PDA

View Full Version : Survival specific forums

wheels
10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm going to branch out a bit and check out some other forums. Anyone have recommendations?

I don't cringe when the term SHTF is used, as surviving SHTF is the ultimate goal and test of your survival skills.

ArmedArtist
10-15-2012, 11:28 PM
AR15.com

hayaku
10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
define survival here.. like prepper crap or real survival(go out in the woods with no tools or minimal tools, build shelter, fire, hunt/trap food, understand vegetation and its uses, etc)?

if the latter, check out bushcraft forums, knife and knife use forums, and take some real survival classes... i can definitely recommend Randall's Adventure and Training (RAT) classes. you will learn a ton...

TacticalPlinker
10-16-2012, 2:31 AM
I like some of the content over at zombiehunters.org but I'm not a posting member because they have a zero tolerance policy for politics, which means no discussion of gun rights or gun laws.

If you can define a bit more what you're looking for, I can post more suggestions. Are you looking for bushcraft, bug out type gear, straight SHTF prepping & survival, tactical gear, guns & accessories???

Turk
10-16-2012, 8:46 AM
Info overload here :

http://www.survivalblog.com/

canative
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Try this site: http://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php

wheels
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input all.

AR15.com

Don't go there much - I'll check it out

define survival here.. like prepper crap or real survival(go out in the woods with no tools or minimal tools, build shelter, fire, hunt/trap food, understand vegetation and its uses, etc)?

if the latter, check out bushcraft forums, knife and knife use forums, and take some real survival classes... i can definitely recommend Randall's Adventure and Training (RAT) classes. you will learn a ton...

The scope of subjects I'd like to discuss and learn about range from bushcraft, hunting and trapping to design, security and defense of a survival retreat. Do you have a specific site on bushcraft or knife use? Sometimes google is not you friend at finding the gem in the pile of mud.

Also have advanced first aid on my to do list but the RAT classes sound like a good idea.

I like some of the content over at zombiehunters.org but I'm not a posting member because they have a zero tolerance policy for politics, which means no discussion of gun rights or gun laws.
I'm looking over zh.org
If you can define a bit more what you're looking for, I can post more suggestions. Are you looking for bushcraft, bug out type gear, straight SHTF prepping & survival, tactical gear, guns & accessories???

See above - the biggest hole is my plans & goals is if I purchase property for a survival retreat how to best design with defense as a priority

Info overload here :

http://www.survivalblog.com/

Yes - but not much discussion, I find many nuggets of information gold here on calguns because of the sheer number of posters. Of course that means you also find the members here who provide poop balls. The law of the internet.

wheels
10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Logged on them about a year back and just jumped back on the yesterday to do some reading.

I'm wheels on there, too.

sierra m37
10-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Www.preparedsociety.com

bussda
10-16-2012, 11:35 AM
http://forums.equipped.org/
or
equipped.org

problemchild
10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I would like to see a division of the current forum here into maybe 2-3 others.

Instead of outdoors-camping-shtf how about this:

Prepping and shtf
Camping & Outdoors
Hiking & Bushcraft

This would suit our needs much better here I think.

scootergmc
10-16-2012, 2:07 PM

Prepping and shtf
Camping & Outdoors
Hiking & Bushcraft

Therein lies your problem. Somehow you think SHTF is in the title of this forum. SHTF does not equal survival. There's a difference between using a compass to guide your way through the wilderness and the Greek financial meltdown and its effects on the American economy. I can't figure out why you don't spend more time in OT, where most of the threads you love are actually located.

However, I agree to the extent I'd like to see the forum just for hiking, camping, and outdoor activities. All the end of the world survival, economic doom, PMs, zombiecrap, shtf talk can have its own forum.

massraptor
10-16-2012, 2:25 PM
I appreciate what PC posts.
I also know that if I don't like something on TV I don't just sit there and suffer through.
I will turn the channel or turn it off.

If the message that PC conveys bother you so then why read it?
Does it have some truth that people don't want to recognize?

I hope that you are right, but what if just in the slightest bit he might be on to something.
To close your eyes does not make the issue go away.

People only get upset if they allow themselves to become angry.

kb58
10-16-2012, 3:10 PM
I appreciate what PC posts... If the message that PC conveys bother you so then why read it?...
Because they're so amusing, kind of like watching a slow-motion train wreck. A lot of what he posts are just cut-and-paste links from fringe blogs, then he get upset when people question the article - that he did not write.

As was said, there's survivalism, as in, "eat these plants, not those", there's outdoor stuff, like great places to camp, there's suggestions on where to hike... and then there's the "OMG, the currancy is going to collapse real soon and zombies will be wanting my food." That's something entirely different and has nothing to do with this forum.

wheels
10-16-2012, 3:11 PM
First off - first definition after a search

Survival
The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.

The issue we dance around here in this sub forum several times a month is that the "survival" in "outdoors, camping and survival" is that there are myriad conditions that could lead to a survival situation.

Prepping and shtf
Camping & Outdoors
Hiking & Bushcraft

I see your three as
Prepping and shtf - Preparation for a survival situation
Camping & Outdoors - Activity that can and has lead to a survival situation
Hiking & Bushcraft - Activity that can and has lead to a survival situation

I think the folks who report you to Kes will just thread crap more in a new subforum. I really don't understand the fascination with going into a thread you think is BS just to do the pigeon playing chess routine.

Therein lies your problem. Somehow you think SHTF is in the title of this forum. SHTF does not equal survival. There's a difference between using a compass to guide your way through the wilderness and the Greek financial meltdown and its effects on the American economy. I can't figure out why you don't spend more time in OT, where most of the threads you love are actually located.

However, I agree to the extent I'd like to see the forum just for hiking, camping, and outdoor activities. All the end of the world survival, economic doom, PMs, zombiecrap, shtf talk can have its own forum.

SHTF is not in the title of the sub forum, but SHTF will be a survival situation. Using a compass is navigation unless you life depends on your ability, then it's a survival situation. PC is banned from off topic - most threads regarding anything survival (or SHTF) related turn into a complete circle jerk in OT. I thought PC's ban had been lifted the other day when a thread of his was in OT only to realize it had been moved there.

I don't know myself if the short fuse the mod's have for PC is earned or deserved, but at least in this sub forum it seems they work within a pretty limited definition of survival.

I appreciate what PC posts.
I also know that if I don't like something on TV I don't just sit there and suffer through.
I will turn the channel or turn it off.

If the message that PC conveys bother you so then why read it?
Does it have some truth that people don't want to recognize?

I hope that you are right, but what if just in the slightest bit he might be on to something.
To close your eyes does not make the issue go away.

People only get upset if they allow themselves to become angry.

PC's posts here on gear and survival related issues are very helpful.

On the bolded - I don't understand either. Every time I go into off topic I know 50% of the threads are crap, but there are timely and interesting subjects as well. I don't feel the need to open and comment in crap threads.

Not sure the is any hope in getting a survival sub forum, unless everybody will agree that survival is a broad subject.

wheels
10-16-2012, 3:12 PM
Because they're so amusing, kind of like watching a slow-motion train wreck. A lot of what he posts are just cut-and-paste links from fringe blogs, then he get upset when people question the article - that he did not write.

As was said, there's survivalism, as in, "eat these plants, not those", there's outdoor stuff, like great places to camp, there's suggestions on where to hike... and then there's the "OMG, the currancy is going to collapse real soon and zombies will be wanting my food." That's something entirely different and has nothing to do with this forum.

And there comes the pigeon...

problemchild
10-16-2012, 4:22 PM
Everyone has their own opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.

To me (yes this is my opinion) the SHTF section of this forum is for those of us that are preppers, survivalists, doomsdayers, zombie apocalypsers etc. No one seems to have a problem with my dutch oven sourdough bread recipe but they blow a fuse over "New Walking Dead" on tonight.

This is why I said this forum should be subdivided out.

To me prepping/SHTF covers the following:

Food, canning, preserving, drying, dehydrating, salting etc food storage
Guns, ammo, scopes, knives, bows, spears and any other weapon.
Solar chargers, generators, solar panels, tri-fuel, propane, diesel etc.
Bushcraft, trapping, butchering, skinning, tanning, hiding etc.
Weapons training, skill-sets, knowledge based skills that help survival.
Land navigation, compass reading, stars etc.
Ability to build protection from the elements
Preserving wealth, gold, silver and other purchases.
Economic forecasts and economic troubles anywhere in the USA/World that could start a SHTF scenario.
Movies, tapes etc that can improve our skill set or make us think of how we would survive in a similar situ.

Man I could go on for weeks. I do not think the Owners of this forum only want us talking about shtf end of world events. Just my opinion.

---->A N D <-----

No one seems to have ANY problem with others posting ANY of the things you and your buddies get their panties in a bunch over when I post them.

Example:

I post a story about precious metals here, one of the HATERS reports it, I get banned for 3 months.
MANY others have posted PM posts here and not a word is said.

Thats one example.........

scootergmc
10-16-2012, 4:34 PM
SHTF is not in the title of the sub forum, but SHTF will be a survival situation. Using a compass is navigation unless you life depends on your ability, then it's a survival situation. PC is banned from off topic - most threads regarding anything survival (or SHTF) related turn into a complete circle jerk in OT. I thought PC's ban had been lifted the other day when a thread of his was in OT only to realize it had been moved there.

I don't know myself if the short fuse the mod's have for PC is earned or deserved, but at least in this sub forum it seems they work within a pretty limited definition of survival.

So PC's been banned from OT? I guess that explains why he posts what he does in here.

scootergmc
10-16-2012, 4:35 PM
I post a story about precious metals here, one of the HATERS reports it, I get banned for 3 months.
MANY others have posted PM posts here and not a word is said.

Thats one example.........

Don't feel special.

mindwip
10-16-2012, 4:59 PM
This turned interesting. I do this thread lies a bit on shtf and not enough camp/hiked which is sad since camperes and hikers already have a lot of the skills and stuff needed for most of the "extreme" threads in here. To get my camping/backpacking fix I go to other forms like the lightweightbackpacking forum.

Do not think there should be a camping and bushcaft sub form. They cross over too much.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 5:07 PM
So PC's been banned from OT? I guess that explains why he posts what he does in here.

Like what? I'm ALL IN on this one.

Prove ONE THING I POSTED HERE isn't part of survival/prepping/shtf

problemchild
10-16-2012, 5:12 PM
Don't feel special.

You know you and KB are always taking BACKSTABBING swipes at me.

The MODS wont do ANYTHING about your trolling backstabbing remarks.

chris
10-16-2012, 5:42 PM
i think there should a forum for this.

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 5:55 PM
Also the person/s that keep reporting my posts to Kes for being off topic (even though they are NOT) could then go pound sand.

OR..

Maybe you could think about following the rules!!

Sorry but threads about TV shows have NOTHING to do with this subforum.
You have a habit that I've been tracking ever since you got banned from OT of trying to use these other forums as your version of OT and it's going to end and you're going to follow the rules.

Or you can go pound sand.

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 5:56 PM
Prove ONE THING I POSTED HERE isn't part of survival/prepping/shtf

"Walking Dead starts tonight!!"

Look familiar?

Don't forget even if it's deleted I can still see threads and posts.

DavidR310
10-16-2012, 6:11 PM
Prepping and shtf

Why not just emergency preparedness & survival?

Under this we could have long term and short term emergencies.

You have to word it "pc" PC. lol

For example, if I am showing my bug out bag to someone new, I do not use the term "bug out bag" I use something like 3 day earthquake kit.

My final thoughts on this, is we do not have enough traffic to warrant subforums. I would like to see emergency preparedness added to the forum title though.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 6:13 PM
OR..

You have a habit that I've been tracking ever since you got banned from OT of trying to use these other forums as your version of OT and it's going to end and you're going to follow the rules.

Sorry, I disagree 100%. I would NEVER have posted that in OT because it is SURVIVAL related!

Kes It is a TV show about ZOMBIES. Not just a TV show. Do not ZOMBIES and SHTF go together?

I do NOT have a habit of posting off topic here. NONE of my posts have been off topic. I have posted all ON TOPIC posts here. I have tried to PM you about what is allowed and you REFUSED to reply.

So I will ask you here.

What does SHTF cover? Is it NOT prepper and survival related?

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 6:18 PM
Where do you see 'shtf' listed ANYWHERE in these forums?

What I see is this:
Outdoors, Camping and Survival
Camping, hiking, survival and other outdoor activities within.

Not 'shtf', not 'preppers' and not 'zombies'.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 6:21 PM
OR..

I am following the rules 100%.

Yeah you have been tracking me and seem to be stuck on the 2 year old ban in OT. I mean you say I am posting here OT and call this forum the outdoors and accessories forum which it is NOT named its named outdoors, camping and SURVIVAL.

Why is it you are NOT banning all the other that posted PM topics here? You banned me FOR POSTING pm TOPICS saying it was off topic, BUT NOT OTHERS. I notice you are not answering all my questions.

Many have posted things that I post here and I consider ON TOPIC with SURVIVAL and they get NO WARNING AND NO BAN. Why just me?

This OT ban seems to be a sticking point with you. Its always OT. Everything is OT. That was 2 years ago, LETS MOVE ON! I have!

Maybe you should take a look at how things are run here because you ALLOW TROLLING and ALLOW what you call OT by other but not by me.

FOR THE RECORD I NEVER TRIED TO SKIRT YOUR PERM OT BAN. EVERYTHING I POSTED HERE WAS RELATED TO EITHER CAMPING, PREPPING OR SURVIVAL-SHTF.

YOU ARE WELCOME TO SHOW ME THE POST THAT DOES NOT BELONG HERE.

So go on and push the button, I'm tired of being threatened for something I dint do.

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 6:26 PM
Actually I did post your latest example and you seem to think that somehow TV zombies are related to this forum.

I'll say it again:

Where do you see 'shtf' listed ANYWHERE in these forums?

What I see is this:
Outdoors, Camping and Survival
Camping, hiking, survival and other outdoor activities within.

Not 'shtf', not 'preppers' and not 'zombies'.

wheels
10-16-2012, 6:28 PM
PC, it's pretty clear to me that this forum is Outdoors, Camping and Bushcraft in the eyes of Kes and the other Mods. Looking at the description he posted above it is clear that they did not intend for this sub forum to cover survival in it's broad definition.

Anything survival (broad definition) posted in Off Topis turns into a goat rodeo - so there isn't really a place for it on Calguns.net

ExAcHog
10-16-2012, 6:29 PM
Sorry, I disagree 100%. I would NEVER have posted that in OT because it is SURVIVAL related!

Kes It is a TV show about ZOMBIES. Not just a TV show. Do not ZOMBIES and SHTF go together?

I do NOT have a habit of posting off topic here. NONE of my posts have been off topic. I have posted all ON TOPIC posts here. I have tried to PM you about what is allowed and you REFUSED to reply.

So I will ask you here.

What does SHTF cover? Is it NOT prepper and survival related?

Man I hate to agree with P.C but he is seriously correct on ths one.

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 6:50 PM
PC, it's pretty clear to me that this forum is Outdoors, Camping and Bushcraft in the eyes of Kes and the other Mods.

This^^

This forum was never intended nor labeled as a 'SHTF/Preppers' forum.

Frankly the preppers concept was pretty much an unknown quantity when this forum was set up, if it had been it would not be lumped in with camping and hiking. Survival was added to those two because people get lost or injured when doing those activities and other outdoor activities and basic survival information fits in.

so there isn't really a place for it on Calguns.net
At this point there really isn't for several reasons.
The largest being there have been very few requests for a subforum for 'SHTF/Prepping'. A few have discussed those topics but no real request was made.

Another reason to be completely honest is there is a very serious tendency for real preparations discussions to open the door to tangentially related tin foil hattery.
It's one thing to discuss keeping precious metals around for emergencies, it's another to have to deal with rants about the gold standard and how 'money isn't really money because we're all slaves to the secret societies running the Fed and the Government'.

We don't even have a subforum for it and we've already had issues with people forming a prepper group, getting in to a disagreement offline and then bringing it here stirring up crap and stalking and harassing each other on the forum.

These reasons are not to say there can not be a forum for it but to point out some of the problems and reasons why there isn't one at this time.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 6:51 PM
Actually I did post your latest example and you seem to think that somehow TV zombies are related to this forum.

I'll say it again:

Three things.........

1.) I cannot believe I am still here after committing contempt of Moderator

2.) I applaud you for FINALLY talking this through instead of just throwing the OT ban in my face, banning me yet again and leaving me shaking my head as to why and WITHOUT the ability to ask why.

3.) I will ask again what does SHTF mean? What is ON TOPIC for SHTF?

Now a suggestion........

As you and I and many other can see SHTF means different things to different people. Why not create a few sub-forums for the survivalist-prepper board members?

If you look back at my thousands of posts you can see the majority, when not defending against the TROLLS, are prepper related. I have on occasion posted precious metals topics but those again are prepper related with regards to preserving wealth or an eco collapse.

Just my opinon....

Please clarify what SHTF topics are allowed here so I can follow your opinion rules.

Kestryll
10-16-2012, 6:57 PM
A) Read my post above yours.

B) Snarky little comments like below tend to make people less willing to discuss things, you'll find more success not just with me but with many others if you leave them at the door.
Please clarify what SHTF topics are allowed here so I can follow your opinion rules.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 7:50 PM
A) Read my post above yours.

B) Snarky little comments like below tend to make people less willing to discuss things, you'll find more success not just with me but with many others if you leave them at the door.

Ok I read the post above which I did not see before you pointed to it.

So that's it then.

Nothing I have posted here has been on topic according to that new definition. You no longer will tolerate any shtf/prepping/survival posts.
Better let all the other board members here know as there are a ton of survival-prepping posts going on here.

If I post any survival-prepping posts I am perm banned now.

Not prepping
Not Canning
Not food storage
Not food sales
Not mylar bagging
Not dehydrating for shtf
Not recipes with stored food for shtf
Not log cabins on our bug out properties etc.

That new definition just trimmed 90% of the posts out of this forum. Take a look at whats being posted here. Do not take my word for it.

Maybe you can now understand why I posted what I did. I thought shtf was survival-prepping based.

And my snarkiness came from you not talking to me for two years, just pushing the ban button and leaving me wondering why and without response capability.

I had a discussion with another mod last week that "thought" I was somehow insulting Obama by calling him O. He yelled at me in a PM and I had no idea why. I later figured out, after multiple exchanges with him, that he thought I was insulting obama by using O because other members were calling Obama 0 (zero) not O (oh). I was not using 0 (zero) and had never heard of that before. I used O as an abbreviation for Obama and because he has bumper stickers that just say O. Seemed logical to me but was a big misunderstanding with the other mod. He could have just banned me and again I would never have know why. We finally did come to an understanding in the end through discussion.

Discussion goes a long ways towards working things out sometimes. Your banning me for posting PM posts here in my mind was wrong as I was speaking to the global crisis or economic cliff we face. Which I thought was related to survival-shtf-prepping. To me all of those terms are tied together. To you they are not.

Now I know.......

gimmejr
10-16-2012, 8:03 PM
I dont think there is enough activity in this forum to divide it even more.

wheels
10-16-2012, 8:35 PM
Now I know.......

I guess you understand why I started the thread now. I don't know why you became the poster boy and took the brunt of the mods attention. Honestly I just read the thread titles in OCS and probably 60% are survival/prep related.

It's the internet, I get it, I was just tired of having people jump into threads saying I want to talk about tents. I'd go start a thread on tents and give them a link so they could go talk tents. Didn't matter, they were only happy if they could thread crap.

It made sense to me to talk survival issues with people similarly situated, specifically in SoCal since we will face different issues if things go sideways than people in Tennessee. And gun owners.

Frankly the traffic issue should be less of an issue than the legal/conspiracy issues Kes mentioned. We could have used code words and maybe hung out in the "Friends of the NRA (4 threads - 15 posts)" sub forum for a couple of months before PC got called to the principals office again.

I Keed, I Keed.....

I'd guess 25% of my activity is currently in Outdoors, Camping and Survival, but to me it was primarily of the Survival (broad definition) that I was following.

Lone_Gunman
10-16-2012, 8:58 PM
This^^

Frankly the preppers concept was pretty much an unknown quantity when this forum was set up, if it had been it would not be lumped in with camping and hiking. Survival was added to those two because people get lost or injured when doing those activities and other outdoor activities and basic survival information fits in.

The largest being there have been very few requests for a subforum for 'SHTF/Prepping'. A few have discussed those topics but no real request was made.

Another reason to be completely honest is there is a very serious tendency for real preparations discussions to open the door to tangentially related tin foil hattery.
It's one thing to discuss keeping precious metals around for emergencies, it's another to have to deal with rants about the gold standard and how 'money isn't really money because we're all slaves to the secret societies running the Fed and the Government'.

We don't even have a subforum for it and we've already had issues with people forming a prepper group, getting in to a disagreement offline and then bringing it here stirring up crap and stalking and harassing each other on the forum.

These reasons are not to say there can not be a forum for it but to point out some of the problems and reasons why there isn't one at this time.

So can we have an SHTF/Prepping sub forum? I am officially requesting one.

bloodhawke83
10-16-2012, 9:28 PM

2nd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6172crew
10-16-2012, 9:56 PM

There already is one, you just have to pay me in Ammo for access.:D

J/K:chris:

chris
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM

i'll 3rd that. it would be a good idea to add this subforum.

mindwip
10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I took survivial to mean wilderness survivial since the two words before it are outdoors and camping.

To me prepping can go in ot and if the prepping crossed over with tgis thread it goes here.

I like the walking dead but agree that is ot for this thread. It is not about that type of survival, I mean we should start posting about the office since they work to live that is survivial related.

Will 4th the prepping thread but agree the traffic will go down o well.

scootergmc
10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
You know you and KB are always taking BACKSTABBING swipes at me.

The MODS wont do ANYTHING about your trolling backstabbing remarks.

Awwww. And here I thought you had me on ignore.

Backstabbing would insinuate we had some sort of concurring and agreeable relationship in which I somehow broke your trust. Well we don't, and I didn't.

I freely admit I call out your crap. All you have to do is ask.

Let's see:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=625946 <--There's a deals forum, keep scrolling.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=623785 <-- Good job, you found some targets. Why are they posted here again?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=620142 <-- Zero to do with this forum
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=624726 <-- Duh.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621530 <-- We get it. The government is out to get us.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=602433 <-- You could've related it to survival, yet, you just post a sentence about the news.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=597524 <-- Yawn.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=598491 <-- Apparently you're banned from OT, ask about tools in here!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=596489 <-- Find that deals forum yet?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=576302 <-- Military tactics? Really?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=600902 <-- Congrats. Something happened in Oregon.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601304 <-- It's just below the WTB forum...

And let's not forget all your magical disappearing threads.

It certainly seems you act like this forum is your personal posting area. Even when there are appropriate areas for some of your threads, you post them here. Some of your threads are very outdoorsy related, and obviously on topic. I enjoy your photos and reading your posts regarding canning and long term food storage. Yet your enthusiasm and knowledge is marred by your constant youtube postings, the government's conspiracies and decrying those who may exhibit the smallest inkling of disagreement. It's a shame, as you seem to have a wealth to share. You just seem to get in your own way. Furthermore, don't you have your own prep/shtf blog or something like that? Or were you always just linking to survivalblog? Regardless, you called me out. Fair enough. Just let it be known I don't reciprocate whatever ill you feel towards me.

ExAcHog
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I 3rd this "motion" (Yes, I know it is not up for a vote!)

Looking back over just the last 30 days of posts in this O.C.& S forum, there is zero argument that having a survival/prepping/zombie sub forum would be well received.
If the Mods dont deem this sub forum as in the best interest of C.G, then that is a different story.

wheels
10-16-2012, 11:12 PM

Backstabbing would insinuate we had some sort of concurring and agreeable relationship in which I somehow broke your trust. Well we don't, and I didn't.

Let's see:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=625946 <--There's a deals forum, keep scrolling.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=623785 <-- Good job, you found some targets. Why are they posted here again?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=620142 <-- Zero to do with this forum
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621530 <-- We get it. The government is out to get us.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=602433 <-- You could've related it to survival, yet, you just post a sentence about the news.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=598491 <-- Apparently you're banned from OT, ask about tools in here!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=596489 <-- Find that deals forum yet?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=576302 <-- Military tactics? Really?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=600902 <-- Congrats. Something happened in Oregon.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601304 <-- It's just below the WTB forum...

It certainly seems you act like this forum is your personal posting area. Even when there are appropriate areas for some of your threads, you post them here. Some of your threads are very outdoorsy related, and obviously on topic. I enjoy your photos and reading your posts regarding canning and long term food storage. Yet your enthusiasm and knowledge is marred by your constant youtube postings, the government's conspiracies and decrying those who may exhibit the smallest inkling of disagreement. It's a shame, as you seem to have a wealth to share. You just seem to get in your own way. Furthermore, don't you have your own prep/shtf blog or something like that? Or were you always just linking to survivalblog? Regardless, you called me out. Fair enough. Just let it be known I don't reciprocate whatever ill you feel towards me.

Did you happen to read the rest of the thread, where I stated that there was confusion about how Outdoors, Camping and Survival was looked at by the mods vs a big percentage of the users of the sub forum. Bushcraft vs. Survival (broad definition).

Did you notice that several of those threads PC posted had good conversations going among dozens of users, none of whom wanted to talk about tents?

Now assuming the powers that be decide to create a Survival & Prepping sub forum, could we all pretend our keyboards are stuck on polite? At least for a while.

problemchild
10-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I looked at every single link you posted and ALL have to do with survival-shtf-prepping. Even the vise which would be a hand tool for preppers.

Sorry I disagree with you. And MODS this is one of the trolls I was speaking of.

Let's see:

scootergmc
10-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Did you happen to read the rest of the thread, where I stated that there was confusion about how Outdoors, Camping and Survival was looked at by the mods vs a big percentage of the users of the sub forum. Bushcraft vs. Survival (broad definition).

Did you notice that several of those threads PC posted had good conversations going among dozens of users, none of whom wanted to talk about tents?

Now assuming the powers that be decide to create a Survival & Prepping sub forum, could we all pretend our keyboards are stuck on polite? At least for a while.

Of course I read and of course I noticed the conversations. Please don't assume I'm posting without knowing what I'm posting. PC asked me to provide, I did. Conversations aside, and I'm not privy to what goes on between the mods and PC, the threads could obviously could go elsewhere (but for OT). I could post a thread about what to do with my pakistani camel coat during a zombie collapse and I'm sure that could generate some "good" conversation between dozens of users.

I suppose I could always insert a picture of a stove. As for the subforum, I'd just like it to disappear from Calguns altogether. SHTF and the tinfoil that it spawns belongs elsewhere on the net, not on Calguns. But that's just my opinion, and I'll get over it. ;)

wheels
10-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Of course I read and of course I noticed the conversations. Please don't assume I'm posting without knowing what I'm posting. PC asked me to provide, I did. Conversations aside, and I'm not privy to what goes on between the mods and PC, the threads could obviously could go elsewhere (but for OT). I could post a thread about what to do with my pakistani camel coat during a zombie collapse and I'm sure that could generate some "good" conversation between dozens of users.

I suppose I could always insert a picture of a stove. As for the subforum, I'd just like it to disappear from Calguns altogether. SHTF and the tinfoil that it spawns belongs elsewhere on the net, not on Calguns. But that's just my opinion, and I'll get over it. ;)

Well in that regard you did provide a list of threads which PC started that don't fit the definition of the sub forum being Outdoors, Camping and Bushcraft.

PC in good faith believed he was posting into a forum defined as Outdoors, Camping and Survival. Which by somewhere around 60% of it's posts fit the definition that PC thought made the posts on topic for the forum.

I'm not sure why you are irritated enough about this to invest your time, but I get why PC got pretty frustrated. Maybe we all just move on and pretend we're all on the same side.

shermola1
10-17-2012, 12:56 AM
As you can see, I rarely post anything here. However, I lurk here every day, soaking up the info from everyone. I like coming here because it is California-centric and our situation is much different than anyone else's. Since day one I've thought of this subforum as Survival/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI based on the title and the contents. If this isn't what you want this subforum to be, maybe it would be in everyone's best interest if the title was changed so that it isn't misleading. Make a new SHTF subforum, don't make a new SHTF subforum, whatever. Just make it clear what this place is for. That's just my $0.02.

This^^

Dutch3
10-17-2012, 2:44 AM
I would also welcome a "SHTF/Preps" forum.

Although looking at the "What ARE the FAQ's for this forum?" sticky would seem to indicate there already is one.

DavidR310
10-17-2012, 3:51 AM
As you can see, I rarely post anything here. However, I lurk here every day, soaking up the info from everyone. I like coming here because it is California-centric and our situation is much different than anyone else's. Since day one I've thought of this subforum as Survival/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI based on the title and the contents. If this isn't what you want this subforum to be, maybe it would be in everyone's best interest if the title was changed so that it isn't misleading. Make a new SHTF subforum, don't make a new SHTF subforum, whatever. Just make it clear what this place is for. That's just my $0.02.

Shermola said it best. If preparedness topics are not acceptable in this forum then be public with it. Do not be neutral and let us know if the majority of the higher ups do not like it.

Problemchild may be singled out, but I just bought eneloop batteries, would love to move to Idaho, learn how to can, love flashlights and think we are headed for tough times ahead thanks to our guberment. If this is all off topic for this forum, be clear about it. When in someone else's house, follow their rules. I am in your house so please let us know.

woodsman
10-17-2012, 6:41 AM
Shermola said it best. If preparedness topics are not acceptable in this forum then be public with it. Do not be neutral and let us know if the majority of the higher ups do not like it.

Problemchild may be singled out, but I just bought eneloop batteries, would love to move to Idaho, learn how to can, love flashlights and think we are headed for tough times ahead thanks to our guberment. If this is all off topic for this forum, be clear about it. When in someone else's house, follow their rules. I am in your house so please let us know.

This^^

I enjoyed this forum as it was and for what it was. Many of us greatly appreciate the contributions made by PC.

chris
10-17-2012, 9:03 AM
There already is one, you just have to pay me in Ammo for access.:D

J/K:chris:

Oh come on now. ;) You know ammo isn't cheap.

drutledge79
10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
FWIW I understood "survival" and "outdoors" (this sub-forum) to include TEOTWAYKI or SHTF or whatever. I don't get too wrapped up in it, but it's a subject I'm interested in.

Now I see how it doesn't necessarily fit. My opinion is that it should be added here or, alternately, another sub-forum added. I think a lot of the traffic in here *is* SHTF stuff. I've ignored a lot of PC's stuff but I've found many threads started by him interesting. It seems a shame to lose energetic folks...

Also, I'd like to thank you mods for the work you do. I appreciate that these forums are monitored and y'all are doing a good job of keeping the clutter to a minimum. I'm sure I don't know the half of the work you do. Hats off.

Dubious_Beans
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Well this is sad to see.
I've enjoyed quite a few of the TEOTWAWKI type threads here and I always appreciate PC's flashlight & equipment reviews and his food canning experiments. I've learned a lot of good things in this forum and don't find it that hard to ignore the TFH factor when it gets too strong. I'm kind of bummed to see this turn of events.

I've posted some of my canning experiences here because I figured that food = survival. It doesn't matter if you're republican or democrat, drive Ford or Chevy, shoot 9mm or 50BMG... we've all gotta eat something and as the price of food skyrockets and the quality and safety of many foods seems to be on an apparent decline it seems like food storage, canning, dehydrating, gardening, etc is a good topic. (What's in YOUR winter veggie garden?)

Would Kes or someone please verify for me that food storage, canning, etc is NOT a valid subject for this forum? And if not is there any place that IS acceptable besides OT. Everything gets lost so quickly in OT.
Would food be worthy of a subforum?

Thanks.

kb58
10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
You know you and KB are always taking BACKSTABBING swipes at me...
As was said, "backstabbing" implies a relationship, but there is none, so not unexpectedly, this improper term is simply more contrived drama.

I never take "swipes" at you when you talk logically and objectively - look it up. It's only when your other personality takes over and you post inflammitory unprovable claims. You're the only one who is using the label "troll" - surprise, incorrectly. "Trolling" refers to dropping inflammitory posts into forums, yet look at the chronology: things are quiet, you post, people disagree, and you get angry, over and over. You're squarely at the hub of the wheel, so stop blaming others for who exactly is trolling.

And then there's the demonstrated trait where you feel you should be allowed to post whatever you want, yet not to have anyone disagree. In several posts you even made a point up-front that "I don't want to hear anything from so-and-so for posting this." Sorry, everyone's on equal footing here and you don't have any special permissions. If you want that, start your own forum. You have the right to post whatever you want, but expect to have to defend it.

Lastly, many of "your" most inflammitory posts aren't even authored by you; they're just cut-and-paste links to fringe blogs, yet you get very angry when we disagree with the contents of that blog. You aren't the author, yet you fly off the handle as though you were.

Keeping this on-topic, I very much agree that a "SHTF" sub-forum would be very appropriate, as it'll eliminate nearly all of the "OMG" threads. Futhermore, in doing my part to defuse this, I'll try very hard to not comment in any more of your :TFH: threads, even though such silence condones legitimacy...

speedrrracer
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think SHTF (or whatever we want to call it) needs it's own forum. It's doesn't seem that this forum is overrun with new threads, and one cannot sort out (e.g.) the camping threads from the SHTF threads.

If that were the case, then a separate forum would be my request, too, but there's plenty of room in here for all of the topics which we seem to get.

I also assumed shtf threads were OK, because we've gotten participation from Librarian in some of them (BOB threads, earthquake, home rain water collection, etc, etc), so his participation I took as an implied blessing on their existence.

In sum, the forum title "as is" is still perfect and needs no changing. We should just allow all survival-related topics, not merely those pertaining to "emergencies which occur while camping".

Yes, there are the occasional tin-foil hat posts or threads, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of this forum, and I subscribe to virtually none of those opinions. Dealing with other people's views is part of America, so this forum can be considered good practice for the "real world".

It's simply not a challenge to ignore a thread containing topics I find distasteful / with which I disagree / in which I have little or no interest. Others, however, may find their experience enhanced by such threads, and if so it's a net positive for this online community.

Glad to be discussing this -- thanks for the oppty!

mindwip
10-17-2012, 1:06 PM
I think it could be said food and bug out bags, filtering water would fit in this thread but pms and some other topics might be better in ot.

As long as we keep shtf outdoors stuff in here I am happy. But night of the dead is not one of them, survivor man does fit.

Nachoman
10-17-2012, 1:14 PM

Agreed, I mean look at the FAQ post that Librarian stickied at the top of the page... there's a bunch of prepper-related posts that Librarian linked to which appears to be tacit approval of prepper topics. There's obviously a demand for a prepping related forum, either in this one or a separate subforum. I don't like navigating to a bunch of different subforums, so my vote is to just include "prepping and SHTF" in this forum and everyone will be happy.

LRShooter
10-17-2012, 1:29 PM
I thought this was the prepping/shtf forum -- just not a very active one.

ExAcHog
10-17-2012, 1:40 PM
Agreed, I mean look at the FAQ post that Librarian stickied at the top of the page... there's a bunch of prepper-related posts that Librarian linked to which appears to be tacit approval of prepper topics. There's obviously a demand for a prepping related forum, either in this one or a separate subforum. I don't like navigating to a bunch of different subforums, so my vote is to just include "prepping and SHTF" in this forum and everyone will be happy.

While I too dislike navigating through subforums, I think there is a large number of members who would rather have the "Prepping/Survival/SHTF" seperate from the "camping/outdoors" type stuff. Just my 1.5 cents

mej16489
10-17-2012, 2:10 PM
Here's what I see as the title/description of this subforum:
Outdoors, Camping and Survival Camping, hiking, survival and other outdoor activities within.

I saw talk in this thread about other titles and it sounded like its been changed...

I've always concluded that 'Survival' included to some degree 'prepping.' It's pretty difficult to survive without planning ahead. A-La the Boyscout Motto, "Be Prepared"

I agree that threads with regard to something like, 'US economy is going to fail within days' probably belong in the OT forum (I simply don't read them when they show up here)

But I'm really confused if we're not supposed to have threads about 'Get Home Bags' or other strategies which might help us to 'survive.' I've always been under the impression that these types of discussions are ok. Heck, 90% of the threads are about "survival"

There are certainly threads about general outdoors and camping too...I'm really confused now.

For whatever its worth, I love this information as a loose source of general preparedness. I was an Eagle Scout and I want to "Be Prepared" for whatever might come my way...but not in a hardcore sense. I've looked at forums dedicated to that topic, but the tinfoil-hat stuff is just too rampant.

Tinfoil-hat stuff shows up here once in awhile, but its easy for me to ignore because its rare.

I've enjoyed most of PCs contributions to this sub-forum, I'll be sorry to see him go.

Lastly, can we (or not) have a place to talk about preparedness on CalGuns.net. If not, please strike 'survival' from the sub-forum description.

vortec_cruiser
10-17-2012, 4:07 PM
It's Kestryll's bat & ball, and he'll be damned if he'll let anyone else tell him how to play the game.

whlgun
10-17-2012, 4:45 PM
So what are the chances now that we have asked for it that we get it? It seems like its a popular topic so I see no harm in a preppers subforum or letting this continue in the survival section.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the mods and kes decide.

DavidR310
10-17-2012, 5:05 PM
So what are the chances now that we have asked for it that we get it? It seems like its a popular topic so I see no harm in a preppers subforum or letting this continue in the survival section.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the mods and kes decide.

Slim to none....and slim just left town.

Nachoman
10-17-2012, 5:21 PM
While I too dislike navigating through subforums, I think there is a large number of members who would rather have the "Prepping/Survival/SHTF" seperate from the "camping/outdoors" type stuff. Just my 1.5 cents

I could see that if this subforum got a lot of traffic, but there isn't a ton of camping/outdoors threads on here to begin with, so it's not like prepping topics are adding to an already high traffic subforum. Plus the topics seem to have some similarities.

cranemech
10-17-2012, 6:30 PM
My .02

I don't see a problem with the way this forum is working currently.

If I see something I don't agree with, I don't feel a need to threadcrap, I just move along.

Dutch3
10-17-2012, 7:17 PM
Agreed, I mean look at the FAQ post that Librarian stickied at the top of the page... there's a bunch of prepper-related posts that Librarian linked to which appears to be tacit approval of prepper topics.

That is exactly what I said in post #51. The FAQ for this forum lists BOB's, Generators, Long-term food storage, extended water purification, etc., all of which state (to me, anyway) that such content is acceptable here.

If such content is not welcome, how about a definitive statement of that fact, removal or updating of the FAQ and changing the forum title to "Hiking. Camping, Birdwatching and other Outdoor Activities"?

Sleighter
10-17-2012, 7:56 PM
I realize that I'm not as senior a member as others here, only having been active on the forum for 1.5 years, but I would like to throw my hat in the ring for some amount of preparedness topics to be allowed on CGN. I find that there is great merit in seeking advice and opinions from others who are like minded.

All-in-all I think that the CG community (outside of OT) is mature and willing to discuss things in a rational way. I would hope that long-term emergency preparedness would be a part of that discussion. If not here, I hope that the mods let us know where such conversation would be appropriate.

82fb
10-17-2012, 8:31 PM
I always thought this forum was mainly a bunch of dudes... Who knew fifth grade girls were so interested in camping and survival?!!! j/k

I will add my interest in creating a separate survivalist, shtf, whatever you want to call it section. It is an interesting and thought provoking subject area, and it brings interesting people out to "play", both those with mainstream NBC, CBS, ABC views and those some might call crazy. What more could a forum want? If you don't have it here, those of us who are interested in that will find another place.

jmsenk
10-17-2012, 9:11 PM
One of the main reasons I come to Calguns is because of the preparedness and survival topics. From the first time I came here, I never thought this implied a "what to do if you're running out of food at your campsite" type of survival discussion. That would be best left to backpacking and camping type sites. This is a gun site, so I assumed the survival would be more oriented towards more adverse conditions, where a firearm is both nesecary, and available. Zombies? Mad Max scenarios? That might be pushing things a bit too far. Prepping? Stocking ammo? Canning food? Making jerkey out of things you just killed (with your Gun... In California... thus calguns) certainly these have a place here, don't they? being ready to defend yourself and your home in the event of a catastrophic earthquake, or a riot scenario, or in a very possible Without Rule of Law situation seems like it would go hand in hand with the original and overall purpose of Calguns. I even came to this subforum for personal defense topics, as the CCW and Training subforums only graze over a few of these concepts. This is, of course, my opinion, and may not be shared by Mods, or others on this forum. If that is the case, then so be it, but I appreciated a lot of what PC had to say, even if I did not agree with everything. In my mind, Survival = self reliance... for more or less everything, and especially as it pertains to this subforum.

Do I think the government is out to get us? Not at all. I don't think of it as the enemy or anything like that, but I know first hand its limitations, and that it cannot always be relied upon when it is needed. Therein lies the concept of being prepared for possible scenarios when your survival is in your own hands, and those who we trust to protect and serve us are otherwise engaged.

I roll my eyes when I see a thread about The Walking Dead in this section (even though I love the show) but I think that PC's request for info on small squad military tactics is more than justified in being here - as a matter of fact, I contributed significantly to that discussion and thought it totally appropriate for a survival forum. Where else should we go for BOB's, food storage (which the state of California even reccomends), or home defense if not here? I also like the reviews and assesments of hiking gear, boots, edible plants, survival knives, and bushcraft, but view them all to be in the same line of thinking as canning, GHB's, and back up guns. Hell isn't there a sticky here about Body Armor?

I would be very disappointed if this sub forum reverted to nature trails, camp stoves, and RV's with no discussion of possible encounters with drug runners, pot farmers, wild dogs, or angry hogs that would be made easier by the possession and use of a firearm. Afterall, it is a gun forum.

ExAcHog
10-17-2012, 9:59 PM
One of the main reasons I come to Calguns is because of the preparedness and survival topics. From the first time I came here, I never thought this implied a "what to do if you're running out of food at your campsite" type of survival discussion. That would be best left to backpacking and camping type sites. This is a gun site, so I assumed the survival would be more oriented towards more adverse conditions, where a firearm is both nesecary, and available. Zombies? Mad Max scenarios? That might be pushing things a bit too far. Prepping? Stocking ammo? Canning food? Making jerkey out of things you just killed (with your Gun... In California... thus calguns) certainly these have a place here, don't they? being ready to defend yourself and your home in the event of a catastrophic earthquake, or a riot scenario, or in a very possible Without Rule of Law situation seems like it would go hand in hand with the original and overall purpose of Calguns. I even came to this subforum for personal defense topics, as the CCW and Training subforums only graze over a few of these concepts. This is, of course, my opinion, and may not be shared by Mods, or others on this forum. If that is the case, then so be it, but I appreciated a lot of what PC had to say, even if I did not agree with everything. In my mind, Survival = self reliance... for more or less everything, and especially as it pertains to this subforum.

Do I think the government is out to get us? Not at all. I don't think of it as the enemy or anything like that, but I know first hand its limitations, and that it cannot always be relied upon when it is needed. Therein lies the concept of being prepared for possible scenarios when your survival is in your own hands, and those who we trust to protect and serve us are otherwise engaged.

I roll my eyes when I see a thread about The Walking Dead in this section (even though I love the show) but I think that PC's request for info on small squad military tactics is more than justified in being here - as a matter of fact, I contributed significantly to that discussion and thought it totally appropriate for a survival forum. Where else should we go for BOB's, food storage (which the state of California even reccomends), or home defense if not here? I also like the reviews and assesments of hiking gear, boots, edible plants, survival knives, and bushcraft, but view them all to be in the same line of thinking as canning, GHB's, and back up guns. Hell isn't there a sticky here about Body Armor?

I would be very disappointed if this sub forum reverted to nature trails, camp stoves, and RV's with no discussion of possible encounters with drug runners, pot farmers, wild dogs, or angry hogs that would be made easier by the possession and use of a firearm. Afterall, it is a gun forum.

Amen brother.....Well said

scootergmc
10-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Sticky at the top of the forum, y'all. Vote early and often.

sunborder
10-18-2012, 9:36 AM
While I'm not a fan of some of the tinfoil stuff in general, and certainly not some of the prima donna stuff on this thread in particular (I can see how Kes may not want the drama associated with some preppers), I too would like to see either this forum opened up officially to SHTF/prepper topics, or a subforum/separate forum established.

halh
10-19-2012, 12:13 AM
whilst i hate the zombie apocalypse crap, I do like the prep stuff... mostly for the earthquake potential and eventual certainty therein.
we can keep it here or put it elsewhere... but I certainly want to be able to see it.
Ifn you don't like what PC has to say, don't read it... seems pretty simple to me...

Steve1968LS2
10-19-2012, 7:30 AM
Don't feel special.

You come off as having a stick way up your rectum over Problemchild.. seriously..

DavidR310
10-19-2012, 8:02 AM
You come off as having a stick way up your rectum over Problemchild.. seriously..

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. What's the backstory on that?

wheels
10-19-2012, 9:55 AM

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. What's the backstory on that?

I'll just leave this TFH article here...

http://www.uncommonhelp.me/articles/how-to-handle-the-pain-of-unrequited-love/

scootergmc
10-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Based on his statements? Or just my responses? I'm just one of the people who often doesn't agree with him and will point it out. You may want to look elsewhere for your aforementioned stick.

chris
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Based on his statements? Or just my responses? I'm just one of the people who often doesn't agree with him and will point it out. You may want to look elsewhere for your aforementioned stick.

I don't agree with his posts sometimes I'm sure I fall into that category with him. He does post some good stuff on gear and what not. Some of the :TFH: stuff not so much.

scootergmc
10-19-2012, 1:29 PM
He does post some good stuff on gear and what not.

Yes he does.

AwakeAware1016
10-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Mods can we please have a consensus on this topic? I am interested in both an like to be able to come here and look at political 2a threads and not be far from good info for prepping and or camping etc. so far there is no clear definition.

wheels
10-20-2012, 6:19 AM
Mods can we please have a consensus on this topic? I am interested in both an like to be able to come here and look at political 2a threads and not be far from good info for prepping and or camping etc. so far there is no clear definition.

See sticky at top of thread subforum - poll and discussion ongoing.

Sanderhawk
10-20-2012, 8:24 AM

I joined this one thinking it was about general survival/ prepping / how to and it has some of that but it is mostly politics, religion and people that wear tin foil hats and think about 2012 and ufos. Not near as good a site as I thought it would be.

EmptySkuLL
10-20-2012, 8:50 AM

I also second another vote for a separate forum or subforum. I dont post on here much, however I am on here lurking quite a bit to soak in information.

In conversatons with others on Calguns who DONT post, but enjoy reading such topics I do believe there are more people on here that come in to look at the topics that PC posts but dont say much for fear of being attacked or ridiculed as his "followers, roadies, allies, etc"...

If anybody out there reading this post wants to have a separate forum/subforum for this, PLEASE reply to this thread and make an "official" request so the mods can see that there is enough interest in it.

Its sad to see a few vocal/outspoken posters drive an interesting subject underground or classify it as taboo. I liken it to the "occupy protesters" who are very vocal and get craploads of media attention, but are in reality the minority of public opinion because the majority does not comment. I pose to you the concept that people (like myself) are interested but just dont want to get "sucked in" to the drama.

I plead with the rest of the Calgunners who find these topics interesting, to make thier opinion heard so that we can have a separate forum/subforum/whatever.

Thanks.

*** Update on the poll voting: as of 10/20/12 0922 hrs, there are/were 108 votes and 54 replies to the poll thread regarding this subject, that goes to show that people are at least interested in this topic, and at least TWICE the amount of people (im not even taking into account the multiple posts by the same users) are interested silently, not bothering to voice thier opinion. This highlights my above assertion that most people are interested in reading the topic, but DONT bother posting or being vocal about it. ***

scootergmc
10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Its sad to see a few vocal/outspoken posters drive an interesting subject underground or classify it as taboo. I liken it to the "occupy protesters" who are very vocal and get craploads of media attention, but are in reality the minority of public opinion because the majority does not comment. I pose to you the concept that people (like myself) are interested but just dont want to get "sucked in" to the drama.

:rolleyes: The forum's original intent has been well-stated by the owner. He's listening to the "occupy protesters" by opening the poll and considering a separate forum.

Johnnyboy1
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
If i may, be very careful on survivalistboards. I have an account on that site, one of my familie members does. Apparently he was banned, later i recieved a message telling me i was being banned for having an alternate account. I did try to argue my case and all the mods got on and started posting against me.
I did get banned and am not able to contact them
There are more trolls on there than helpful people
Jerry d young is great, the others not so much