PDA

View Full Version : Adams Arms Piston conversion kit for 7.62x51

RekEnhanced
10-14-2012, 4:59 PM
Does anyone have any info on when they are supposed to release this? Their website just says they are working on it but no other info and only lord knows how long ago they posted that. Just curious if anyone has heard anything.

STI
10-14-2012, 5:01 PM
I am curious about this as well.

wash
10-14-2012, 8:52 PM
Why?

A .308 AR seems to be just a way to make a more accurate long range rifle with ergonomics similar to an AR15.

A gas piston system would make it less accurate and for a long range rifle it's more about slow precise shots from cover than rolling in the dirt at a carbine class and shooting the cheapest crummy ammo you can find.

The ideas just takes the best thing an AR .308 has going for it (accuracy) and compromises that for a theoretical increase of reliability.

I've never heard of AR .308s having problems with dirty bolts due to direct impingement.

Probably because people don't run them like an AR15 but that makes a gas piston system even less needed.

21SF
10-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Why?

A .308 AR seems to be just a way to make a more accurate long range rifle with ergonomics similar to an AR15.

A gas piston system would make it less accurate and for a long range rifle it's more about slow precise shots from cover than rolling in the dirt at a carbine class and shooting the cheapest crummy ammo you can find.

The ideas just takes the best thing an AR .308 has going for it (accuracy) and compromises that for a theoretical increase of reliability.

I've never heard of AR .308s having problems with dirty bolts due to direct impingement.

Probably because people don't run them like an AR15 but that makes a gas piston system even less needed.
This !!!
Gimmicks, flame suit on.

NSR500
10-14-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a wonderful gas piston 7.62x51. It's called an FAL... :cool:

Plisk
10-15-2012, 12:34 AM
I have a wonderful gas piston 7.62x51. It's called an FAL... :cool:

I have one as well. My M1A.

If not, I use to have my PTR-91.

RekEnhanced
10-15-2012, 1:07 AM
Who cares why anyone would want one? That wasn't the question. I don't need a long diatribe as to why I should prefer someone else's opinion of which methodology is superior. Anyone who has any information on the initial question please bestow it upon us. If you don't see the vision of a piston .308 AR, fantastic, don't buy/build one.

wash
10-15-2012, 9:44 PM
Well you could get a Saiga.

goodlookin1
10-16-2012, 6:37 AM
The main reason no one is jumping into getting a piston kit out for a 7.62x51 AR style'd rifle is because there is no "Milspec" for them. All 308 AR rifles are different in little ways, from length and weight of BCG, to length of receivers, gas hole placement, rail height, etc.....you would need probably 8 different versions just to cover DPMS and Armalite alone with all the different gas length systems. They would need to make 2 different BCG's too. Then there's the SR-25, RRA LAR-8, and I'm sure a few other ones in there with custom size requirements. They may all look nearly the same, but they are all, in fact, different.

The fact is, you cant just go to the store and throw some "AR-10" parts together.....they really should be made specifically for that specific rifle. And when you have lots of different parts to make for different sized rifles, the cost to manufacture goes WAY up.....not to mention there are WAAAYYY FEWER .308 ARs out there than there are AR-15's, which means they would be selling WAAAYYY FEWER kits. Monetarily speaking, I just cant see how it would make sense for a manufacturer to put the R&D and tooling expense into such a project for such a small market segment. You gotta think, no everyone with a .308 AR is going to want a piston kit on it. My guess is that it would be a much more profitable venture to build a rifle from the ground up with a custom fit piston operated cycling system than to build kits for numerous, differently sized rifles.

I've desired a piston operated 308 AR as well, but the extra weight, cost and real benefit would push it into the "overkill and unnecessary" category for me......that is if such a kit were to even exist, which it currently doesnt. My suggestion would be to forget it because it likely wont happen, at least any time soon.....but I've been known to be wrong in the past :cool:

STI
10-16-2012, 8:41 AM
The main reason no one is jumping into getting a piston kit out for a 7.62x51 AR style'd rifle is because there is no "Milspec" for them. All 308 AR rifles are different in little ways, from length and weight of BCG, to length of receivers, gas hole placement, rail height, etc.....you would need probably 8 different versions just to cover DPMS and Armalite alone with all the different gas length systems. They would need to make 2 different BCG's too. Then there's the SR-25, RRA LAR-8, and I'm sure a few other ones in there with custom size requirements. They may all look nearly the same, but they are all, in fact, different.

The fact is, you cant just go to the store and throw some "AR-10" parts together.....they really should be made specifically for that specific rifle. And when you have lots of different parts to make for different sized rifles, the cost to manufacture goes WAY up.....not to mention there are WAAAYYY FEWER .308 ARs out there than there are AR-15's, which means they would be selling WAAAYYY FEWER kits. Monetarily speaking, I just cant see how it would make sense for a manufacturer to put the R&D and tooling expense into such a project for such a small market segment. You gotta think, no everyone with a .308 AR is going to want a piston kit on it. My guess is that it would be a much more profitable venture to build a rifle from the ground up with a custom fit piston operated cycling system than to build kits for numerous, differently sized rifles.

I've desired a piston operated 308 AR as well, but the extra weight, cost and real benefit would push it into the "overkill and unnecessary" category for me......that is if such a kit were to even exist, which it currently doesnt. My suggestion would be to forget it because it likely wont happen, at least any time soon.....but I've been known to be wrong in the past :cool:

That is a very good point, but I still want a piston 308AR. I will probably just get the Sig 716. I have a piston AR15 and love how clean it is even after shooting hundreds of rounds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk