PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 "Lazy Ejections" problem...

ExtremeX
10-15-2012, 12:57 AM
H0jYUfi1uh0

Not my video... but does anyone know what would be causing problems like this? I am experiencing something just like this.

Rifle is new, cleaned and lubed, and just went out for its first range trip…

Something I can fix/remedy at home?

DasBoost
10-15-2012, 6:38 AM
Hmmm, don't know of anything specific, but I'm guessing it would be something with the gassing the way it short strokes like that. I'd check if the gas block was properly torqued down, maybe open it up and see if there is anything in the lower half, like there was a smaller bushing in there. I figured that the first thing Ruger would have checked though... I'd head over to Perfect Union and check out the Mini section over there- it's the place to go for all things Mini. GunDoc may be able to help you out.

FeuerFrei
10-15-2012, 8:41 AM
If you can rule out mags and ammo with proper lube, I would send it back.
"Lazy ejection" points to a problem with ejector or its spring.
Not ejecting is usually gas problem or op rod is binding.
Rule out the ammo and mags first. Use known good mags and different ammo.

sholling
10-15-2012, 8:46 AM
I'd send it back to Ruger. Minis are usually known for sending brass flying so far it's practically low earth orbit.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-15-2012, 8:48 AM
My question is could it have been the ammo he was using with the first batch? I mean he had 0 FTE with the Lake City ammo. With it short stroking like it was with the first mag, I would guess that the ammo was under-powered. It looked like the recoil wasn't enough to force the bolt back all the way. That would mean that it didn't go back far enough for the ejector to trip and knock the spent case out. Just a guess though.

-Mb

ExtremeX
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
If you can rule out mags and ammo with proper lube, I would send it back.
"Lazy ejection" points to a problem with ejector or its spring.
Not ejecting is usually gas problem or op rod is binding.
Rule out the ammo and mags first. Use known good mags and different ammo.

My question is could it have been the ammo he was using with the first batch? I mean he had 0 FTE with the Lake City ammo. With it short stroking like it was with the first mag, I would guess that the ammo was under-powered. It looked like the recoil wasn't enough to force the bolt back all the way. That would mean that it didn't go back far enough for the ejector to trip and knock the spent case out. Just a guess though.

-Mb

Multiple magazines were used for testing, the OEM flush fit mag + 2 10 RD mags… and the problem happened with all 3 magazines.

We tested different types of ammo that day and encountered the same problem with every brand 1-2 times per magazine… total rounds fired that day was close to about 200 rounds.

Federal 5.56 55gr M193
Federal FC .223 55gr
PMC .223 55gr

cabinetguy
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
If yours is new, I would contact ruger, there is definantly a problem. My mini shoots brass into the next county, unless I am at the range, then I can locate the brass by listening for a pissed off shooter a few lanes down.

6mmintl
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Try a good synthetic wheel bearing grease on bearing sufaces, stay away from light oils and "breakfree/CLP"

gun toting monkeyboy
10-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Multiple magazines were used for testing, the OEM flush fit mag + 2 10 RD mags… and the problem happened with all 3 magazines.

We tested different types of ammo that day and encountered the same problem with every brand 1-2 times per magazine… total rounds fired that day was close to about 200 rounds.

Federal 5.56 55gr M193
Federal FC .223 55gr
PMC .223 55gr

Well that rules out the ammo. I would send it back to Ruger. A mini-14 shouldn't do that. I have two 181 series rifles, and while I may often ***** about their lack of accuracy, and their poor performance with after market magazines, the one thing I have never had an issue with in 20+ years is them going "Bang!" every time I pulled the trigger. If it is doing that with factory magazines, there is a problem.

-Mb

ExtremeX
10-15-2012, 4:04 PM
Considering the rifle is brand new, I’m going to just call Ruger and have them take care of it…

I have never had to ship a firearm before… is there a certain way to go about doing it?

Do I have to have an FFL ship it out for me? Or do I have to use a certain carrier? Any do/don’t tips?

Mossy Man
10-15-2012, 6:01 PM
ruger should send you a pre-paid common carrier box, and you have to send it to drop it off to the actual store not a box store

prob
10-15-2012, 6:18 PM
Considering the rifle is brand new, I’m going to just call Ruger and have them take care of it…

I have never had to ship a firearm before… is there a certain way to go about doing it?

Do I have to have an FFL ship it out for me? Or do I have to use a certain carrier? Any do/don’t tips?

You can send it through the USPS.

Distro
10-15-2012, 6:50 PM
The people who stand far away from me when I fire my mini would love it if it had lazy ejection problems.

DasBoost
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
The people who stand far away from me when I fire my mini would love it if it had lazy ejection problems.

Or a different bushing. :p If anyone is at USI and sees a guy pre-apologizing to the lanes 3 and 4 to his right, it is probably me. :D:o