PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15 Sport - Should I do barrel break in?

Fherot
10-15-2012, 2:50 PM
I was supposed to go out this weekend to shoot my new M&P 15 for first time but it got really windy so it looks like this Saturday.

Do you guys do the barrel break in on AR15's? This barrel is Melonite treated not chromed If that has any purpose.

I don't consider it a precision rifle but if it helps then I don't see why not and just take some ballistol and a boresnake with me.

Thanks

pontiacpratt
10-15-2012, 3:02 PM
If by break it in means shoot as much ammo as you can afford as fast as you can afford...then yes

high_revs
10-15-2012, 3:03 PM
you'll get varying answers here fherot.

i don't do the shoot once, clean shoot, clean routine.

bishop2queen's6
10-15-2012, 3:19 PM
Clean before your first time out. Its always good to throw some fresh lube on critical parts. After that, clean when ever accuracy wavers or cycling issues.

Fherot
10-15-2012, 3:21 PM
But no actual break in of clean every round for 5 rounds then once every 5 for 25 rounds etc...

I've never broken in a rifle barrel this way before but it's my firs AR and I don't mind farting around with it.

AeroEngi
10-15-2012, 3:26 PM
No break-in required. Just shoot it, have fun and clean it when you bring it back home.

stix213
10-15-2012, 3:31 PM
I would only go through a formal break in for a long range precision rifle, and even then I haven't seen a convincing scientific test that shows it helps any.

FMJBT
10-15-2012, 3:33 PM
Breaking in a melonited barrel is going to be pointless. The surface hardness is high enough that it's not really practical. Ammo cost to "break in" would likely be several times the cost of a new barrel. To open the other proverbial can of worms, it can be argued that the entire idea of "barrel break in" itself is pretty much pointless to begin with. Just FUD started by barrel manufacturers to accelerate the wear process on barrels so they can sell more of them. In short, just shoot it, and clean it when you get around to it. It's a gun, it's not gonna get upset if you sometimes put it away dirty.

Fherot
10-15-2012, 3:49 PM
Good enough for me thanks everyone. I was hoping it wasn't required or anything. It's waiting patiently to be fired this weeken and all I can do is watch some walkin dead or Blackhawk down with it on my lap...

My friend says he's going to tap FA and flip Dust cover on his AR Everytime I take M&P out so he finally has a use for them.

Mossy Man
10-15-2012, 4:11 PM
IMO without a dust cover or forward assist, you have two less features to possibly fail.

Merc1138
10-15-2012, 4:19 PM
Barrel break-in is absolutely essential.
TRRahHX9Zkg

Mossy Man
10-15-2012, 4:50 PM
Barrel break-in is absolutely essential.
TRRahHX9Zkg

lol good one

myk
10-15-2012, 4:58 PM
Good enough for me thanks everyone. I was hoping it wasn't required or anything. It's waiting patiently to be fired this weeken and all I can do is watch some walkin dead or Blackhawk down with it on my lap...

Lol I was doing that last night with the Colt...

CK_32
10-15-2012, 5:37 PM
You must!! Your rifle will key hole after 200 rounds if you don't. Only on M&P sports tho.

Fherot
10-15-2012, 5:46 PM
Best barrel break in guide I've watched. Thank you kind sir.

nitroxdiver
10-15-2012, 5:57 PM
Quick wipe down, bolt lube, patch down the bore and a quick look for Bbl obstructions. Stock up on ammunition and go have fun!!

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

scobun
10-15-2012, 6:36 PM
I would only go through a formal break in for a long range precision rifle, and even then I haven't seen a convincing scientific test that shows it helps any.

Yep.

Breaking in a melonited barrel is going to be pointless. The surface hardness is high enough that it's not really practical.

Yep.

Quick wipe down, bolt lube, patch down the bore and a quick look for Bbl obstructions. Stock up on ammunition and go have fun!!

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

Yep.

Jet Setter
10-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Naturally, I would always recommend a quick clean before your first shoot. Wipe things down, lube the bolt, run some patches down the barrel. After that, you are GTG.

Fherot
10-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I've already drowned the BCG/Charging Handle/Bore with Ballistol and then wiped off most of it except for the 4-points on the BCG... Though I did clean it a couple times just because I haven't been able to shoot it yet...

Merc1138
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I've already drowned the BCG/Charging Handle/Bore with Ballistol and then wiped off most of it except for the 4-points on the BCG... Though I did clean it a couple times just because I haven't been able to shoot it yet...

Jokes about break-in aside, don't make a habit out of that(cleaning your guns unnecessarily). If you're not actually doing any cleaning, all you're doing is putting wear on things and risking unnecessary damage.

drunktank
10-16-2012, 4:42 AM
I'm currently on my 3rd M&P upper. All have been MOA @100yds (with a good shooter i.e. not me). None were "broken in", just shot a lot.

glock7
10-16-2012, 5:19 AM
lubricate it with mud, put sand in the action, then shoot it.

Fherot
10-16-2012, 7:58 AM
I don't think I can cause wear by over cleaning with ballistol. It treats metal the longer it sits I don't scrub at parts violently or anything.

I just spent months watching all these carbine videos and I finally have my very own so I like taking it apart and fondling the BCG components a bit...

luchador768
10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
More guns have been ruied by over/improper cleaning than you think. I had a garand that was a training rifle. The recruits had wrecked the crown, and boogered up the chamber with agressive, well intentioned cleaning. Only clean it when it's dirty, and Mayer even not then.

EddieEd
10-16-2012, 4:35 PM
I took my M&P 15 sport to the range the weekend after I purchased it, all I did was check for a clean gun and nothing in the barrel.

At the range the gun was shooting better than me at 50yds. At first I couldn't tell were the bullets were going cause I didn't have a scope but once I walked out to the target, 18 out of my first 2 mags was within a 6in circle and half that within a 3in circle with a few bullseyes. That was right out of the box with nothing more than a kiss on her. And my eyes are getting worse every year it seems.

I was almost temped to shoot with my eyes close to see how well the gun just took to the target on itís own but I didnít want to freak out the range sissy and kept my temptation under rap.

Love shooting my M&P 15 and I havenít even put a scope or red dot on it yet, iron sights seem to be doing good at 50yrds. Thinking that with a scope Iíll be able to shoot balls off a fly. Well ok maybe not that good but if I can hit a 3in target at 50yrds with my shaky hands and decreasing eye sight, sheís good to go.

Mossy Man
10-16-2012, 5:31 PM
please dont shoot with your eyes closed

Mossy Man
10-16-2012, 5:32 PM
double

feelgood
10-16-2012, 9:43 PM
There's not such thing as "break-in" in the owners' manual. Just give it a little cleaning before you shoot it and definitely after.

rojocorsa
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
No you don't need to break it in.

Just shoot it.

Sunday
10-21-2012, 7:39 PM
What is there to break in? The most barrel wear comes from cleaning.