PDA

View Full Version : Modifications to install Tapco G2 in unconverted Saiga?

mhswlee
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
So I finally got to the point where I realized that I need to replace the trigger control group in my unconverted (Izhmash) Saiga 7.62x39. Based on various reviews, I have determined that the best, most cost efficient option is the Tapco G2 (AK 0650 Single).

However, I have heard various accounts as to what modifications are necessary to install the G2; the most common element being the removal of a protrusion on the hammer, which contacts the bolt hold open. Is this all?

I wanted to definitively determine everything that I need to do. Pictures would be appreciated.

21SF
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Just convert it then throw a grap wrap on it, you will be glad you did.

The G2 isn't going to be as good as it can be in an unconverted rifle.

Harrison_Bergeron
10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
If you haven't bought your trigger group yet you should just check out Dinzag, they sell pre-modified Tapco sets that just drop in.

Revolver Ocelot
10-15-2012, 1:54 PM
So I finally got to the point where I realized that I need to replace the trigger control group in my unconverted (Izhmash) Saiga 7.62x39. Based on various reviews, I have determined that the best, most cost efficient option is the Tapco G2 (AK 0650 Single).

However, I have heard various accounts as to what modifications are necessary to install the G2; the most common element being the removal of a protrusion on the hammer, which contacts the bolt hold open. Is this all?

I wanted to definitively determine everything that I need to do. Pictures would be appreciated.

The tapco will not work at all unless you convert your rifle and move the trigger group up to where it is really supposed to be.

If you do convert and could care less about the bolt hold open the trigger will drop in unmodified.

If you like the bolt hold open a section of the hammer will need to be filed in order to make it work. Don't worry about the hump, that is only for the shotguns.

eclectic
10-15-2012, 2:42 PM
Forgive me for saying so, but won't this trigger 922r compliance laws?

hermosabeach
10-15-2012, 4:26 PM
922r deals with building and or converting to non sporting configurations

(And blah blah blah- I am not a lawyer)

So as long as you do not add a feature covered by 922r, you should remain compliant with a different trigger, sear, disconnector- etc

I grabbed this from another site- maybe Librarian can correct us if I am off track

"Sporting" Purposes
Here's where things get a little tricky. Some rifles, such as the Saiga line, are imported for sporting purposes in a particular configuration. Generally, that means that do not incorporate any of the "evil" features that are typically associated with so-called "semi-automatic assault weapons". Chapter 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations Section 478.11 defines these SAWs. You can read the law, here. Specific examples of these features include:

- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs
If your rifle or shotgun incorporates those features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

zfields
10-15-2012, 4:31 PM
The tapco will not work at all unless you convert your rifle and move the trigger group up to where it is really supposed to be.

If you do convert and could care less about the bolt hold open the trigger will drop in unmodified.

If you like the bolt hold open a section of the hammer will need to be filed in order to make it work. Don't worry about the hump, that is only for the shotguns.

You can modify it for uncovered rifles. I believe its cutting g off the trigger, but don't hold me to it.

Basically if you don't want to covert, but use hicaps, the trigger parts help with meeting 922r

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

mhswlee
10-16-2012, 12:22 AM
As the others have mentioned, I intend to keep it in the factory configuration to avoid using a bullet button (which is of a precarious legality) and because I don't want to deal with 922r compliance.

So will people answer the question? I know that some people have done it, I just need to know more about the process.

EDIT: Refer to the Dinzag page: http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

There is a section labelled "Saiga Factory Config". I see that the trigger has been removed from the disconnector. I assume then that the factory trigger component is used with the Tapco disconnector and hammer (which has a portion removed for the bolt hold open); this would make sense, as the trigger's arm was elongated for the Saiga. Is that all that needs to be done? Any advice for how much of the trigger needs removing?

mhswlee
10-16-2012, 8:36 PM
Bump. I would like some input on this matter before I start slicing and dicing. =\

zfields
10-16-2012, 8:56 PM
Have you checked over on Saiga-12 yet?

CptDan
10-17-2012, 6:58 AM

I have bought the Dinzag Tapco trigger and use it for some time. I did however convert my Saiga long barrel 7.62-39 to the AK grip. I could dig around and find it if you would be interested in buying it.

mhswlee
10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I have bought the Dinzag Tapco trigger and use it for some time. I did however convert my Saiga long barrel 7.62-39 to the AK grip. I could dig around and find it if you would be interested in buying it.

Oh. Well, I have a G2 trigger here already...

Trade? Haha.

CptDan
10-18-2012, 8:53 AM
Oh. Well, I have a G2 trigger here already...

Trade? Haha.

Yes I could do that, you have a PM

mhswlee
10-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Eh. So I was convinced to convert my gun after all. The factory Saiga is inherently limited by the Rube Goldberg trigger linkage. Thanks everyone, for your help.