .223, until I came across the MVP.

OP, shoot some groups with good ammo and report back please!

Squid
10-16-2012, 1:35 PM
to be "scout"(even with long barrel).

I wish they would at least machine in a divot of something on the end of barrel onto which a 'universal' front sight could be easily and cheaply added...

and maybe same for rear sight.

3006mv
10-16-2012, 1:57 PM
what'd they cost you? you should convert one to .300 Whisper or blackout.

Jyruiz
10-16-2012, 3:06 PM
I think these have a lot of promise. I just wish they also came in a nice synthetic stock rather than the weird laminate.

Yup, and all black synthetic stock would be nice.

Hop Sing
10-16-2012, 4:46 PM
I got one on gunbroker with a cheap Barska 3x9x40mm scope.

Shot it at a hundred during the break in and was grouping at 1 moa with Hornady TAP.

I did not shoot that many rounds as I am still breaking it in. My second group of 5; I shot at 1.5 moa due to a flier.

This trigger is crisp, but I need to work on it a bit more.

I lapped the bolt, and put a bigger knob on the bolt handle to match my other bolt guns.
Bottom line.. for $500 bucks with the cheap scope it is pretty awesome.

The detachable mag is a cool feature that costs hundreds more to get on a Rem 700 or other rifle. Not to mention the mags are waaay cheaper than the AI mags that some kits require.

The 10 round mag was my favorite, followed by the 20 rounders. Any more than that from a bolt gun really gets to be tiresome.

I stuck a Lancer mag in it, and it worked fine. I stuck my BETA mag in it and it worked fine.

PMAGS did not work well as the mag catch does not mate up well with it due to the waffle texture on the PMAG body.

But again it's a bolt gun and high capacity for mt is anything more than 5 to 7 rounds.

The stock is ugly and the choice for after market stuff is none. I may paint it desert camo or something.

But it is a fine rifle, innovative bolt design, and shot like a champ.

Is this a sniper gun? Nope. But I could hit a coyote at 100 yrds if I needed to.

This rifle was such a hit at work, two other guys bought it, and I bought mine because another guy had his at work.

Hope this helps you guys.

Rorge Retson
10-16-2012, 5:07 PM
Pics?

Lugiahua
10-16-2012, 5:18 PM
to be "scout"(even with long barrel).

I wish they would at least machine in a divot of something on the end of barrel onto which a 'universal' front sight could be easily and cheaply added...

and maybe same for rear sight.

I think a scout rifle also must be 7mm or larger according to Jeff Cooper

CptDan
10-16-2012, 6:04 PM
You need to hit the MVP website www.mossbergmvp.com Some good info there.