PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis vs Savage 11

icentropy
10-15-2012, 7:43 PM
Hi guys. I'm looking for a decent entry level .308 hunting rifle. I have narrowed it down to two options at two different price points.

$299- Savage Axis combo with scope in .308
From what i've found online a trigger job on these rifles is as easy as $1 in a spring and sping pin at ace hardware and a little polishing. That has been proven to bring the stock trigger pull down to around 3lbs and apparently these are actually amazingly accurate out of the box considering the price point.

$449 - Savage 11 combo with scope in .308
This one's got the accutrigger already installed and a better scope with drop compinsation already on it. Don't know if it's really any more accurate than the axis and there's a good chance that they both are alot more accurate than I'll be as a beginner hunter.

They're both blued barrels with composite stocks. The savage 11 has a detachable magazine and a better scope but is 50% more. I have a wife and a young son that will be using this rifle as a learning tool once i'm done with it and graduate to a better savage or a Remington 700. I'm leaning towards the Axis as it seems like it would be a great hunting (bang around, get dirty/wet) rifle and would be a good cheap rifle to teach the whole family to shoot on without worrying about it too much. Later on it would be a good loner rifle for when family comes over to shoot. What do you guys think?

drunktank
10-15-2012, 7:49 PM
The 11 since the aftermarket is night and day. You can easily swap barrels and stocks (every single part of the gun , really). Not so much with the Axis. The axis also feels "clumsy" in my hands but ymmv.

icentropy
10-15-2012, 7:55 PM
turns out the model of the 11 is 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

desertjosh
10-15-2012, 7:58 PM
I own the Axis and I love it. Even with the stiff trigger I can shoot MOA wih factory loads. You are correct on the trigger upgrade Im going to do it soon. The cheap Bushnell that it came with hasnt lost its zero after ~300 rounds. I think it is the best bang for the buck for sure. The accutrigger is obviously a better trigger(but I havent felt the trigger upgrade on the Axis yet though). The poster above me is correct about the 11 having alot more aftermarket support, but I was just looking for a cheap, accurate gun. Oh btw. The bolt is really smooth, and the Axis is a detachable mag too. Good luck!

Springfield45
10-15-2012, 9:00 PM
I have a Savage model 11 in .308 with a Leopold VX-3 CDS scope on it. It is a assume combo that drives tacks. It likes the 168-175 grain bullets.

rusty815
10-15-2012, 9:41 PM
the model 11 is definitely worth the extra 150, it had a better trigger and is better built, plus there is a very large aftermarket for parts.

Bug Splat
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Get the 11. It will allow you build up over the years to a top shelf rifle.

Coolguy101
10-16-2012, 9:29 AM
The scope that comes on the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP is a $180 Nikon scope, vs the cheap Bushnell that comes on the Axis.

If you figure that into the cost of the rifle, you come out way ahead on parts and quality for the price.

BomarFab
10-16-2012, 9:41 AM
Get the Savage 11/111, or look into the Stevens rifles. Basically a downgraded Savage, but with aftermarket support unlike the Axis.

Vacaville
10-16-2012, 9:58 AM
My only hesitation on the Savage 11 is that it may not come with the Accutrigger. Be sure to check. Most Savages have it, but I checked a model 11 out a couple years back that didn't. With all the inexpensive quality rifles out there nowadays there's no reason to not have a good adjustable trigger.

I usually hate combos because the scopes suck, but in this case, yes, Nikon makes good scopes. The question is whether the magnification range is right for your use. What are you using the rifle for? If it's a short - medium range hunting rifle (out to 300 yards or so) a 3 - 9x will be fine. Any further out, or if you want to do precision target shooting, you'll probably want more magnification. Purpose should always determine equipment when it comes to gun purchases.