PDA

View Full Version : Building A Better AR (or, "the Dream Build")

Inquirer
10-15-2012, 11:29 PM
So gents, I'm pondering a little project, and I'd like to make it a CG Community think tank.

Basically, the premise is simple: What would you change about the AR-15 to make it "Better"?

Better in this case means adding features that you think would be truly beneficial to the platform. Anything and everything is welcome here - from light integration systems to better controls to improved ergos to preferable calibers.

I'll get things started. For me, from an academic standpoint, that entails things like:

True Ambidextrous Controls: This is a must. Left-handed operators and down and out right hands need to be able to use it reliably. I find the Charging Handles on the AR system pretty lame as stock, but it can be made better pretty darn simply, IMO.
A Reliable Piston System: I think the change to Piston is a really good development. Lower maintenance, less wear, increased reliability - the Piston system just makes too much sense to ignore.
A definitive best barrel assuming a standard ammunition: You can alter the ammo choice depending on what you think is the best caliber, and the barrel length/rifling/twist accordingly.
A New Ejection System: This would be awesome to develop. For real universality with left or right handed operation, this would be a gimme so Southpaws don't have brass flying back at them, and I'm fairly confident some knowledgeable, box-busting CGer minds can come up with something clever.
The Greatest Rail System Ever: I think rails are overused, and the shift towards lighter, free-floated handguards with detachable rail panels is a really good development. A top rail that spans the length of the rifle would be beneficial in my mind, with the rest of the FF handguard tailorable with individual panels to suit the operator's needs.
Finish/Material:I like black oxide. That's all I have to say on the matter. :)

Well, that rounds out my initial thoughts on it. Let me know what you'd like to see!

Jet Setter
10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
I agree about rails being overused or overkill on most rifles. Most people don't even know what to do will all the rails but cover them. I like the style of RRA ATH Carbine fore grip. It is half grip and half rails. Much more practical and definitely not overkill.

Yerman
10-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't get it. Are you piecing together what you thing would be the best AR with off-the-shelf components or are you talking about developing a new weapon from scratch with your manufacturing and machining background?

calishine
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM
It's been virtually done already as you describe it, with exception of the left side ejection. It's called the LWRC IC:

http://www.lwrci.com/p-290-m6-individual-carbine.aspx

It's a mighty fine rifle.

FMJBT
10-16-2012, 12:14 AM
A reduced length BCG and recoil spring system contained entirely within the upper receiver, allowing for a folding stock.

Personally, I'd keep the DI system.

Integrated full length monolithic top rail set at a 10 to 20 moa incline to make the best use of optics.

Work out an automatic gas regulation system that would self adjust for optimum operation (similar to a BOV on a turbocharger)

Dust cover redesigned to snap closed after each shot.

Left handed non-reciprocating charging handle.

MrPlink
10-16-2012, 1:02 AM
Scar

HK Dave
10-16-2012, 8:47 AM
My "Premium" AR has ambidextrous controls. Mega billet lower. :)

I think Piston is a gimmick that shouldn't be in the AR design. (Piston's are great... not in an AR)

"Best Barrel" is dependent on what it's for... ie precision work I'd say something like a Rainier Ultramatch Stainless barrel... for running and gunning... maybe a Chrome Lined Noveske.

Ejection is great... wouldn't change it.

As for rails... it doesn't get lighter than DD Lite... no need to change what is already "the best".

Could care less about the finish.

In the end... what MrPlink said... stop trying to change the AR, get something else... the SCAR is what you want.

Standard
10-16-2012, 8:49 AM
Sounds like a Robinson Arms XCR to me.

CK_32
10-16-2012, 9:09 AM
You pretty much have it as far as keeping it baseline an AR stilll... But companies have already done all that..

I think we need to take the AK/AR rifle and swap everything about it they chose the worst of both platforms but I think the polar opposite would be my ideal perfect rifle... But no one make it because it probably won't work perfect as I think :D

starsnuffer
10-16-2012, 9:51 AM
So you want an HK MR556 with another hole on the left side and the new Geissele rail they have for it.

Can't help you on the extra dirt collector/ejector hole.

-W

zfields
10-16-2012, 9:58 AM
A reduced length BCG and recoil spring system contained entirely within the upper receiver, allowing for a folding stock.

Personally, I'd keep the DI system.

Integrated full length monolithic top rail set at a 10 to 20 moa incline to make the best use of optics.

Work out an automatic gas regulation system that would self adjust for optimum operation (similar to a BOV on a turbocharger)

Dust cover redesigned to snap closed after each shot.

Left handed non-reciprocating charging handle.

I think that's basically asking for FTE issues.